• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Solar System

@lynx29 XD

When observed with the unaided eye, Omega Centauri, the object in this image, appears as a fuzzy, faint star. But the blue orb we see here is, in fact, a collection of 10 million stars.

Astronomers using the Nobeyama Radio Obeservatory (NRO) 45-m telescope found that high-density gas, the material for stars, accounts for only 3% of the total mass of gas distributed in the Milky Way. This result provides key information for understanding the unexpectedly low production rate of stars

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
A Japanese space probe captures video showing asteroid Ryugu being shot so that it could capture material.

More info on the mission.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
just read a couple of news items about this
"came out of Nowhere to cross earths orbit ( a couple of Hours warning)"

Astronomers in Brazil and the United States separately discovered 2019 OK a couple of days ago, but its surprise visit was only announced a couple of hours before it passed by. "The lack of warning shows how quickly potentially dangerous asteroids can sneak up on us," Brown wrote. And though this asteroid "is not a threat to Earth right now," other such near-Earth asteroids can be.

just read a couple of news items about this
"came out of Nowhere to cross earths orbit ( a couple of Hours warning)"

Astronomers in Brazil and the United States separately discovered 2019 OK a couple of days ago, but its surprise visit was only announced a couple of hours before it passed by. "The lack of warning shows how quickly potentially dangerous asteroids can sneak up on us," Brown wrote. And though this asteroid "is not a threat to Earth right now," other such near-Earth asteroids can be.

Here's a kicker.

I pointed out many of us are thinking about asteroid(s) hitting earth, but I pointed out what will happen if an asteroid hits the moon. Will it kick the moon out of orbit. I then got an answer that the moon is to big by a user in the thread, & the answer was no. Then what seems like an expert told me the real answer.

If the asteroid has enough mass it will push the moon ever so slightly out of orbit. So it's not the size, it's the mass compared to the moon.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Here's a kicker.

I pointed out many of use are thinking about asteroid(s) hitting earth, but I pointed out what will happen if an asteroid hits the moon. Will it kick the moon out of orbit. I then got an answer that the moon is to big by a user in the thread, & the answer was no. Then what seems like an expert told me the real answer.

If the asteroid has enough mass it will push the moon ever so slightly out of orbit. So it's not the size, it's the mass compared to the moon.

Yes it totally depends on size or composition.

Will it kick the moon out of orbit.
Such an impact would need to be greatly massive. No one would miss such an impact as even if it happened on the far side of the moon, we would still see the results of such an impact within seconds of it taking place. At a maximum of 130m estimated size, even if it were solid gold(which it wasn't), it just isn't massive enough to change the trajectory of the moon in any meaningful way.

Latest NASA/ESA images

ISS transiting the Sun

Asteroid '2019 OK' observed moving against backdrop of stars

Terra Cimmeria (Mars)

Sun

Seven Years After Landing, Curiosity Rover is Still Rock N' Rolling

Jupiter

This video illustrates two important points.
1, that our understanding of the way we look the universe as a whole is flawed, even if only just slightly, and
2, the we need to find a way to fix the problems with General & Special Relativity.

Several of those video's are so misinformed and flawed it makes me want to go on a rant... However, I will refrain...

This atmospheric image taken with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows dark, gloomy nebulae (known as NGC 2371 and NGC 2372) in the constellation of Gemini

This Picture of the Week from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows NGC 5307, a planetary nebula which lies ~ 10000 light years from Earth. It can be seen in the constellation Centaurus.
A star like our Sun will, at the end of its life, transform into a red giant. Stars are sustained by the nuclear fusion that occurs in their core, which creates energy. The nuclear fusion processes constantly try to rip the star apart. Only the gravity of the star prevents this from happening. At the end of the red giant phase of a star, these forces become unbalanced. Without enough energy created by fusion, the core of the star collapses in on itself, while the surface layers are ejected outward. After that, all that remains of the star is what we see here: glowing outer layers surrounding a white dwarf star, the remnants of the red giant star’s core. This isn’t the end of this star’s evolution though — those outer layers are still moving and cooling. In just a few thousand years they will have dissipated, and all that will be left to see is the dimly glowing white dwarf.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Also, since in space we have no resistance... if we were going near the speed of light would are bodies even feel it? There would be no force of gravity correct? So its a matter of finding out how to get to a habitable planet elsewhere. Since it curves and matter tells the curve what to do, I wonder if its possible if we could figure out a way to create a makeshift slingshot by using the suns gravity in accord with a nuclear powered future spaceship that starts far away but increases its speed as it comes closer to the sun, and right before burn up max temp reached it can sling shot itself using the gravity to reach near light speed. i dunno, just daydreaming don't mind me

speaking of dreams, i'd def volunteer for one of these missions, the 0.00000000001% chance of having a planet all to yourself :D

Also, since in space we have no resistance... if we were going near the speed of light would are bodies even feel it? There would be no force of gravity correct? So its a matter of finding out how to get to a habitable planet elsewhere. Since it curves and matter tells the curve what to do, I wonder if its possible if we could figure out a way to create a makeshift slingshot by using the suns gravity in accord with a nuclear powered future spaceship that starts far away but increases its speed as it comes closer to the sun, and right before burn up max temp reached it can sling shot itself using the gravity to reach near light speed. i dunno, just daydreaming don't mind me

speaking of dreams, i'd def volunteer for one of these missions, the 0.00000000001% chance of having a planet all to yourself :D

When body moves with the constant speed it doesn't feel the motion at all. It's acceleration and jerk (lol) aka change in acceleration that make difference. Photons move with the speed of light, but they don't accelerate to that speed, they just get it from the start [photon either moves with the speed of light or it doesn't exist at all].

So if human moves super fast it won't hurt them, even better they will age much slower. Two good things in one package, you're moving hyper fast and you don't age, woooohooooo.
*back to Earth* Accelerating to that speed will generate enormous g-force and that will .. rip you a new one.

Other than that slingshot idea is super cool. Black holes can and do accelerate entire star systems to 99.999% speed of light. But Sun's mass is not enough to provide such acceleration.

North polar dunes on Mars
During winter in the polar regions, a thin layer of carbon dioxide ice covers the surface and then sublimates with the first light of spring. In the dune fields, this springtime defrosting occurs from the bottom up, trapping gas between the ice and the sand. As the ice cracks, this gas is released violently and carries sand with it, forming the dark patches and streaks.

Bouncing boulder on Comet 67P/C-G

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
The telescopes at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile and 22-degree halo
Thanks for sharing the photo. That's something I haven't seen before.