1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

So this is how resellers get rid of their old-stock graphic cards?!?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Black Panther, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I came across this incident on another forum:

This guy ordered a M571RU laptop from Eurocom, with a 9800M GT graphics card.
    When he got the laptop, he found out that it was shipped with an 8800M GTX instead. Even though on his receipt it stated 9800M GT.

I get it that the 2 cards are very similar in performance, if not identical. But what I find outrageous is that Eurocom refused to replace to what he ordered. I think he has a right for the 9800M GT because he ordered it in the first place. Secondly, it's a newer-gen card hence the resale value of his laptop would be affected.

This is what Eurocom told him:

Client answered --

Eurocom replied --
    When the client asked to see the R & D reports they refused saying that they do not release them to the general public.

So, further to this refusal to replace, Eurocom are just suggesting their client flashes the bios... and voila gpu-z will read the card as a 9800M GT :eek:

I think I know where all the 8800M GTX cards are going now...
    I wonder if this is something regularly done?

What I wrote above is my attempt to summarize this notebookreview forum thread.

Do you think that a reseller is justified in doing this kind of stuff? What are your opinions?

2. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    WTF?! Why has he not been on the phone to them TELLING them to give him the laptop he ordered or a full refund, failing that simply call the bank and get his money back and keep the laptop. It's what I would do... :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    He can easily sue if he is in the UK, Trade Descriptions act and all that.

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I agree,in the uk eurocom would get screwed for doing that.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish this kind of thing would happen to me here in the states. I have two Cousins that professinal lawyers, I would be a millionaire before you knew it. :)

6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Duh, what's more apparently he also actually rma'd the laptop because of an unrelated monitor problem... and they still keep insisting that he flashes the bios himself! (page 6 post 53) This is just crazy...
    And people there have been telling him it's no big deal, the 9800M GT is an 8800M GTX anyway...:twitch:

7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter that they are the same performance, if it was better i wouldn't care but you get what you paid for. If I paid for a product I want the product to be exactly what I paid for.

8. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But still If I pay for somthing and get something different I would not be happy. I want and am entitled to what I payed for.

9. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    thats not the point if he ordered the lappy expecting a 9800 not an 8800. Regardless of relative performance of the two he didnt get what he ordered. I no i would of been pissed if i ended up with a 6000 series instead of my 7600.

10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    He's going to insist that the gpu is changed from 8800M GTX to 9800M GT.

But he's worried that they'd just flash the bios and not give him a 'genuine' 9800M GT.

Is there any way to know if he gets a genuine card? From a little research I did, the cards look identical... and also have the same number of shaders etc etc...

Is there maybe a way to check the date of manufacture of the card? Because obviously if the date would be like 6 months ago then it'd just be bios-flashed and not an original 9800...

11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Wont it say on the actual card which one it is? Are the graphics cards in those laptops accessible?

Glad they are following it through, like other people have said, you could sue for that and claim to trading standards in UK.

You wouldnt expect dell to send you a PC with say a 2900Pro when you ordered an XT, and they say, oh yeah just flash it :shadedshu

12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    The graphics card is easily accessible. It's user-upgradeable 8800M GTX - 9800M GT - 9800M GTX.... so far..

:eek:

I've never actually looked at a mobile gpu...

In this picture I see it has got 8800M GTX written on the gpu. I guess that would be kinda engraved/printed. I think if the gpu chip has got 9800M GT then he'd be safe in assuming it's a 'genuine' card not a reflashed 8800?

[​IMG]

13. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Thats more of a promotional shot. The real thing will be more like this:

[​IMG]
    Source

You'll need the part number.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Well for most users flashing the bios is a big ordeal, and also they could turn around and void the warranty of the laptop because he did a firmware modification that failed. I think its time to take this to the courts, for false advertisement, id suggest you look for that laptop specifically on their site if they have one and compare the difference in price between the 8800M GTX and the 9800M GT, because for all we know is they could of charged you more for the older card, altho sometimes performance is more than newer gen, anyone have gaming tests for these video cards?

15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why I stay away from everything rebranded. If you still want to buy a desktop 9800 GT, you need to spend more time here :laugh:

16. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Lol.

What's weird is that on Eurocom's site, to customize the M571RU it will cost $220 more if you choose to put in an 8800M GTX than a 9800M GT. :wtf:

eidairaman1 and btarunr, uhh, this is another guy's problem (see first post) not mine... I don't think the guy is even a member here... ;)

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Rule of Thumb stay the piss away from Eurocom

18. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, I went thru that thread. I was just telling "stay away from rebranded stuff".

19. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    That is ridiculous. I would be demanding my money back or the correct product. Makes me glad that I shop newegg.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. spirits247 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's terrible. Some e-tailers in the UK are guilty of sending out opened products as "new".

Twice, after ordering something online, I have received a previously opened product that was obviously sent back as the factory seals had been tampered with. Those should be sold as "refurbished".

Makes me really mad and I never again use an e-tailer who's done that. Once something is sent back after being opened, it is no longer "new".

21. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I don't like how they kept leaving off the "M" part. I wonder if they think the desktop and laptop versions have the same specs, so they assumed their desktop performance comparisons would count as accurate for the mobile version's performance.

22. X-Terminator

X-Terminator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude that is F-ed-Up I will never order anything from Eurocom:eek:. And there spec's are way off.

Now for a magic trick

1. Clap your hands
    2. Smoke some bud:pimp:
    3. Kick your friend in the ballz:nutkick:
    4. And Rock-On:rockout:
    5. And now you have just changed your 8800GTX to 9800M GT:roll: