• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Solar System

Glittering Lights of Earth As Seen From the ISS

The Milky Way stretches across the sky over Paranal, the site of ESO's VLT.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@Drone What are your thoughts on the astronaut Mark Kelly when he said after living in space for so long he could see the atmosphere looking sicker? Now combined with the massive fires that have never lasted this long in the Amazon and Australia, just in your opinion/observations at looking at images like this over the years... do you think we are in more trouble than we realize?

The cycles of nature are extremely extremely complex, and I don't think the common man, even many members of Congress understand that. I watched a documentary once, talking about how the sand from the sahara gets transported to fertilize other parts of the world, the rains from Amazon delivered on clouds all the way across the world to the Sahara Desert to allow the initial explosion of growth, etc. It's all very interesting how massive distance wise everything is integrated.

@lynx29 Atmosphere and oceans can 'heal' themselves iff humans won't @#$%& it all up. Earth was in trouble many times before, so many times it lost so many life forms, now with humans around Earth kinda became a ticking bomb with faulty clocks. 50% of trees is gone, 75% of fish is gone, plastic, space junk. With intelligent people, science and technology Earth can be saved. With improved space program dangerous asteroids can be deflected. At least humans were smart enough and in 1963 'Treaty Banning Nuclear Weapon Tests in the Atmosphere, in Outer Space and Under Water' was signed. Do I have faith in humanity? I dunno, I hope so. Even though with corrupted politicians, jerks and freaks and human stupidity in general things don't always look so promising lol

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@lynx29 Atmosphere and oceans can 'heal' themselves iff humans won't @#$%& it all up. Earth was in trouble many times before, so many times it lost so many life forms, now with humans around Earth kinda became a ticking bomb with faulty clocks. 50% of trees is gone, 75% of fish is gone, plastic, space junk. With intelligent people, science and technology Earth can be saved. With improved space program dangerous asteroids can be deflected. At least humans were smart enough and in 1963 'Treaty Banning Nuclear Weapon Tests in the Atmosphere, in Outer Space and Under Water' was signed. Do I have faith in humanity? I dunno, I hope so. Even though with corrupted politicians, jerks and freaks and human stupidity in general things don't always look so promising lol

At least people are having less kids for a couple generations now, that should help the Earth heal some, once population levels even out some.

I did not know 75% fish were gone though, holy crap... and even the fish we have now is mercury level so high it's really not healthy to eat. Heh, it's a shame.

I still have faith in humanity though, Bill Gates shows statistics on it sometimes, especially about how population control is improving immensely. Once the older generation is gone, population will be relatively manageable I think after that. It's weird to think of human issues and Earth healing as a population issue, but really it is important to be objective about the numbers of it all... I mean the 75% fish one just proves my point on it. It's to many damn people, lol

@lynx29 I don't know exact percentage now but in 2015 scientists reported that Earth lost half of its marine life, it's a global problem of overfishing. Scientists' guesstimation that probably in this century there will be no fish in Earth's ocean. I mean seriously, it's a big tragedy.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
@lynx29 I don't know exact percentage now but in 2015 scientists reported that Earth lost half of its marine life, it's a global problem of overfishing. Scientists' guesstimation that probably in this century there will be no fish in Earth's ocean. I mean seriously, it's a big tragedy.

It is not just overfishing. The warming and acidification of the Oceans are one cause and the amount of plastic in our Oceans can also be blamed for the drop in fish stocks.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah, and we will never be able to stop the super rich exploiting illegal fisherman/black markets. Humans are just that way... and it's too big to patrol. So yeah. Major upheaval is coming to the cycles of life, since we are not the only ones who rely on fish, then the chain begins to break down. Wow I am depressed now lmao

rabbit hole deep dive regrets... lol damn.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Caltech said:
A rare asteroid orbiting snugly within the inner confines of our solar system has been discovered by Caltech's Zwicky Transient Facility, or ZTF, a survey camera based at Palomar Observatory. The newfound body, named 2020 AV2, is the first asteroid found to orbit entirely within the orbit of Venus.

European Space Agency astronaut and International Space Station commander Luca Parmitano finalizes repairs to the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer. The instrument, which detects a dark matter and antimatter, was repaired during a spacewalk on Jan. 25, 2020, that lasted 6 hours and 16 minutes.

If someone wants to watch/listen: latest cosmology/quantum mechanics talks by Brian Greene and Sean Carroll.

Gullies on Mars form during the winter, fluidized by carbon dioxide frost.

ESO facilities observed the asteroid Pallas for the first time at extremely high angular resolution.
Although Pallas is the largest known asteroid in the Solar System after Ceres and Vesta, it is the only one of these large asteroids that has not been visited by a spacecraft.
This is due to its orbit, which has an unusually high inclination to the plane of the Earth’s orbit — which means it is particularly challenging to land a spacecraft on.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Let's hope so!!!!

I can't wait to see the images from this telescope. It would be interesting to see what else we find in the Keiper belt. Maybe we may even be able to see Niburu or whatever is effecting the comets and mini ice planets in the Keiper belt.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
A newly discovered asteroid about the size of a house will zip safely by Earth on Wednesday (April 15), passing just inside the orbit of the moon.
The asteroid 2020 GH2 will pass Earth at a range of about 223,000 miles (359,000 kilometers). The average distance from the Earth to the moon is about 239,000 miles (385,000 km).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
A newly discovered asteroid about the size of a house will zip safely by Earth on Wednesday (April 15), passing just inside the orbit of the moon.
The asteroid 2020 GH2 will pass Earth at a range of about 223,000 miles (359,000 kilometers). The average distance from the Earth to the moon is about 239,000 miles (385,000 km).

let's say hypothetically the calculation was slightly for some hypothetical rare reason, the size of a house may very well burn up in the atmosphere still? perhaps if it had a weak center and broke in two upon impact? if not, the size of a house still wouldn't do to much damage would it?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
let's say hypothetically the calculation was slightly for some hypothetical rare reason, the size of a house may very well burn up in the atmosphere still? perhaps if it had a weak center and broke in two upon impact? if not, the size of a house still wouldn't do to much damage would it?

The Chelyabinsk meteor was a small asteroid — about the size of a six-story building — that broke up over the city of Chelyabinsk, Russia, on Feb. 15, 2013. The blast was stronger than a nuclear explosion, triggering detections from monitoring stations as far away as Antarctica.

The three broad composition classes of asteroids are C-, S-, and M-types.
  • The C-type (chondrite) asteroids are most common, probably consist of clay and silicate rocks, and are dark in appearance. ...
  • The S-types ("stony") are made up of silicate materials and nickel-iron.
  • The M-types are metallic (nickel-iron).
The Chelyabinsk meteor was Believed to be Type S