• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So... advertising CD Key sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is also helpful.

When buying Microsoft software as a digital download, we recommend that you avoid auction sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites. At the moment there are a limited number of sites where you can legally purchase digital downloads of Microsoft software. One example is the online Microsoft Store, where you can buy a wide variety of genuine software and hardware directly from Microsoft (in select markets). Additionally, you can purchase a digital download of Windows at www.windows.com/shop.

With the exception of Product Key Cards distributed with Certificates of Authenticity (COA’s), Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys, it’s a good indication that these keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. Learn more.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx?tab=PackagedSoftwareTab

Because there is no guarantee provided by the seller that the keys are unique?
Sure they do. They have a guarantee that if something goes wrong they'll make it right or give you a refund.
You could have gotten, say 5 different MAK-keys sent to you and 5 other people got them and you have no way of knowing.
Sure we would, the keys wouldn't activate automatically if they've been used more than once.
When you actually do buy from a validated legitimate source and a Microsoft dealer then you are guaranteed to get one.
You're assuming they are not legitimate sellers. And you have no way of knowing they are not.
I'm not sure how you possibly can not see the issue with these sites considering the really bad history they've got?
What history is that?
That only applies to physical media. That's not what is being sold.

Low quality post by AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
rXkuZ9mh.jpg

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
The mods need to close this thread as its totally derailed and of no particular use to anyone taking part.. all its allowing is a divide to further grow between long-standing community members.

I would contribute something more "on-topic" to this thread; but there really is no need after the past 13+ pages and its just dragging things on for no reason.

Sure they do. They have a guarantee that if something goes wrong they'll make it right or give you a refund.

Sure we would, the keys wouldn't activate automatically if they've been used more than once.

You're assuming they are not legitimate sellers. And you have no way of knowing they are not.

What history is that?

That only applies to physical media. That's not what is being sold.
That guarantee does not mean anything if it's not a verified reseller. But hey, atleast they will give you another potentially stolen key.
That's absolutely not anything conclusive since you don't know the type of key. It's just baseless personal anecdotal evidence. MAK-keys as well as MDSN-keys can be activated 5, 10 or even more times.
I'm assuming because according to all the links from Microsoft and the history about these sites is that they are not legal keys.
The history I'm talking about I linked in my last message: https://pcmasterrace.org/keyresellers
Check the "Digital Download" in that link which I couldn't link directly too. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx?tab=PackagedSoftwareTab

Alright, you know where I stand on this. They only thing that worries me is that you absolutely do not see anything that could potentially be wrong with this. You are just swatting away the links and issues as if TPU could do nothing wrong.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
The mods need to close this thread as its totally derailed and of no particular use to anyone taking part.. all its allowing is a divide to further grow between long-standing community members.

I would contribute something more "on-topic" to this thread; but there really is no need after the past 13+ pages and its just dragging things on for no reason.

One of the head mods said they wanted to give the community the opportunity to say what they thought on the subject. imo the mods are pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't close this thread. If they close it then some will say, "see they are trying to silence anyone speaking out about this issue" and point their fingers at the staff and accuse them of complicity in a cover-up.

This thread really has run its course though imo. Everything that could be said on the subject has been said dozens of times and every counter debate has been made over and over.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
Because I have to read them each time I install them? And I haven't found a duplicate. Additionally, if you try to activate a key more than once in a given space of time or on different hardware, you're required to call the activation center, which hasn't happened once.

You realize that some VLKs can have multiple unique individual codes all tied to one specific license? And that it is illegal to resell those individual keys to others?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I am going to close this thread (for now), simply because even my patience after 14 pages, the last 5 or so slipping back and forth into toxicity has reached it's limit.

Just to be clear here though before I do, site wide content, News, Reviews and front page promo's are not the domain here for ANY of the Moderation team, there are far more gifted staff dealing with that than me at least, we have a very proactive owner and Administrator and an Editor in Chief that takes care of most of that stuff. I know they are fully aware of the feelings from some of the community, much of it mentioned here and I am sure they will make a decision that they feel is appropriate for this site.

The moderation staff knew no more than the community membership regarding this topic/trial and that knowledge, just like you, only commenced the first time they were published.

It may be relevant at some point to re-open this, possibly if and when things are clearer or there is new info to announce and debate, apart from that, thanks to most of you for your contribution and in many cases ..... passion!

Status
Not open for further replies.