• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sonnet Debuts Echo Express II Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis for PCI Express Cards

Sonnet today announced the Echo Express II, the newest member of the company's popular Echo family of Thunderbolt expansion chassis for PCIe cards. Featuring two PCIe slots, the new Thunderbolt-to-PCIe expansion chassis enables the use of a wide variety of high-performance PCI Express cards, originally designed for use in desktop computers, with any computer equipped with a Thunderbolt port.

The Echo Express II was designed for users needing a compact solution to connect two PCIe cards to their computers, and supports the majority of Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe cards. Based on the original Echo Express expansion chassis, the Echo Express II adds a second slot to support two half-length (up to 7.25 inches long), full-height, single-width PCIe 2.0 x16 cards. Like its siblings, the Echo Express II expansion chassis has dual Thunderbolt ports to support daisy chaining of devices.

The new Echo chassis includes three temperature-controlled, variable-speed fans for cooling the cards and the chassis' components, and a universal 100W internal power supply. This Sonnet solution also conserves energy by powering on and off with the computer to which it's attached.

The Echo Express II enables iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro computers equipped with a Thunderbolt port to use Thunderbolt-compatible professional video capture, audio interface, SAS and SATA HBA, 8 Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gb Ethernet, and RAID controller cards. The list of compatible cards is available on Sonnet's website and is continually expanding as more cards are tested and certified. Like the other models in the Echo family, the Echo Express II was designed, engineered, and built by Sonnet in California. The system is backed with Sonnet's Pro 5-year warranty.

"Feedback from our customers on the Echo Express line has been overwhelmingly positive. These products have been integrated into the workflows of many creative professionals, with users discovering new applications every day," said Robert Farnsworth, CEO of Sonnet Technologies. "Similar to the Echo Express Pro, the Echo Express II was designed to accommodate the needs of users requiring two slots for expansion cards, but not the extra length afforded by the Echo Express Pro's longer design."

The Echo Express II (part number ECHO-EXP2H) is now available for USD $699. More information on the product and compatible PCIe expansion cards is available at http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresschassis.html.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
That's sexy! :cool:

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
If possible, I won't ever settle for desktop PCs. Give me a x86 tablet and I'll turn it into gaming beast.:toast:

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Wow Sonnet is still in business. Seemed like all the Mac upgrade makers vanished when Apple switched to x86. Guess they live on making stuff like this. Sonnet was really popular with a general user who knew squat about the inside of their Mac, but alienated by the power user/enthusiast. They wouldn't allow you to overclock. In fact they took huge strides to make sure people couldn't ever attempt overclocking even by solder/etc.

I got into more than a few argument sessions on the old MacWorld forums with Sonnet people back in my Mac days. MW gave Sonnet free reign over their upgrade forum and they were blasting clockers, flashers, and everyone who even tried to get more performance out of their Mac without using a Sonnet upgrade. Had people there practically scared to death about touching anything inside their Macs. Then they charged more for the same product you could get elsewhere under the premise theirs had less hassles.

Terrible company, glad I never supported them.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Sonnet had a good upgrade deal for 233Mhz G3 to 400Mhz G4 for the beige desktop G3 back when I used to use a G3 so I can't complain. All upgrades that I've gotten in the past were pretty good, from CPU upgrades to expansion cards. Just keep in mind that this is pretty easy to do as ThunderBolt is just a multiplexed signal with a mix of PCI-E, DisplayPort and power on the side. The cable you buy for ThunderBolt matters too because the signal is mux'ed and de-mux'ed on the cable (the cable in fact has two mux and two demux in it since the signal coming out of the port is actually different than the signal transmitted over the wire, but by the time it get demuxed at the other end, it's back to the way it was before it entered. It's a pretty nifty idea if you ask me.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It would be cool if it supported GPUs... but those also need specific power requirements - it doesnt really talk about the power limit of the cards that it is using

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
It would be cool if it supported GPUs... but those also need specific power requirements - it doesnt really talk about the power limit of the cards that it is using

Could get an Express Pro, wire up a 6-pin PCIe power cable to the PS, and then use an HD7850 or GTX 660.

Will it work? Possibly... someone buy one and find out :) It won't be me, these expansion units are $600-$800.

SonnetTech

Upgrade Cards

Wow Sonnet is still in business. Seemed like all the Mac upgrade makers vanished when Apple switched to x86. Guess they live on making stuff like this. Sonnet was really popular with a general user who knew squat about the inside of their Mac, but alienated by the power user/enthusiast. They wouldn't allow you to overclock. In fact they took huge strides to make sure people couldn't ever attempt overclocking even by solder/etc.

I got into more than a few argument sessions on the old MacWorld forums with Sonnet people back in my Mac days. MW gave Sonnet free reign over their upgrade forum and they were blasting clockers, flashers, and everyone who even tried to get more performance out of their Mac without using a Sonnet upgrade. Had people there practically scared to death about touching anything inside their Macs. Then they charged more for the same product you could get elsewhere under the premise theirs had less hassles.

Terrible company, glad I never supported them.

Hi,

Yes, the company's product line transition over the last decade from processor upgrades to expansion cards, storage solutions, and Thunderbolt expansion. In the development of products, Sonnet works closely with technology manufacturers to ensure compliance with engineering specifications. In the case of processor upgrades and working with Motorola, there are fault tolerances by pushing processors too far that can cause instability. Overclocking was frowned upon by Motorola. Our products did have less hassle due the fact we looked at the overall system stability for the end-user.

With in-house software and hardware engineers, we are able to provide a level of support to ensure system compatibility and stability. For those who wished to overlock and push their systems, other options were available on the market. For most end-users looking to upgrade the inside of their computer, it was a scary proposition to crack open the case and see the electrical components of their machines. We strove to provide the best ease of use/performance/stability of upgrade products.

In regards to Thunderbolt products, the same approach is taken. We work directly with Apple, Intel and third-party developers to ensure the best performance/compatibility.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
If possible, I won't ever settle for desktop PCs. Give me a x86 tablet and I'll turn it into gaming beast.:toast:

And then came along Crysis 3.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Hi,

Yes, the company's product line transition over the last decade from processor upgrades to expansion cards, storage solutions, and Thunderbolt expansion. In the development of products, Sonnet works closely with technology manufacturers to ensure compliance with engineering specifications. In the case of processor upgrades and working with Motorola, there are fault tolerances by pushing processors too far that can cause instability. Overclocking was frowned upon by Motorola. Our products did have less hassle due the fact we looked at the overall system stability for the end-user.

With in-house software and hardware engineers, we are able to provide a level of support to ensure system compatibility and stability. For those who wished to overlock and push their systems, other options were available on the market. For most end-users looking to upgrade the inside of their computer, it was a scary proposition to crack open the case and see the electrical components of their machines. We strove to provide the best ease of use/performance/stability of upgrade products.

In regards to Thunderbolt products, the same approach is taken. We work directly with Apple, Intel and third-party developers to ensure the best performance/compatibility.

You guys saved me a lot of money back when I used Mac exclusively. I am glad to see you guys are keeping up with the times and are still around. I was surprised to see your name and iomega on the TPU front page in the past few months.