• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So... advertising CD Key sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 67555

The (il)legality of it is one part of the debacle, yes, but just one part. I'm not here to argue whether it's legal or illegal, as I don't know enough about it to say whether it is or isn't... but I do know shady when I see it, and given GlacerNine's report in #106, that site looks about as shady as a cave on the night of the full moon.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what happened to @jmcslob there, but if he was hit like that as a result of using sites that have been promoted here at TPU, well, that's just repugnant. :shadedshu:

There should definitely be a better vetting system in place for these sites we're advertising. GlacerNine has one again stepped up and did it with the latest ad. Why can't the ones posting these ads do that? You can't just post garbage and then later say "oh, sorry you got scammed, we'll remove that ad" and then post more garbage.
No...never from anything here...
I got hit at Wendy's, Target, Walgreen's and 3btech as well as through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and a retirement account with the Teamsters

EDIT:
Can't prove the 3btech but the licenses were bought from the same zip code the day after a purchase.

Reactions: hat
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Hasnt it been brought up time and time again that these key sites are allowed by Microsoft themselves to be selling these cd keys? I bought Office 2019 and a Windows 10 pro key from one of the sites TPU partnered with and i have had 0 issues with anything.

It's legit. Stop overreacting.

Edit: And to add, when my brother built his high end gaming system back in December, he bought Windows 10 + Office 2019 from the same place I did. Zero issues.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
The Win 10 Home key I got from GO24 is a Retail key. It took a couple of hours to arrive, that was worrysome.

Do they follow the LT or T&C ?
Not sure. How would any of us know that? We are not given privilege to that private business info.
Hasnt it been brought up time and time again that these key sites are allowed by Microsoft themselves to be selling these cd keys? I bought Office 2019 and a Windows 10 pro key from one of the sites TPU partnered with and i have had 0 issues with anything.
With the LTSB keys, only Microsoft themselves supplies them directly which means they are selling them to these outlets who are authorized to resell them.
Exactly. If MS had a problem with it, their legal teams would put a stop to it.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15

No its not no part of this is legit and key re-sellers are explicitly forbidden by Microsoft I am not sure where you get your information from but Microsoft does not and has never offered stand-alone keys for sale

there is so much wrong with everything you just said I am gonna stop there

The Win 10 Home key I got from GO24 is a Retail key. It took a couple of hours to arrive, that was worrysome.
slmgr /dlv AND a screenshot of the activation settings panel,

also just because one site overs a key that works does not mean they all do

and let me remind people again there is a way to flag machines in such a way is they come up as legit activated (even after a format or physical drive change)

if they provide anything other then a key you can install with slmgr /ipk then guess what its not legit duh doi

and really I don't care if they are selling legit keys or not the bottom line is kids Microsoft explicitly forbids the sale of Microsoft product keys though anybody but authorized partners if they are not on Microsoft Partner List/Authorized Re-seller they are not legit PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION anything you buy from said people Microsoft reserves the right to terminate and or revoke if they find about about
it

and its a very short list

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/distributors

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/solution-providers/search < for VLK/SBO

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4076425/partner-licensing-questions-quick-reference-guide < use the search function

Last edited:

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.

I used: slmgr -dli in command promt. It reported RETAIL. No screenshot, take my word on it. Cheers.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I used: slmgr -dli in command promt. It reported RETAIL. No screenshot, take my word on it. Cheers.

thing is a 'digital license' will always report back as Retail No matter what the source is in cases like yours they where probably a legit key at one point but not for the US market or where part of a bulk purchasing agreement that somebody slipped a few out the back door either way still not legit

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
No its not no part of this is legit and key re-sellers are explicitly forbidden by Microsoft I am not sure where you get your information from but Microsoft does not and has never offered stand-alone keys for sale

there is so much wrong with everything you just said I am gonna stop there

also just because one site overs a key that works does not mean they all do

and let me remind people again there is a way to flag machines in such a way is they come up as legit activated (even after a format or physical drive change)

if they provide anything other then a key you can install with slmgr /ipk then guess what its not legit duh doi

and really I don't care if they are selling legit keys or not the bottom line is kids Microsoft explicitly forbids the sale of Microsoft product keys though anybody but authorized partners if they are not on Microsoft Partner List/Authorized Re-seller they are not legit PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION anything you buy from said people Microsoft reserves the right to terminate and or revoke if they find about about
it

and its a very short list

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/distributors

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/solution-providers/search < for VLK/SBO

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4076425/partner-licensing-questions-quick-reference-guide < use the search function
See the post above this one im quoting of yours.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Microsoft furthermore does not sell LTSB keys in retail channels at all, so if you find one for sale without a huge agreement (like the one my former employer had long ago for 2016 edition), it's absolutely not legit.

It's rare me and OneMoar agree, but there is absolutely nothing legit about this and I'll be honest, this is one of the many reasons I am slowly trying to withdraw from this site. I really can't reconcile this.

I'm honestly worried that if I reported this to microsoft, TPU would see some very real consequences. They aren't outside of the jurisdiction of microsoft like many of the key sites.

Not sure. How would any of us know that? We are not given privilege to that private business info.

You could start by reading the terms and conditions and realizing if it isn't attained from a reseller on this list, it's a license violation:

I'm honestly worried that if I reported this to microsoft, TPU would see some very real consequences.
You're assuming that hasn't already happened. I called Microsoft myself(last year) to inquire as to the legitimacy of the licenses on offer as I was interested in offering them to my clients, but ONLY if they were lawful licenses that Microsoft had authorized the distribution of. It was confirmed to me that Microsoft has entered the digital distribution market channels just like other software distributors and game etailers.
Don't just take my word for it, call up Microsoft themselves and ask a reseller rep. That's who I talked too. If I, as business owner and reseller, can lawfully purchase and resell these types of licenses, anyone else can to. Last year when this all began, I gave my input and encouraged the TPU admins to contact Microsoft in the same way and it seems they have done so. TPU would not participate in such endevours unless they knew they were not breaking any laws, which they're not.
You could start by reading the terms and conditions and realizing if it isn't attained from a reseller on this list, it's a license violation:
That's an assumption on your part. Microsoft has the absolute right and authority to enter into distribution agreements that are outside of what is generally stated on their website.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
You're assuming that hasn't already happened. I called Microsoft myself(last year) to inquire as to the legitimacy of the licenses on offer as I was interested in offering them to my clients, but ONLY if they were lawful licenses that Microsoft had authorized the distribution of. It was confirmed to me that Microsoft has entered the digital distribution market channels just like other software distributors and game etailers.
Don't just just take my word for it, call up Microsoft themselves and ask a reseller rep. That's who I talked too. If I, as business owner and reseller, can lawfully purchase and resell these types of licenses, anyone else can to. Last year when this all began, I gave my input and encouraged the TPU admins to contact Microsoft in the same way and it seems they have done so. TPU would not participate in such endevours unless they knew they were not breaking any laws, which they're not.

That's an assumption on your part. Microsoft has the absolute right and authority to enter into distribution agreements that are outside of what is generally stated on their website.
a lot of frankly wrong assumptions there

a lot of frankly wrong assumptions there
Hmm, let's review...
I called Microsoft myself
It was confirmed to me that Microsoft has entered the digital distribution market channels just like other software distributors and game etailers.
Hmmm..
Don't just take my word for it, call up Microsoft themselves and ask a reseller rep.
TPU's apparently done so too. Try it and be enlightened. Go on..

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

Edit: And to add, when my brother built his high end gaming system back in December, he bought Windows 10 + Office 2019 from the same place I did. Zero issues.
For now. Microsoft has said also that sometimes it can be years, and then some action that comes to their attention just related to your key sets their eyes on you and your key gets deactivated too.

The FUD is EPIC in here. Nice job guys! :thumbsup:

Hmm, let's review...
You've read or heard that OEM licenses are legal, so you extrapolate and simplify.

But there are many requirements to be fulfilled. Can you be 100% sure they are?
We don't know how these sellers acquired the keys. We don't know if they have a registered business activity.

Moreover, are you 100% sure you're allowed to resale them further? You use them for the PCs you sell, right? Do you have a registered business activity? (you don't have to answer, it's just to make you realize some issues)

The fact that you say you've called MS and they told you something doesn't mean a thing. Can you give us a name of a senior MS employee that we can confirm this with?
Why not via e-mail? So that you could show us the answer and we could at least confirm whether the author exists?

These key providers are shady. It doesn't mean it's always illegal, but probability of breaking the law is somehow high. Risk of getting a bad key is high as well.
So why is TPU doing it? Do they really can't get a better sponsor?
If TPU staff is afraid of being accused of bias, they don't have to go after sponsors that make stuff tested on TPU.
I follow at least 10 reviewers of computer and camera gear. They're sponsored by hosting companies, by web services providers, by online stores etc.
TPU is a small and niche entity, true. But they aren't so small and unknown that they can't get a deal with a serious, respected company.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Consumer has no reasonable way to know what key they are buying. Microsoft probably should be to blame for this. They have the Genuine messaging out but there is no way to verify. "It works" may be a temporary solution as for example MSDN keys are theoretically (but not in practise, so far) revoked after MSDN contract ends. The way Activation works tends to vary as well. From the test machines I have handy, slmgr reports OEM, Retail and MSDN all as Retail.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Still rocking my $7,99 Windows 10 key, still working just fine. As are the well over 50 games I bought using keys.

I've said before and will say again: key sellers are very diverse and this is as 'gray' as it gets. You can be a white knight about it, or use plausible deniability. We know TPUs stance on it, and its not the white knight stance but we have no say about it. /thread...

Still rocking my $7,99 Windows 10 key, still working just fine. As are the well over 50 games I bought using keys.

I've said before and will say again: key sellers are very diverse and this is as 'gray' as it gets. You can be a white knight about it, or use plausible deniability. We know TPUs stance on it, and its not the white knight stance but we have no say about it. /thread...
Or you could be seen to at least make a common sense check via Google about whether a company appears to be astroturfing their trustpilot and has a reputation for defrauding people.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G604s
For now. Microsoft has said also that sometimes it can be years, and then some action that comes to their attention just related to your key sets their eyes on you and your key gets deactivated too.
Then I'll just get another for $15.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
this whole controversy could have been avoided by simply getting the right sponsors and making the patron worth something by providing some swag, a forum badge and maby promoting it because I didn't even know tpu had one until it was posted in this thread

instead what we have is completely the wrong approach with a few mis-guided users accually defending this utter nonsense

unfortunately I think we are beyond that point of no return here the site has been mis-handled for too long tpu was way to late getting on the you-tube wagon and when it did it immediately fell off because nobody had any idea what they where doing

the quality across the board here has been on a downward slide since 2016 its common knowledge that w1zzard does not want to be involved in running the show so this is what we get

so I see two options either w1zzard steps up and takes a more hands on approach to running this show, or gets somebody that can (and no I don't mean some random guy he found on the street I mean somebody from within the tech community or from tpu its self I nominate R-T-B/rtwjunkie/hat

or the site slowly bleeds long time users out until nobody is left to care.

because lets face it the game has changed being a stand alone review--tech-news site is no longer sufficient pretty evident by what is obviously a attempt at generating more revenue

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Soooo. not proved illegal or shady but still lots of whining going on by those that know MS licensing T+C's better than MS themselves, where's the popcorn? Same people who have more than likely bought numerous games from key sites but feel self entitled enough to piss and complain without any real evidence said sites are infringing any MS rules, let alone actual real laws. Usual suspetcs though. Innocence until proven guilty is a pretty widely know concept.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Soooo. not proved illegal or shady but still lots of whining going on by those that know MS licensing T+C's better than MS themselves, where's the popcorn? Same people who have more than likely bought numerous games from key sites but feel self entitled enough to piss and complain without any real evidence said sites are infringing any MS rules, let alone actual real laws. Usual suspects though. Innocence until proven guilty is a pretty widely know concept.

You have reading comprehension problem bud?

evidence pff what evidence you mean the massive mountain of evidence concerning every single key-sell operation in existence ?

or the fact that all 3 sites posted to tpu in the last 6 months have no track record,where recently created and have been actively reported as scams ?, poor reviews non existent customer service and a complete disregard for any of the EULA's they are breaking simply by existing

did you not read any of the past 3 pages ?

No you didn't so kindly go pound sand

but as leVar burton once say you don't need to take my word for it

https://www.godaddy.com/whois/results.aspx?domain=urcdkeys.com

the whois is a joke
here are the bullet points
1. address is a abandoned building in vegas

2. domain owner is using a hotmail address

3. the registrant new century network co is located in china

https://www.cmmirz.com/new-century-network-co-shanghai-ltd-cmmi5/

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
You have reading comprehension problem bud?

evidence pff what evidence you mean the massive mountain of evidence concerning every single key-sell operation in existence ?

or the fact that all 3 sites posted to tpu in the last 6 months have no track record,where recently created and have been actively reported as scams ?, poor reviews non existent customer service and a complete disregard for any of the EULA's they are breaking simply by existing

did you not read any of the past 3 pages ?

No you didn't so kindly go pound sand
thats why you're on ignore :nutkick::slap::peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.