• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SOLVED] CSM/UEFI BIOS ISSUES Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition

asharkey

Hello,

Thanks for all the knowledge on this forum, it's the only reason i answered my own question.

Can anyone point me in the right direciton on how to upload the working rom files for my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition (11265-21)
p1580.rom and p2580.rom

New to the forum here and have been trying to wrap my brain around what's going on with my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition having issues with CSM and the GPU posting at boot.

Running an ASUS ROG Maximux X Code MOBO with the latest bios Primarily as a Hackintosh, have windows 10 installed on a separate drive

Have had the system working great for about a year now. Back in March I wanted to see if I could gain any improvement by flashing the 580's bios to higher clock speeds while in Mac OSX. Overclocked successfully using amdvbflash, (in the OC position, position 2, furthers from rear of case) and hadn't had any issues with the GPU until recently.

I'm not sure what changed in my system configuration but at some point (maybe after a MOBO bios update?) the GPU would not post during boot. The system would have a blank screen, completely boot up, and eventually the Operating System would load. But black screen during the Clover Verbose Boot/ Windows Boot. I Couldn't even get into the ASUS BIOS after pressing F2. Had to flash the MOBO BIOS to get factory defaults and start troubleshooting.

I ended up concluding that in order for the GPU to not have a blank screen during POST, I had to have CSM enabled. Once CSM was enabled I was able to access the BIOS and see the Clover boot up process.

I then realised that if I put the the GPU Bios switch to the "quiet" factory position, (position 1, closest to the rear of the case) there was not an issue if CSM was enabled or disabled.

Doing further research on this forum I found similar instances where the GPU won't post if CSM is disabled due to the UEFI or lack their of in the GPU. And forums discussing the flashing process and how to retain UEFI in the rom file.

So I decided to restore the original OC bios for the RX 580. And since then have had no luck getting it back to it's original state working while CSM is disabled. After going back and forth so many times, I actually accidentally flashed the silent bios not realising the switch was in the 2nd position, and lost that original .rom file.

So I'm Currently using these .rom files from techpowerup found by @eidairaman1

I first tried to make a Rufus pen drive and run ATI flash following these instructions by @Solaris17 (wanted to stay clear of windows os)
but the atiflash -i command says no adapter found . (I Think from reading these forums the atiflash version for DOS is not compatible with this architecture of Polaris?)

The only way to flash the card was with amdvbflash.exe via the command line or the graphic interface.

The flash reports successful (there is a comment in the command line that says previous bios having no signed driver) but after a reboot, no GPU post when PEG is set as primary, have to go through the whole reset MOBO bios, use the IGPU as primary display, to get back to square one.

I've tried both PCIE slots and the GPU is still recognised by the BIOS under the GPU post tools section. And now it just won't boot at all.

If you can't already tell, pretty new to VBIOS flashing, and would appreciate any guidance on how to restore my BIOS with UEFI capability.

SKU ON CARD is
11265-21
PN 299-BE366-201SA

Here's a screen shot from AMDVBFLASH

I find it odd that the flashed GPU vbios is reading as Polaris 10 when it should be Polaris 20, no?

Just did another flash, this time on the OC (not quiet) position, and we'll see how it goes after restart.

c:\Users\SHARK\Desktop\amdvbflash>amdvbflash -I
adapter bn dn fn dID asic flash romsize test bios p/n
======= == == == ==== =============== ============== ======= ==== ==============
0 01 00 00 67DF Polaris10 M25P20/c 40000 pass 113-3E366DU-S4Y

c:\Users\SHARK\Desktop\amdvbflash>amdvbflash -p 0 rx580.rom
Old SSID: E366
New SSID: E366
older ASIC, vbios is not signed.
Old DeviceID: 67DF
New DeviceID: 67DF
Old Product Name: E366 Polaris20 XTR A1 GDDR5 256Mx32 8GB
New Product Name: E366 Polaris20 XTR A1 GDDR5 256Mx32 8GB
Old BIOS Version: 015.050.002.001.000000
New BIOS Version: 015.050.002.001.000000
Flash type: M25P20/c
40000/40000h bytes programmed
40000/40000h bytes verified
Restart System To Complete VBIOS Update.

--

UPDATE: After flash, and restart, Windows is giving an error 43 in device manager, AMD radeon software is not recognising the card. Even after applying the AMD/ATI pixel clocker patch.
After changing the MOBO Bios to PEG instead of IGFX can't even seen the bios boot menu screen. just blank, no OS load, nothing. Can't even clear CMOS to reset settings, have to flash MOBO BIOS and REMOVE GPU to access BIOS menu.

I don't know what the definition of "brick" really means. I was guessing it was just a soft brick. I can see lights on, fan spinning, AMDVBFLASHWIN recognises the adapter, as does GPU-Z. But something has got to be wrong here with my procedure of flashing because it's not working when set to Primary PEG.

!!!SOLVED!!!! UPDATE:

So somehow after reading and re reading these forums I managed to get the VBIOS back up and running.

Luckily i found my original rom files stored away and followed this method:

Start windows with Igfx enabled and no multi monitor support

GPU in 1st slot with no power connected, Bios switch Position 1

Shut down plugged card's power in

Turned on

Ran command prompt as admin and run amdvbflash.exe -f -p p1580.rom

Shutdown

Changed bios setting to multi monitor enabled

WORKING!

The only thing different besides the original rom files was the use of force (-f) command this time around.

The only thing that concerns me is if you look at the readout from the amdvbflash.exe -ai command...
There is no Data in the UEFI ID ROM HEADERS

Is this normal?

Anyway, I'm now running back on the Hackintosh no problems. Even disabled CSM and no issues with the GPU posting at boot

Position 1 PRE FLASH::
p1 pre flash.gif

POST FLASH!!!
p1 post flash working.GIF

Position 2 PRE FLASH
p2 pre flash.gif

POST FLASH!
p2 post flash working.GIF

Attachments

• amdvbflashwin pos 2 igpu.GIF
    amdvbflashwin pos 2 igpu.GIF
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,015
Last edited:

Ademk28

How did you fix this again??? I’ve been looking for this solution for days I have the same exact problems and made the same mistake u did. After a bios update on GPU it worked fine and perfectly, but I played around with my ram OC and boom never booted again. I have a Vega 64 please help!!

asharkey

How did you fix this again??? I’ve been looking for this solution for days I have the same exact problems and made the same mistake u did. After a bios update on GPU it worked fine and perfectly, but I played around with my ram OC and boom never booted again. I have a Vega 64 please help!!

Do you have your original rom files backed up? That's what ended up working for me...

I've attached a dropbox link with my amdvbflash folder which has the command prompt .exe and the the rom files i used inside that directory.

After downloading that folder to your computer (put your rom files in that folder or use the p1580.rom and p2580.rom i supplied)
Then navigate in command prompt to that directory and run the command as described below...

Start windows with internal gfx enabled and no multi monitor support

Shut down
plug card's power in

Turned on

Ran command prompt as admin (make sure you run as administrator) and run amdvbflash.exe -f -p p1580.rom

Shutdown

Changed bios setting to back to multi monitor enabled

WORKING!

asharkey

great! then use that backup and make sure to change "p1580.rom" in the command line to your file's name. If i remember correctly Command Prompt doesn't like long file names nor does this flashing program, so keep your filename under 6 characters.

hope it helps, good luck!

Ademk28

Thank you it looks good so far!!!! I got it to work, but when I check the CMD prompt it looks weird. Can you verify if it’s suppose to look like this?!?! I typed amdvbflash.exe and here’s what comes up.

Btw I was only able to boot by using CSM mode and my bios does not have the option to disable those features or internal GFX. I’m using two GPUs to accomplish this. I have the bricked card in first slot and working in second.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,089
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 988
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 770
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 862

asharkey

I never had data populate for UEFI ID ROM HEADERS, but having no info for the Bios P/N seems off

I'm assuming you've shut down and restarted?

And i ended up using Techpowerup GPU-z to confirm that it was reading all the relevant ROM data correctly. When it was dead, everything was blank. Once i flashed it back to life it had all the correct info

Ademk28

Yes I had a really bad flash but after flashing by following other forums I had this show on GPU z. I’m hoping after this flash it gets fixed and the card can work properly

And yes I have shut down and restarted multiple times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 905

asharkey

Yah, there seems to be alot of info out there in regards to flashing, and the only consistent method i could find was via command prompt, and even better outside of windows OS if capable of booting DOS via UEFI. I was never able to achieve that and only did it via adminstator mode of command prompt in windows OS.

but if it's done correctly then all those fields in GPUz should be correct.

It looks like you're using. VEGA card so not sure if there is a different AMD flash executible as I did all my research for the RX580. I imagine it would be the same, but not positive

Ademk28

Okay, I tried it via cmd prompt and tried everything u said still showing the same thing.

AnIdiot

Thanks to your post I was able to get my card working.

I basically flashed my Sapphire 580 nitro+ to get rid of artefacts. After that couldnt book up with card powered up (not on the new BIOS or the alternative untouched BIOS). After reading your post. I switched from UEFI to legacy. Voila card working again. However I cant get it to work on UEFI. Will only work on Legacy. On the plus side no artefacts with new BIOS

Do you have any ideas how I can fix that? Have i corrupted UEFI

Ademk28

No I actually figured it out. I switched and did the same thing again and that method worked for me. But my card couldn’t install drivers without a crash. Then I would have to DDU bc it won’t post after installing drivers. It turns out the card has experienced over voltage and needs to be replaced. The card will still be detected and read but upgrading bios won’t do anything or even reverting because the card is already dead unfortunately. You can try the oven technique which could fix it but I would honestly get a different card they’re not expensive.

Marcopane

Then now can you disable CSM without having any boot issues?
I tried to disable it but when I turn on pc makes a beep and won't boot or let me enter in to the bios....
Does anyone have some ideas?
I can't fix GPU but into my hackintosh :(

Ademk28

If you installed drivers or attempted to install drivers you will no longer be able to boot into CSM. Unless you have another GPU u can use to disable it. Unfortunately there’s not really much you can do to your GPU other than heat it up to resolder. Or buy a new one.

tsalat

Do you have your original rom files backed up? That's what ended up working for me...

I've attached a dropbox link with my amdvbflash folder which has the command prompt .exe and the the rom files i used inside that directory.

After downloading that folder to your computer (put your rom files in that folder or use the p1580.rom and p2580.rom i supplied)
Then navigate in command prompt to that directory and run the command as described below...

Start windows with internal gfx enabled and no multi monitor support

Shut down
plug card's power in

Turned on

Ran command prompt as admin (make sure you run as administrator) and run amdvbflash.exe -f -p p1580.rom

Shutdown

Changed bios setting to back to multi monitor enabled

WORKING!

I would like to thank you for providing the stock ROM for the GPU, it saved my day! I bought the same GPU (PN 299-BE366-201SA) at an auction for a few bucks, not working according to the description, where the seller mentioned that the card is not detected. However, windows with iGPU enabled found the card. I have checked the GPU for shorts, resistance, etc... with all readings within normal, and then started to flash the VBIOS with no success, unfortunately. I found this thread, and the GPU had the same symptoms as yours. The ROM you have provided worked and made my day :).

I was flashing under DOS using the latest ATI flash release, and all "force" attributes possible.... amdvbflash -fp -fa -fv -p (GPU number) (ROM). Both ROMs are working.

tomas