• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soldered Battery to a Gameboy Advance Game PCB so it can save, it still does not want to save.

nessark89

So i bought "one of those carts" from Ebay and it does not want to save. In the game when i try to save it tries multiple times and says the battery has run dry. I opened it up and i did not see a battery to replace so i figured i will install one. I got a CR1616 and i soldered it correctly. Tried to save and yet again it does not want to save. Is there anything else i have to do to the PCB? Bridge something? Cut some line? Maybe someone can help me out here.

There is this guy on youtube that explains how to do it but his PCB is different,

I guess i need to make its memory access that battery?

Thanks

pic three where to solder else.png
pic one where to solder else.png
pic two where to solder else.png

Last edited:
With no documentation for that board it’s hard to tell, have you measured the cell’s voltage ?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Pokemon Sapphire. Hope you can get this working again as that's a fantastic game.

I'd be checking soldering on other side in case something got loose.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
Test your battery with a voltage meter or a battery tester, I had to do this to a zelda cart a few years ago that was bootleg but I got it working, all it took was a new battery. Also it's really easy to kill these batteries with heat so keep that in mind when you're soldering.

nessark89

With no documentation for that board it’s hard to tell, have you measured the cell’s voltage ?
yeah its not a popular board and i could try to google but doubt will find anything. I measured the batterys volts and they are perfect, a little above 3V, brand new battery.

Pokemon Sapphire. Hope you can get this working again as that's a fantastic game.

I'd be checking soldering on other side in case something got loose.
The video is about a pokemon sapphire but my cart is actually a 369 in 1 games cart and theres only a few gba games on it but would still love to make this work. other side is just plain, no solder points there.

Test your battery with a voltage meter or a battery tester, I had to do this to a zelda cart a few years ago that was bootleg but I got it working, all it took was a new battery. Also it's really easy to kill these batteries with heat so keep that in mind when you're soldering.
3V is what i got. The battery you see in the picture is actually a new battery, i installed it myself after the carts flashmemory (or whatever kind of chip memory it uses) stopped working.

yeah its not a popular board and i could try to google but doubt will find anything. I measured the batterys volts and they are perfect, a little above 3V, brand new battery.
If you have a ammeter, desolder one end of the battery and plug the ammeter in series, you’ll probably want to select the Lowest scale because current will probably be in order of milliamperes ,
This may not fix your issue but can give you an idea if the battery is being used at the first place . Some board have missing resistors that user have to solder in order to enable certain features .
If there is no current flowing, then it’s either soldered in wrong place , or the board you have doesn’t support that option , or you may have to solder something somewhere to enable that