• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Solar System

@lynx29 XD

When observed with the unaided eye, Omega Centauri, the object in this image, appears as a fuzzy, faint star. But the blue orb we see here is, in fact, a collection of 10 million stars.

Astronomers using the Nobeyama Radio Obeservatory (NRO) 45-m telescope found that high-density gas, the material for stars, accounts for only 3% of the total mass of gas distributed in the Milky Way. This result provides key information for understanding the unexpectedly low production rate of stars

Processor Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3333 16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus OC
Storage Samsung EVO 250GB 2x-500GB XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Gold
A Japanese space probe captures video showing asteroid Ryugu being shot so that it could capture material.

More info on the mission.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
just read a couple of news items about this
"came out of Nowhere to cross earths orbit ( a couple of Hours warning)"

Astronomers in Brazil and the United States separately discovered 2019 OK a couple of days ago, but its surprise visit was only announced a couple of hours before it passed by. "The lack of warning shows how quickly potentially dangerous asteroids can sneak up on us," Brown wrote. And though this asteroid "is not a threat to Earth right now," other such near-Earth asteroids can be.

just read a couple of news items about this
"came out of Nowhere to cross earths orbit ( a couple of Hours warning)"

Astronomers in Brazil and the United States separately discovered 2019 OK a couple of days ago, but its surprise visit was only announced a couple of hours before it passed by. "The lack of warning shows how quickly potentially dangerous asteroids can sneak up on us," Brown wrote. And though this asteroid "is not a threat to Earth right now," other such near-Earth asteroids can be.
Here's a kicker.

I pointed out many of us are thinking about asteroid(s) hitting earth, but I pointed out what will happen if an asteroid hits the moon. Will it kick the moon out of orbit. I then got an answer that the moon is to big by a user in the thread, & the answer was no. Then what seems like an expert told me the real answer.

If the asteroid has enough mass it will push the moon ever so slightly out of orbit. So it's not the size, it's the mass compared to the moon.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD TR4 1900X
Motherboard As Rock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 420 x2 Noctua NHU-14S TR4
Memory Gskill RIpjaws V 3600 MHZ 16 GB (2x8) & Gskill Ripjaws 4 3000 MHZ 16GB (2x8)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro, Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage 6 x NVME 480 GB, 2 x SSD 2TB, 5TB HDD, 2 TB HDD, 2x 2TB SSHD
Display(s) Acer 49BQ0k 4K monitor
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1200!
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 24955 Time Spy: 13500
Here's a kicker.

I pointed out many of use are thinking about asteroid(s) hitting earth, but I pointed out what will happen if an asteroid hits the moon. Will it kick the moon out of orbit. I then got an answer that the moon is to big by a user in the thread, & the answer was no. Then what seems like an expert told me the real answer.

If the asteroid has enough mass it will push the moon ever so slightly out of orbit. So it's not the size, it's the mass compared to the moon.
Yes it totally depends on size or composition.

Will it kick the moon out of orbit.
Such an impact would need to be greatly massive. No one would miss such an impact as even if it happened on the far side of the moon, we would still see the results of such an impact within seconds of it taking place. At a maximum of 130m estimated size, even if it were solid gold(which it wasn't), it just isn't massive enough to change the trajectory of the moon in any meaningful way.

Latest NASA/ESA images

ISS transiting the Sun

Asteroid '2019 OK' observed moving against backdrop of stars

Terra Cimmeria (Mars)

Sun

Seven Years After Landing, Curiosity Rover is Still Rock N' Rolling

Jupiter