• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Snake oil for your cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Interestingly enough, this would actually make the connections work. Solder joints start grow tin whiskers much more readily in space. No one knows why.
Interesting stuff, though I still don't think space-based cable manufacturing is a very good idea :roll: No doubt the audiophile placebophile community would gobble them up, though.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700 (3900MHz@1.275V, Vsoc 1.025V)
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact (BIOS 1302, Vsb 1.04V, SenseMI Skew 273)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A (full custom loop building in progress)
Memory 2*8GB G.Skill Trident Z B&W (3600 14-14-14-14-28-42 1T 1.45V, GDM off, ProcODT 53, CAD 24-24-24-24)
Video Card(s) Radeon RX Vega64 Frontier Edition Air 16G (Core 1667MHz@1.07625V, Mem 1330@0.9375V)
Storage SSD: 120GiB + 240GiB + 480GiB. HDD: 1TiB + 2TiB. Backup: Ultrium LTO-6 6.25TiB.
Display(s) AOC C27G1
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) Audio-technica ATH-AD900X
Power Supply BeQuiet! SFX-L Power 600W
Mouse A4Tech XL-747H
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K500
Software Gentoo-latest amd64-hardened, Windows 10 Pro WS x64.
That just means your power wiring in the house is pretty shit to begin with. I've never had such problems with just normal wiring from top to bottom on every single device anywhere. Start with grounded sockets... I mean, its not rocket science and certainly doesn't warrant BS cables like this.

A reasonable expensive amp I have which I bought many years ago is grounded, it takes a normal 3 pin plug. A very cheap 5.1 surround amp does not suffer from this. Some amps are sensitive to home electrical appliance & blaming house wiring, well that's another thing & needs to be proven.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
A reasonable expensive amp I have which I bought many years ago is grounded, it takes a normal 3 pin plug. A very cheap 5.1 surround amp does not suffer from this. Some amps are sensitive to home electrical appliance & blaming house wiring, well that's another thing & needs to be proven.

Hey its not my problem at all, I'm not buying overpriced cables here lol

Its entirely up to you how you choose to fix an issue, just saying that is the more likely cause and you have likely not fixed that at all. You might be better off having your power box and wiring checked out by a certified electrician if you have those surges from other equipment. Always fix a problem as close to the source as possible...

Please stop. You're just embarassing yourself at this point.

Electrical power lines don't even use copper, they're made of aluminium to make the cables lighter, thus requiring fewer pylons and making the pylons themselves lighter. The electricity "from the street" has been carried hundreds of miles through aluminium, then to a substation where it is carried through commodity grade copper to the junction box on your street from which more commodity grade copper gets it to your houses electrical box (Which also uses commodity grade copper on it's connections), from which it goes through yet more commodity grade copper to your outlets.

And you're telling me that after all of that low spec material, using 1m of cryogenically treated ultra super mega copper is going to change the properties of your home electricity? It's horseshit and you know it.

"Ultra high end audio users" in your post can be considered synonymous with "gullible idiots who have been sold magic bullshit by audio companies".

Anyway, @delshay, here's a great video that will educate you on why digital audio really is digital:

You will note he is using lab equipment more than capable of reproducing even inaudibly tiny differences in the signal.

The person that claims he got mains direct from the street into his house for his high end audio is something I read in "What Hi-Fi" many years ago. I don't know how true it is & I can't prove such a thing really happened.

If such a event did happen, then this person may of had the same problem I had, household appliance interference.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Indeed, I’ve read that too.

Some of the best sound I’ve heard came from lamp cord on a spool from the hardware store, an old silver faced Rotel amp that weighed as much as a small child, and some Angstrom floor standing speakers :laugh:

That was many moons ago though.

Indeed, I’ve read that too.

Some of the best sound I’ve heard came from lamp cord on a spool from the hardware store, an old silver faced Rotel amp that weighed as much as a small child, and some Angstrom floor standing speakers :laugh:

That was many moons ago though.

I was really, really taken back by these speakers many years ago https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264374798642

The person that claims he got mains direct from the street into his house for his high end audio is something I read in "What Hi-Fi" many years ago. I don't know how true it is & i can't prove such a thing really happened.
It doesn't matter how true it is or if it really happened. If it didn't happen he's lying. If it did happen he's imagining the benefit.

Again, the national grid transports power over hundreds if not thousands of miles of aluminium and industrial copper. You cannot "fix" that by using a fancy cable for the last 0.00001% of the journey it makes from power station to your device.

Any degradation in signal quality occurring due to power supply noise is not the fault of the grid, it is the fault of the power supply in your device being poorly designed. Look at the power supply reviews on this very website - voltage stability, droop, ripple etc are all addressed by the PSU manufacturer and nobody is blaming the national grid for poor PSU performance. Jonny Guru isn't reviewing PSUs anymore but when he did, he never told users to he wary of the condition of their local grid just in case noise from the substation or junction box affected the PSU he was reviewing. The PSU is literally designed to make any variation in the amount of noise received, a non factor, by rectifying and stabilizing the input voltages.

If it can't do that properly its a bad power supply. If you're spending oodles on a super high end amplifier and it can't meet the standards of a commodity PC PSU then you're being taken for a ride by it's manufacturer.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM

Because $500 for a USB cable wasn't an obvious enough ripoff, companies are literally now making snake oil for your cables.
LMFAO! Just like the Audiophile industry this too was only a matter of time!
They finally found another industry they can sucker into there snake oil BS!
You just have to love the tenacity of the BS snake oil industry they will try to tell you that the speaker wire you use isn't good enough NO not at all so they sell MORONS 10K-70K wires for there speakers LMFAO now they have there eyes set on the HDMI/ USB and other computer cables? OMG
What's next? Soon to be told that you 4k Ultra isn't really 4k until you have there special 10k wires? WOW!

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
4K is the next 480p :p
Or was it 720p :confused:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
4K is the next 480p :p
Or was it 720p :confused:
it's all just .

https _d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_af83b90e-5b13-43ca-88da-42973ae3e6cc.png

It doesn't matter how true it is or if it really happened. If it didn't happen he's lying. If it did happen he's imagining the benefit.

Again, the national grid transports power over hundreds if not thousands of miles of aluminium and industrial copper. You cannot "fix" that by using a fancy cable for the last 0.00001% of the journey it makes from power station to your device.

Any degradation in signal quality occurring due to power supply noise is not the fault of the grid, it is the fault of the power supply in your device being poorly designed. Look at the power supply reviews on this very website - voltage stability, droop, ripple etc are all addressed by the PSU manufacturer and nobody is blaming the national grid for poor PSU performance. Jonny Guru isn't reviewing PSUs anymore but when he did, he never told users to he wary of the condition of their local grid just in case noise from the substation or junction box affected the PSU he was reviewing. The PSU is literally designed to make any variation in the amount of noise received, a non factor, by rectifying and stabilizing the input voltages.

If it can't do that properly its a bad power supply. If you're spending oodles on a super high end amplifier and it can't meet the standards of a commodity PC PSU then you're being taken for a ride by it's manufacturer.

At that time I don't think electrical equipment needed to meet todays standard emission. This is probably why my amp suffers from this & I don't think anyone with a expensive amp is going to mod it. I could mod my amp as it has a complete separate PSU which weighs a ton, but I won't, just in-case it changes the sound.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
At that time I don't think electrical equipment needed to meet todays standard emission. This is probably why my amp suffers from this & I don't think anyone with a expensive amp is going to mod it. I could mod my amp as it has a complete separate PSU which weighs a ton, but I won't, just in-case it changes the sound.
WHAT? No you can not mod the PSU on your AMP. it's designed a certain way to produced power for sound it's not just some computer PSU you can plug and play MAN people...
I have worked on stereos and TV's all my life and no you just can not even interchange a PSU from one amp to another unless everything is a perfect match.
Please lets leave out any talk of emissions and green environmental SNAKE OIL BULLSHITZ! Thank you.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
WHAT? No you can not mod the PSU on your AMP. it's designed a certain way to produced power for sound it's not just some computer PSU you can plug and play MAN people...
I have worked on stereos and TV's all my life and no you just can not even interchange a PSU from one amp to another unless everything is a perfect match.
Please lets leave out any talk of emissions and green environmental SNAKE OIL BULLSHITZ! Thank you.
While obviously some considerations need to be heeded, swapping out the power supply in amps are certainly possible (though not recommended for people who have little idea of what they are doing). I'll let Delshay fill in the details for you. ;)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
While obviously some considerations need to be heeded, swapping out the power supply in amps are certainly possible (though not recommended for people who have little idea of what they are doing). I'll let Delshay fill in the details for you. ;)
Yeah NO need I have done more than my fair share fixing stereos and tv's I forgotten more than you will ever know about them.

You can absolutely change out the PSU in an amplifier. In fact you can even change out individual power section components, like the transformer.

You have to design it properly, and obviously that's not a trivial task, you'll probably need to modify the chassis to accomodate different sized components etc, but if your power supply circuitry is on a separate PCB to the rest of the amp circuitry, you can absolutely just design a replacement board and connect the two up without it causing any real havoc.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
You can absolutely change out the PSU in an amplifier. In fact you can even change out individual power section components, like the transformer.

You have to design it properly, and obviously that's not a trivial task, you'll probably need to modify the chassis to accomodate different sized components etc, but if your power supply circuitry is on a separate PCB to the rest of the amp circuitry, you can absolutely just design a replacement board and connect the two up without it causing any real havoc.
Yeah that would be then re-designing and or building your own at that point. NOT moding a PSU. more like making an entire new unit. Sounds like more work than is needed,
Just put more snake oil out there. LOL.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
lol, it doesnt seem that way! Keep an ear open, you will learn something. ;)
LOL I am and so far nothing but Snake oil.

https _d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_af83b90e-5b13-43ca-88da-42973ae3e6cc.png

Please do not buy the Snake Oil the sales man is selling.

Yeah that would be then re-designing and or building your own at that point. NOT moding a PSU. more like making an entire new unit. Sounds like more work than is needed,
Just put more snake oil out there. LOL.
He said "I could mod my amp as it has a complete separate PSU"

You said "No you can not mod the PSU on your AMP."

Seems to me the problem is you couldn't read that his PSU is a separate unit he could easily replace, and presumed he was just going to go ham replacing capacitors.

Not that you can't do that to some extent. Guitar amps are more commonly modified than hifi stuff since guitarists are always looking to change the sound of their gear and aren't concerned about perfect reproduction. Replacing transformers and the like happens enough in that realm that you get companies like this one: https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/shop-by-amp

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
All the Snake Oil about the AMP PSU..
Back on topic.
And I still stand behind my statements. You can pump out the Snake OIL all you want. It changes NOTHING!
First off there is no OIL you can put on a cable to make it more efficient or any more conductive than it is.
Just Snake Oil being sold to unsuspecting people to get there money.

Back on topic.
And I still stand behind my statements. You can pump out the Snake OIL all you want. It changes NOTHING!
First off there is no OIL you can put on a cable to make it more efficient or any more conductive than it is.
You've obviously never experienced amplifier sag as a result of a PSU with an underspecced transformer that can't replenish the charge in the capacitor banks quickly enough to handle rapid transients.

Fortunately, you can reproduce it for yourself in software - go find yourself a copy of Guitar Rig 5. Many of the amp models allow you to literally define the amount of PSU sag you want it to emulate. Alternatively, the Fractal Axe-FX system is a hardware unit that also allows this.

You can also hear it in action here, in this demo of the Kemper Profiling Amp:

Listen for the demonstration where they compare the Orange amplifier to the Kemper. On the high strings of the guitar the Kemper and the Orange sound identical. On the low strings, the Kemper retains definition, clarity and attack, where the Orange amplifier does not.

This is amplifier sag. The Kemper is not accurately reproducing the sag because none of the test tones the Kemper took it's data from, included rapid low frequency chugging on the strings, which drain the capacitor banks of the real amplifier faster than the transformer is able to provide replenishment power.

An uprated transformer in that Orange amplifier would result in a sound much closer to the Kemper profile - and Rob Chapman even comments on this in the video, remarking that "The Kemper actually fixed a problem with the real amp".

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Back on topic.

No real audiophile topic is complete without snake oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.