• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Something I learned about GPUs with HD Audio

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Good to know there might be a solution how ever i have never had the issue in using the HDMI sound output on mine.

In fact my on-board sound is enabled now for the mic :p :).

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
1. The bottom one. realtek optical. its cut off in the photo to show the second HDMI at the top.

2. that means your system is unstable. no ifs, ands or buts about it - you have an unstable overclock, or you're unstable at stock.

3. i use my HDMI + audio daily on my AMD A6 laptop. zero issues at all. i can even unplug the HDMI and have it revert to the inbuilt speakers without apps crashing or glitching out.

4. Not sure what you meant about the HDTV/receiver comments. HDMI goes into the TV, or into a receiver first. thats how it works. i run into a TV and have no problems.

1. Confusing, you're saying Realtek Optical is default, or the first HDMI, which for some reason you chose not to show?

2. It could mean that the CPU OC is stable under Prime95, but not under Warfighter, which quite frankly is a game that has a few quirks. There IS the fact however that 12.10 installed more smoothly than 12.11, so I'm not ruling out driver compatibility issues.

4. I mean I use 5.1, not stereo. As I said, I CAN get HDMI Audio to show as plugged in and default IF I uninstall the Realtek HD driver before installing Cat. In other words I think the reason the HDMI Audio device is limiting me to stereo configuration is that I have my HDMI cable hooked to my TV, which appears to have no multi channel audio (HDMI out) pass through.

I was hoping the TV's ARC feature would allow multichannel audio to pass through to the receiver, but it doesn't. Maybe my receiver only accepts ARC from my TV's audio, because it works for TV shows, but not for PC audio. I think the weak link HDMI audio wise is my TV though. In it's manual it says PC use is not assumed.

As I've said before, I've already had the HDMI Audio running to my TV, but in that scenario I can only use the stereo TV speakers, which is unacceptable. Are you using just your TV speakers, or passing multi channel audio through to a receiver via HDMI out or ARC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
1. i said that i had it half off screen, to show all of the adaptors. cant resize that window. optical is default on this PC, HDMI is on my laptop.

2. prime95 is a terrible CPU stability tester. try linpack, or something that cant handle instability like games.

3. ???

4. HDTV's dont pass 5.1 out if HDMI is the input. if you want 5.1 HDMI, you need a receiver BEFORE the HDTV. (PC->receiver->HDTV)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
4. HDTV's dont pass 5.1 out if HDMI is the input. if you want 5.1 HDMI, you need a receiver BEFORE the HDTV. (PC->receiver->HDTV)

I'm going to debate this, not to say it isn't true for most cases. a TV can do 5.1 pass-through back through optical S/PDIF on the display if the TV has it and ONLY if the TV supports pass-through since it's negotiated by HDMI. If you check your settings and there is no 5.1 option it means your display has reported to Windows that it cannot support it which is why you can't see what formats are supported until the TV is actually connected unlike analog audio.

So Mussels is mostly right. If you want 5.1 over HDMI you need a receiver or display that can process it and decode it, but even still if the TV can decode it you still need a receiver to decode the Optical S/PDIF.

What are you using to drive 5.1 audio that isn't "detecting it," because I bet there is a better way to do what you want without buying a receiver.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I already said I AM using a receiver. It's just a Yamaha RX-V371 though, and I don't think it supports video pass through other than from Blu-ray to the TV on the HDMI 1 port.

As I assumed it sounds like you are only using stereo audio to your TV Mussels, at least that's what it sounded like you're saying.

I think I may have narrowed down the problem I'm getting with lockups though. Since it just happened again tonight after a fairly short session even with no OC on the CPU or GPU (just XMP Profile on the CPU), I figured it might be something other than the overclocking.

I've ran the CPU at a mild (3.2GHz) and moderate (3.6GHz) before for months with no problems. The GPU also when I first OCed it only showed problems up to a certain point, then I backed it down considerably and it ran for some time OK.

The only other thing that's new with the latest upgrades is my Plextor SSD. I've been running it off the Marvell SATA III controller built into my MB, which I'm reading many have had problems with in not only crippled speed, but instability, namely lockups.

I just ran a fairly long session with it on an Intel SATA II port vs the Marvell SATA III, and so far so good. While SATA II does lower it's read speed quite a bit, it actually gets a bit of a boost on write performance. Nothing to "write" home about, but in a year or so I plan to have a different CPU, MB and RAM, so the Plextor will still severe me well with a better SATA III controller.

I hope to hell this is it, because I'm tired of troubleshooting.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
@Mussels,
Your pic doesn't even show which audio device is default, and like mine, both AMD HD and HDMI devices are showing as not plugged in. And like mine, Realtek devices always show as plugged in when their drivers are installed and they're enabled in BIOS, nothing new there.

I'm also doubting this is the audio sampling rate setting because when the crash DOES happen it's typically after several hours of play, vs not allowing me to play at all.

Thanks for showing the pics though, because it does indicate multiple instances of AMD HD Audio showing, so maybe that's common, but why? Also, even though my latest install of Cat 12.10 seemed to go smoother, with no problem with scaling working right away, the CCC Installer said to read the log about errors during the install, yet there were no errors in it.

@MaD ShOt,
Again, your AMD HD devices are showing as not plugged in. In your case though the pics don't even show any AMD HDMI devices, and the ones used as default are in fact Speakers, which is analog out, not HDMI digital out.

I appreciate your guys input, esp since it's kept civil, but I've yet to see anyone show me any proof of HDMI out working, and I suspect if it were, it would be a case where it's sent either to a receiver with video pass through, or an HDTV with HDMI out, and many TVs don't even have such a feature. Or, in my case, as I've said before, I DID get HDMI Audio to show as plugged in and default device, but only when I disabled Realtek HD in BIOS and uninstalled it's driver before installing the Cat driver.

It would only configure as stereo though because the device connected was my HDTV, which again, doesn't have HDMI out. This was unacceptable because it would have meant using just my TV speakers. I don't have the option of connecting my PC to the receiver as video pass through to the TV, because I don't even get any picture that way.

Last night I played a fair bit of Far Cry 3 on Cat 12.10 with no problems and temps peaked at only 53c. I was playing at the stock #2 OC BIOS of 1000 core and the CPU is back at stock speed on XMP profile.

Going to try again tonight at 1100. If that goes well, I'll bump the CPU up again and see how things go. So far though it's looking like this is either due to problems with 12.11 itself or it not installing as well as 12.10 for some reason.

Uhm dude realtek makes the audio chips on all AMD cards since 2900xt- 7970,I have had no issues with them .I also have my on board disabled only to save me from the dreaded OS auto switch at start up,If your using the 12.11 beta`s That Audio section is new and what do you expect from beta`s? Also you say you OC your cpu and that there is the cause of your BSOD`S not audio.Maybe Musseles real tek drivers are for his cards not on board,Try going to the Real Tek drivers for AMD HDMI ...they are more stable then the ones in the cat drivers.The only gripe i have with the gpu sound is no mic .

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I already said I AM using a receiver. It's just a Yamaha RX-V371 though, and I don't think it supports video pass through other than from Blu-ray to the TV on the HDMI 1 port.

Put that in the OP please, because its easy to miss a big detail like that if it is in a random post within the thread. I definitely missed it.

Do other ports work? Keep in mind that you can't send uncompressed 5.1 through HDMI, you need to use DTS or Dolby tech to do it. Have you tried using either of these before trying to route 5.1 through HDMI? Also it sounds weird that video doesn't pass through from HDMI port 1 on your receiver, do others work fine? Do sources that use HDCP work fine versus those that don't? Also does audio work even if the video doesn't get sent to the TV.

Let me switch my display to HDMI so I can throw up some screenshots.

Edit: Could you post what you're supported formats tab looks like?

Example:
hdmi.PNG

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
LOL, I'm well aware Realtek makes the AMD audio and I already did try downloading from there separately and it wouldn't even install.

I'm going to say this one last time, because I'm tired of repeating it. People saying they're getting HDMI audio to "work" is relative to what AV peripherals they're using and how many channels they suffice with. It's not hard to get stereo HDMI audio, but multi channel HDMI audio seems to require a peripheral that supports it, as has already been said by more than just myself.

I've heard even a tech, one from XFX in fact, claim he never had a problem with HDMI audio, then he said he was using headphones plugged into his MB. Uh, OK, whatever, he's an XFX tech and he doesn't even know that's analog out vs HDMI digital. When I pointed out his error he sounded a bit embarrassed.

Thus I take the whole HDMI audio always works talk with a grain of salt, because HDMI stereo is easy. HDMI multi channel specifically though, prove it to me, including what peripherals you're using. Then I'll start listening. If it takes a $1000+ TV with HDMI outputs or $800 receiver though, I think I'll suffice with optical out and Dolby Digital compression vs multi channel PCM lossless.

HDMI is and always has been an over protected format, and what's odd, is it isn't even that great. Manufactures have to buy into it's use and linkage to other components like it's the holy friggin grail or something. I think that in a nutshell along with MS pulling HAL support is why it's a bitch to get multi channel HDMI audio pass through to work for PC, at least with affordable AV gear anyway.

On supported formats, I noticed something odd in your pic. It says your AMD HDMI doesn't even support HDCP. HELLO, do you not know what that means? Anyways, my Panny TV shows the same as yours on sample rates and 2 channel limitation, but mine only shows 16 bit. The big difference is mine does say HDCP supported though.

I get now why there are several instances of HDMI showing in the sound panel with an AMD Cat driver install. It's 6 instances in case you want to use 6 display Eyefinity. Anyways, I'll take what I get out of this card over the MSI 660 Ti PE OC I tried any day, because that one wouldn't even let me switch from TV to PC without BSOD, and it showed my TV as not HDCP capable, even though it actually is.

Some of you are acting like HDMI and all the devices that use it, including GPUs, is a user friendly, predictable, flawless connectivity, but it's far from it, in fact regarding PC use, it's often like a comedy of manufacturer vs user errors. Just in the AV Home Theater market alone there are constant complaints from consumers about HDMI "hand shaking" not working as it should.

This is what happens when big corporations get greedy about anyone using a connectivity format they seek to put too much control on.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
this sounds like a false positive to me. if you're on an OC'd system, the crashes are random. so this doesnt really rule anything out.

i have about 5 sound devices enabled, and have no issues (onboard, digital, USB, BT, headset)

This. I do not disable anything but the iGPU.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I'd have to disagree with that. I've run a multitude of ATi video cards that use HDMI audio and have never had an issue. Cards I've ran with HDMI audio 5850's (about 4 total), 5870's (4 or 5), 6870's (2), 6950's (4 total), 6970's (2).

¿? You can't disagree with fact. Both my laptop and desktop HDMI audio recognition is terrible after several reinstalls. I am glad however that it works for you, heres a pat on the head.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I am glad however that it works for you, heres a pat on the head.

LOL, the good ole compat pat, you won the lottery!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I think a lot of these issues could be rig specific.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I think a lot of these issues could be rig specific.

Like I said a little bit ago, those Marvell SATA 3 controllers can cause problems from what I've read. My X58 MB was made during a time when SATA 3 onboard controllers were just trickling into the market and there was a bit of a ruckus over the several brands/models of boards that were using that controller. Marvell has done OK with SSD controllers, but is seems they were quick to jump on the SATA 3 controller bandwagon before they had a good design going.

Anyways, just played a session of AC3 with the SSD on the Intel SATA 2 port, and again, no lockups, knock on wood. I almost worry saying that will jinx me. I'm going to go ahead and reapply the mild CPU OC. Then if all goes well might bump her back up to 3.6 or 4GHZ.

What's funny is despite the much lower read speed, on the SATA 2 port the system seems to actually reboot a bit faster.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
The only "issue" I have with the HDMI Audio Device on my card is that I have 6 instances of it in Control Panel. I have never actually used it for audio tho I am actually using the HDMI output on the card for video output.

@FM: Yeah Marvell controllers are pretty inferior to an Intel controller if you have the choice.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
All I use anymore is HDMI output, and I have mine, my laptop, two video conference systems, and a few friends systems running it with zero issues, and I have also ran my Yeti blue mic and switched it around without issues.

ATI did have an issue early this year with HDMI audio not being reinitialized after you turned off the TV or monitor, you had to either reboot or switch it manually, but this has been fixed for months.

I use 5.1 at home from the HDMI, and you MUST have a capable receiver or TV.

Reading this thread it seems you have multiple circumstances that stack up to an issue that is specific to you only. If your source is not higher than stereo the digital output from the HDMI port will only be stereo unless you purchase software or get software to re-encode it, if your receiver is only capable of certain formats and sample rates the lowest common denominator will determine the format used, not necessarily the best according to you, but the most compatible.

Last edited:
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

All my audio devices are enabled and I have zero crashes in the varity of games I have played extensively over the last year or so. So the OP's theory needs to be reassessed.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
I thought I'd share this because I've seen others with this problem, and in searching I finally found out what causes it. Bear with me if any of you already know this, because really there isn't much in the way of warnings about it.

We all know that many whom have bought GPUs with built-in HD Audio via HDMI have had problems of one sort or another right? The scope and variety of them can vary. Many of us have also read that it's best to disable onboard sound in the BIOS when you CAN get HDMI audio to work.

Did you know however that if you CAN'T get HDMI Audio to work, you run the risk of severe lockups in game, accompanied by loud audio stutter, if you leave the GPU's HD Audio device enabled in Device Manager?

Many probably assume it's fine to leave it as is because Windows will only let you enable one sound device as the default. Well I'm here to tell you that those whom went into Device Manager and disabled the sound device not set as the default have reported no more in game freezes.

The problem often doesn't show until well into a gaming session, so it can have the appearance of being mere overheating, memory leaks, or any one of many other possibilities.

I had OCed my i7 950 to 4GHz, getting excellent results in Prime95 on just 1.3v, so I assumed I was not giving the CPU enough voltage when I got these lockups after a long session, since many use 1.35 @ 4GHz with this CPU.

The lockups were merely due to two sound devices being enabled in Device Manager though. The reason I never get the lockups running Prime95 is obviously because there's no audio running at the time.

Wow. I just happened upon your post a few days ago and Im really grateful. I've been so FRUSTRATED with my "audio loop crash AND subsequent blue-screen(if I wait long enough after crash it WILL B.S.)...
After 15+ rounds of BF-3 and hours of metro... I can fully state... This Bitch is Fixed...:rockout:
All the drivers... the voltage adjustments....all the time I spent trying to figure this out, ALL the cussing about creative and Auzentek!!!!!!!!!:ohwell: Oh well.... at least I can get through a friggin map now!!!:roll:

Thanks a million again Frag Maniac...

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
prime95 is a terrible CPU stability tester. try linpack, or something that cant handle instability like games.

I found a webpage on Intel's site that has a Windows version of Linpack for DL, but it's hard to figure how to install it. Do you know of a guide or can tell me how? This puppy requires compiling.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download

SK-1,
Don't thank me until you give it a good while. It may completely solve the problem or only minimize it. The results seem to vary. Needless to say there are many things about PC gaming configs of which there are no standard rules of thumb. They always seem to take troubleshooting now and then.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Ok fair enough... Still the longest run ever with no crash... Its so nice. Nothing like being 5 tickets away from the end of a winning round or about to blow the last M-com station (along with getting oodles of kills and dog tags) only to have your screen freeze and your sound loop on 5.1 speakers:mad:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
OCCT has a linpack x64 test built in.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
System Name Shadow
Processor AMD FX-8370
Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo/Aerocool DeadSilence fans
Memory Kingston 2x8GB 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) 2 x Sapphire R9 270X 4GB DDR5
Storage SanDisk 128GB SSD, WD Blue 1T
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart M850 80+ Bronze
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Same problem as OP. Skyrim locked up on me last night, and think this might be why. I posted the driver issue I've been having on another forum here. Not sure what, if anything there is to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Same problem as OP. Skyrim locked up on me last night, and think this might be why. I posted the driver issue I've been having on another forum here. Not sure what, if anything there is to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

lots of system instability (often power, OC or ram related) are almsot random. they can disappear for weeks at a time, then suddenly strike - you can change one setting, give the PC time to cool down 10C and think that you fixed it, when really you're just in that in-between period.

i had MONTHS of issues with random BSOD's and tried a dozen things, sometimes going weeks without crashes - built an entirely new PC with all new hardware and they still followed me, finally finding out my USB webcams mic was failing, and crashing windows.
About four PC's ago i had similar, and it was my ram modules heating up - they'd reach over 90C due to being in a bad air pocket above a hot, 4870 crossfire setup, but after merely 2 minutes of being powered off, they were back under 40C again - and stable for another 5-10 hours of gaming or stress testing. found many 'fixes' but the issues came back, niggling at my sanity.

System Name Shadow
Processor AMD FX-8370
Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo/Aerocool DeadSilence fans
Memory Kingston 2x8GB 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) 2 x Sapphire R9 270X 4GB DDR5
Storage SanDisk 128GB SSD, WD Blue 1T
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart M850 80+ Bronze
Software Windows 7 64-bit
lots of system instability (often power, OC or ram related) are almsot random. they can disappear for weeks at a time, then suddenly strike - you can change one setting, give the PC time to cool down 10C and think that you fixed it, when really you're just in that in-between period.

i had MONTHS of issues with random BSOD's and tried a dozen things, sometimes going weeks without crashes - built an entirely new PC with all new hardware and they still followed me, finally finding out my USB webcams mic was failing, and crashing windows.
About four PC's ago i had similar, and it was my ram modules heating up - they'd reach over 90C due to being in a bad air pocket above a hot, 4870 crossfire setup, but after merely 2 minutes of being powered off, they were back under 40C again - and stable for another 5-10 hours of gaming or stress testing. found many 'fixes' but the issues came back, niggling at my sanity.

I haven't gotten a BSOD with my issue, just game lock up. After closing the game, I was fine.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I haven't gotten a BSOD with my issue, just game lock up. After closing the game, I was fine.
Skyrim isn't want you call a stable game to begin with. It would crash on air traffic control systems. If you have BF3 crank that up for a few hours and if you can run it without freezing then I wouldn't worry.