• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So Long Privacy: Apple Bans Apps, Music for Customers Who Opt Out of Tracking

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
the solution is VERY simple.....dont buy apples crap :p

T

twilyth

I never actually hated Apple but I'm getting there.

I did get tired of some of the smarmy comments from people who used Apple computers when they found out that I occasionally do work on PC's. Like one lady who called me about a problem she had with her work computer. Every other sentence was, 'apple doesn't do it that way', ' never had the problem with Apple', etc. :slap: :slap: :slap:

Yeah lady, I got your "Apple" right here.

I'm sure most are regular people, but some are really . . . argggghhh!

I really don't see how anyone can submit to what amounts to bullying. OK, you don't have to buy an iPad, but if for whatever reason you want to, why should you essentially be forced to bend over. Even if you don't mind the intrusion, the real issue is that you're not given a real choice. A choice with consequences isn't much of a choice IMO.

So for me, just on principle, I would tell Jobs to get bent. IDK, maybe people haven't caught on to the scam yet. Maybe when they do they'll get pissed. Won't be holding my breath though.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I agree.

When it comes to most "popular" Apple products (excluding professional computers at work etc.) I think of sheeple. It's an awful subculture of people who need to stand in line so they will be the first out of their friends to get whatever Apple is selling. These masses of sheeple will buy it no matter what. They don't mind being tracked and viewed at as a giant herd that consumes these goods and crap out money. The sheeple mentality goes well beyond buying Apple products in this country judging by our elected officials. People don't want to think or work, they want to be told what to do, they want laws to protect them and they have inflated senses of self entitlement. Fucking sad.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
When it comes to most "popular" Apple products (excluding professional computers at work etc.) I think of sheeple. It's an awful subculture of people who need to stand in line so they will be the first out of their friends to get whatever Apple is selling. These masses of sheeple will buy it no matter what. They don't mind being tracked and viewed at as a giant herd that consumes these goods and crap out money. The sheeple mentality goes well beyond buying Apple products in this country judging by our elected officials. People don't want to think or work, they want to be told what to do, they want laws to protect them and they have inflated senses of self entitlement. Fucking sad.

Wish it weren't so, but ... yep. :(

W

wahdangun

Is this only for iPhones or for all products including iPod Touch?????

did, you read the aggremen in that article that i posted,

The full agreement reads:
To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

it said apple product and that include your ipod and any other apple product,
I say they should go for it. Only people who complain are those who have something to hide and are too lazy to just jailbreak the crap.

so do you like when someday, you are walking near domino pizza and suddenly your iPhone or ipod, showing ads about how delicious is domino pizza.

it will be so fucking annoying, when you got constant ads when you are walking near something like McDonald, KFC, Bestbuy,or anything else.

and Btw, typical apple user are not tech-savy, they maybe never hear the term jailbroken iphone, also they maybe never use other store than itunes. so they don't have anychoice at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Apple gives their users Hobson's choice. That's funny. I do own an iPod, but now I'll have to speed up my pursuit of a new MP3 player.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
did, you read the aggremen in that article that i posted,

it said apple product and that include your ipod and any other apple product,

so do you like when someday, you are walking near domino pizza and suddenly your iPhone or ipod, showing ads about how delicious is domino pizza.

it will be so fucking annoying, when you got constant ads when you are walking near something like McDonald, KFC, Bestbuy,or anything else.

and Btw, typical apple user are not tech-savy, they maybe never hear the term jailbroken iphone, also they maybe never use other store than itunes. so they don't have anychoice at all.

I can't stand having anything on me other than my wallet and keys. Having stuff in my pockets makes me look lumpy. I'm a bit different in the head so my opinion tends to be a little different about small stuff like this.

I don't see it saying anywhere that it'd interrupt what you were doing to advertise. I may be wrong though. When I'm in the car I prefer CDs so I don't have to mess with the ipod. My friend drives with an ipod touch for his music and we've had some pretty close calls.

Don't forget that articles bashing stuff like this tend to overblow the whole situation. If you read the comments on that article the author is known for bashing the company. For all we know he could just be running with this. Also, I don't think anyone here has heard this story before and this guy is making a huge deal out of it.

You probably shouldn't be looking at a website while crossing the street. The ad thing probably applies to the ads on websites, imo.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
wait so this includes the ipod touch, . . . . . . well scratch that, i was gonna get one later today, glad I read this.

W

wahdangun

okey, i have found an option to option-out, but its still have forced ads, the different is they are just less relevant.

"If you do not want to receive ads with this level of relevance on your mobile device, you can opt out by accessing the following link on your device: http://oo.apple.com. If you opt out, you will continue to receive the same number of mobile ads, but they may be less relevant because they will not be based on your interests. You may still see ads related to the contrent on a web page or in an application or based on other non-personal information. This opt-out applies only to Apple advertising services and does not affect interest-based advertising from other advertising networks."

source : iLounge

so what do you think, are you still want apple product ?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
@Specsaver
Yes, providers can pinpoint your device, until thief change your SIM card to his own. If phones would have tracking GPS module, and you could check on some website, where is your phone, it would be great. There are so many good phones on market and I'm worried about buying them because of pickpockets. I'm travelling by bus to work and I losing one phone every year. Now I have Nokia 3310. Nobody wants to steal it!

I am trying out an app ona Win mobile that does just that. If the phone is missing, send it and SMS and it will reply with its GPS location. If the original SIM card is removed, it will send email updates instead.remote tracker

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
simple, dont buy apple overpriced computers, do'h, you can buy a Computer with a i7 980 Extreme, Dual Radeon HD 5870, 12GB memory, Dual 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, bunch of harddrives for the price of the most expensive mac that only gives you half the performance for teh same price...

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I still don't see this as a big deal. It's anonymous and its used to improve applications. It only applies to apple products and you can opt out. Everyone is making it out that apple will use it to locate people and spy on them for no reason.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I still don't see this as a big deal. It's anonymous and its used to improve applications. It only applies to apple products and you can opt out. Everyone is making it out that apple will use it to locate people and spy on them for no reason.
I agree. Google collects this type of data, and people don't get outraged. So you are correct, but you are still missing the point of the matter.

It's the way they present the choice, not the info gathering itself. It's agree, OR ELSE.

Shitty way to treat customers.

Sony just did the same thing to us fatty PS3 owners and OtherOS. Yeah, we can choose to not upgrade, but then we lose PSN and online play, and lose the ability to play the newest games.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I agree. Google collects this type of data, and people don't get outraged. So you are correct, but you are still missing the point of the matter.

It's the way they present the choice, not the info gathering itself. It's agree, OR ELSE.

Sony just did the same thing to us fatty PS3 owners and OtherOS. Yeah, we can choose to not upgrade, but then we lose PSN and online play, and lose the ability to play the newest games.

Yeah it's shitty but what do we do to companies who are shitty to us ?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

mdsx1950

System Name Knight-X
Processor Intel Core i7-980X [4.2Ghz]
Motherboard ASUS P6T7 WS
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro H70 + 2x CM 2000RPM 120mm LED Fans
Memory Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 2000MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB CrossFire [PhysX - EVGA GTX260(216SP) 896MB]
Storage 2x Corsair Perf. 512GB | OCZ Colossus 1TB | 2xOCZ Agilities 120GB SSDs
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ 3008WFP [2560x1600]
Case Cooler Master HAF-X + NZXT Temp LCD
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X | ONKYO HTS9100THX 7.1
Power Supply Silverstone ST1500 1500W [80 PLUS Silver]
Software Windows 7 Ultimate X64 (Build 7600)
Benchmark Scores Heaven 2.0 with Extreme Tessellation at 1080p - 96FPS
did, you read the aggremen in that article that i posted

Yeah i did.. But it said only iPhones, iPads and computers. So as long as you dont use WiFi in a public place, its ok right?

W

wahdangun

its not for improving application its used to serve you ads, and why should, i have ads in my already expensive iPhone/iPod/iPad, if the device was really cheap or free, i can understand the price.

and you can't even to option-out the ads. if you like seeing ads then its good for you, but i hate it.

yeah i hate sony for that too.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
its not for improving application its used to serve you ads, and why should, i have ads in my already expensive iPhone/iPod/iPad, if the device was really cheap or free, i can understand the price.

and you can't even to option-out the ads. if you like seeing ads then its good for you, but i hate it.

It says "This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services"

How can they target me with better ads if the information collected is anonymous ?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There is nothing to personally identify who you are (like name, address, etc), but your device is identified and tracked by geographical location and most likely your online habits.

DrPepper

System Name Rusky
Motherboard Asus P6T
Software Windows 7 x64
There is nothing to personally identify who you are (like name, address, etc), but your device is identified and tracked by geographical location and most likely your online habits.

Still isn't really a bad thing. It's like targeted ads on the internet and TV. If I am a car enthusiast I'd probably watch top gear so car makers etc will put ads up inbetween top gear. Same as on the internet. If I'm on a tech site it will show me ads for hardware etc.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Yeah i did.. But it said only iPhones, iPads and computers. So as long as you dont use WiFi in a public place, its ok right?

It applies to anything apple related! Any current invention or product Apple device or any product or invention Apple comes up with in the short or long distant future will be sending your personal data. Also what about users with 3G internet connections on their Iphone or portable device, 3G is on by default and will be sending personal information about your likes, dislikes, where-about, habits, geographical location etc 24-7! Now when you check your email or log into itunes they cam bombard you will spammy targeted adverts most probably from third party companies that paid Apple off.

System Name inferKNIGHT
Processor Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard MSI Z97i Gaming AC
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (R/G)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 3.5GB (+0.5GB? o.O)
Storage 1 x 256GB Cricial M550, 1 x 2TB Samsung 7200.12
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1.1 pro x64
So does this include devices previously released by Apple, or just to those currently being released onwards?

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
I agree.

That and the hypocritical winging sheeple who get one that haven't ever liked it in the first place just to bitch about something new.

D

Deleted member 24505

Can you post up them server addresses to add to hosts file when you find them Wile E please.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Never have I given so much thanks on a forum before. WOAH!