• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Some new crysis 2 (cryengine 3) screenshots

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Hopefully replacing the fields of complex trees with the more simple sky scrapers should help performance a bit. :p

They propably offloaded some of the tasks to the cpu, which would make sense as crysis didn't make much use of anything above dual cores and the consoles have tri cores irrc. No reason to waste available power.

Hey, maybe the same goes for the PC version! :D

Benetanegia

Now what I wonder is, if the original Crysis wasn't badly optimized and the new one is easier on systems ... where's the tradeoff? What's being sacrificed?

They are sacrificing the jungle. That alone means a lot when it comes to performance. At the first glance, it means that scenes will have 200.000-500.000 less polygons with alpha tranparency and the related 200.000-500.000 shadows projected by them.

They can also use the tricks that most other games use, like calculating reflections, shadows and the likes at lower fps than the game itself, decreasing the accuracy of light, many things that 95% of the people will not notice, but it's still going to be there for the eye trained ones to see. No matter how much they cripple the engine in some aspects, the same people that said "huh, COD4, Assassin's Creed, etc look the same or almost the same" will never notice the slightest difference. That's "crippling until it fits" and some people call that optimization, but it's not.

Of course there's probably some actual optimization going on too, but that's natural and not a proof of bad optimization in the past. Drivers still improve the performance of old cards but that doesn't mean they weren't properly optimized in the past. You work with what you have at the moment and do what you can with the available tools. An unilateral advancement can lead to a posterior advance from the other side, that way a game engine optimization can sometimes only occur after a driver optimization and viceversa. The state of the GPU computing in general is very different now than what it was 2 years ago and that enables many things that couldn't be done in the past.

ctrain

This is a console port. Dont expect those graphics in game.

Why?

In the Crysis 1 editor all you had to do was flag something not to show up on lower settings and bam, like magic, it scales. Their artists probably create everything in passes, adding more and more detail on each one until satisfied. At one point they can just say "well, consoles / lower end pc's would probably catch fire past this point" and have future layers only show up on higher settings.

They can do their typical Crytek thing and go berserk with detail and it just scales down as expected.

Last edited:
Is it too much to expect a patch for Crysis 1 & Warhead with these new "optimisations" to the engine intact?

Processor Phenom II X4 B50 @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Vendetta 2, several case fans
Memory 8GB Geil Ripjaws 1666Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5850 1GB
Storage 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) LG 23" W2361V TFT Widescreen
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply Antec HCG 750W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Hopefully replacing the fields of complex trees with the more simple sky scrapers should help performance a bit. :p

Hey, maybe the same goes for the PC version! :D

They said in this video that all the optimisations from their console reasearch will be on the pc version, although clearly some of the stuff is quite low poly in that vid so lets hope thats not their optimisations :p

They are sacrificing the jungle. That alone means a lot when it comes to performance.

They can also use the tricks that most other games use, like calculating reflections, shadows and the likes at lower fps than the game itself, decreasing the accuracy of light, many things that 95% of the people will not notice, but it's still going to be there for the eye trained ones to see..

In the vid above the CEO states that it is the only engine where everything in a scene is done in real time, no precomputed shadows or any of that rubbish. It's at about 1:30.

Processor Phenom II X4 B50 @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Vendetta 2, several case fans
Memory 8GB Geil Ripjaws 1666Mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5850 1GB
Storage 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) LG 23" W2361V TFT Widescreen
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply Antec HCG 750W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
This is a console port. Dont expect those graphics in game.

How is it a console port? It's made by crytek that should be enough to tell you it's not going to be a console port. You've seem them running the first level on crysis on the consoles; that proves they can have large open world on the consoles if they wanted to. Just because it's coming out on consoles doesn't mean it will be a port.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Cry engine two is just as unoptimized as cry-engine 1 by the way.

Download Planet Calypso ( project entropia) They're not even using high res textures etc and the game runs like arse.
My god I actually go downloaded that game and it runs like an absolute whore :respect:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Why?

In the Crysis 1 editor all you had to do was flag something not to show up on lower settings and bam, like magic, it scales. Their artists probably create everything in passes, adding more and more detail on each one until satisfied. At one point they can just say "well, consoles / lower end pc's would probably catch fire past this point" and have future layers only show up on higher settings.

They can do their typical Crytek thing and go berserk with detail and it just scales down as expected.

How is it a console port? It's made by crytek that should be enough to tell you it's not going to be a console port. You've seem them running the first level on crysis on the consoles; that proves they can have large open world on the consoles if they wanted to. Just because it's coming out on consoles doesn't mean it will be a port.

This is why.....

After the disappointing sales of PC-exclusive FPS Crysis, Crytek president Cevat Yerli has said that his company will no longer make titles exclusive to the PC platform. The main reason? Piracy.
“I believe that’s the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy,” Yerli explained. “It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.”

Yerli also commented on the possibility of bringing the visually impressive Crysis to either the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, saying that it would be nearly impossible. “Crysis would have to be largely changed to bring it to Xbox 360 or Playstation 3,” Yerli said. “Crysis is designed to be PC exclusive.”

Since Crysis was designed to be a trilogy, and Yerli has said that future games will be coming to consoles, you have to wonder what the future of the franchise will look like. If the first game can’t run on current-generation consoles, does that mean that later games will take a step backward in terms of graphical fidelity? Or will their be significant differences between the PC and console versions of the games? Source

This game SCREAMS port.

When Crytek, developers of Crysis, said they wanted to move into console development, they weren't kidding. The team announced their brand new graphics engine today, one that works on DirectX 9/10, PS3 and Xbox 360. The engine's scalability will allow developers to work on a variety of genres, such as action games and MMOs; however, in addition to focusing on the now, Crytek is touting their new engine is the only one designed for the next generation of gaming.

Carl Jones, director of business development, refuses to be humble about this announcement. "CryENGINE 3 will set the benchmark for complete game engine solutions in performance, and services to game engine licensees and their players," he touts. "We've been preparing a long time for CryENGINE on consoles and we're confident that Crytek will again amaze developers at GDC."
The business team will be available at GDC later this month to discuss licensing details. In addition, Crytek will undoubtedly showcase the new tech during public presentations at the show. We're interested in seeing if the new CryENGINE will be able to come close to replicating Crysis' incredible visuals on today's home consoles. Source

Oh wow we get an MMO capable engine! Gee I wonder if this engine will be watered down compared to the Crytek 2 engine?! :rolleyes:

Open your eyes! This WILL be a crappy port.

ctrain

This is why.....

This game SCREAMS port.

Oh wow we get an MMO capable engine! Gee I wonder if this engine will be watered down compared to the Crytek 2 engine?! :rolleyes:

Open your eyes! This WILL be a crappy port.

Ok, the engine tries to stream all its content now. Can you take a guess what a certain game with over 11 million subscribers does? (hint: the same thing) What about UE3? (hint: it does the same thing too, to some extent)

They want to be THE middleware solution that people choose.

PS they had separate branches for the engine for both PC and consoles and CE3 was the ultimate result of the merger.

You've already seen the first Crysis level running on consoles and it's close to the exact same thing you'd see on the PC version, though with severely crippled settings.

Benetanegia

They said in this video that all the optimisations from their console reasearch will be on the pc version, although clearly some of the stuff is quite low poly in that vid so lets hope thats not their optimisations :p

OMG that looks like shit and I'm not talking about the quality of the video. Look at the details and the explosions. Definately when they said Crysis couldn't be made on consoles they were 100% right, because that's not Crysis. I think the PC version will be much better, like the one we see on the screenshots and that the gameplay is not watered down as the one we see in the vid. But I admit that at this point it's just hope.

In the vid above the CEO states that it is the only engine where everything in a scene is done in real time, no precomputed shadows or any of that rubbish. It's at about 1:30.

Well I was not talking about precomputed, but real-time calculated every odd frames for example. It's still real time but it's not refreshed as often as the scene. This trick is done in many games, but Crysis didn't "fake" anything. And that's the real deal about Cryengine. That's what most people never understood.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Games on consoles can be ported to PC and look much better on a PC. Higher resolution textures and added effects. With the CryEngine 2 which is supposed to be pretty easy to use, I don't see what the problem is. I hope this game isn't the 1st Crysis or designed like Crysis. Crysis sucked. It had great graphics that were implemented extremely poorly. Who knows maybe actually playing Crysis 2 will be actual fun?!

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Games on consoles can be ported to PC and look much better on a PC. Higher resolution textures and added effects. With the CryEngine 2 which is supposed to be pretty easy to use, I don't see what the problem is. I hope this game isn't the 1st Crysis or designed like Crysis. Crysis sucked. It had great graphics that were implemented extremely poorly. Who knows maybe actually playing Crysis 2 will be actual fun?!

Im must agree with you big time on that one erocker:toast:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

They can be.......however those days are over.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
They can be.......however those days are over.

Not really those days were advances in software that allows games to be ported easily. It should get better as we head into the future.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Not really those days were advances in software that allows games to be ported easily. It should get better as we head into the future.

Youll see.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Always the optimist MailMan.

^^

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Hey mailman, the cryengine is highly scaleable though, they probably just need to put the settings for each console and pump out a copy optimised for that system.

and then we has PC users get to set things up manually depending on our hardware : ]

Have Faith Crytek seem to be a better company then many other games workshops.

Last edited:

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
The fact that they will release Crysis 2 on consoles really bug me. Because is that mean they acknowledge the first one is unoptimized or Crysis 2 is just a game with torn-down engine.

IDK - CryTech have been adamant about stating that although CryEngine3 will have its Xbox and PS3 "ports," the PC version will be carrying the icing and cream - if you know what I mean.

There've been some CryEngine3 tech demo vids showcasing the engine on console renders, and supposedly the PC version will still be far superior - both in visuals and physics . . . I guess we'll have to wait and see. They've also supposedly stated that their primary designing has been done solely on PC, and they're just "breaking it down" from there for the consoles to run smoothly.

Those early screens look nice - looks like I was right in my assumption that Crysis2 will have more of an urban setting. Thankfully CryTech is finally getting away from those damn jungles! :p

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
I'm a big fan of the 1st Crysis, its my first step into high-end gaming coming from PS2/HL2/CSS/WoW and it made my jaw drop.

The ports to consoles really make it seem like they will tone down the graphics. If consoles couldn't handle the first Crysis how can they handle Crysis 2? I'm excited to see how this turns out!

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i

mdsx1950

System Name Knight-X
Processor Intel Core i7-980X [4.2Ghz]
Motherboard ASUS P6T7 WS
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro H70 + 2x CM 2000RPM 120mm LED Fans
Memory Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 2000MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB CrossFire [PhysX - EVGA GTX260(216SP) 896MB]
Storage 2x Corsair Perf. 512GB | OCZ Colossus 1TB | 2xOCZ Agilities 120GB SSDs
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ 3008WFP [2560x1600]
Case Cooler Master HAF-X + NZXT Temp LCD
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X | ONKYO HTS9100THX 7.1
Power Supply Silverstone ST1500 1500W [80 PLUS Silver]
Software Windows 7 Ultimate X64 (Build 7600)
Benchmark Scores Heaven 2.0 with Extreme Tessellation at 1080p - 96FPS