• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sonos Beam Gen 2

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
While not a massive upgrade to its predecessor, the Sonos Beam Gen 2 is quite possibly the best compact soundbar currently on the market not only because of its performance, but also the way it seamlessly transforms from a soundbar into an awesome smart speaker.

Show full review

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
I bought one a couple weeks ago to use as my PC speakers (overkill I know, since I'm not using it for surround sound). Fits nicely on my desk. I stuck some stainless steel drink coasters under it at both ends as feet and to enable my keyboard cables to passthrough under it.

snip_20220105160344.png

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
I had a gen1 and used it as a PC speaker too.
Overall good soundbar.

My only complaint is, there is no " 0 latency " option in the control software.
PC users had fast response displays, don't need compensation for that.
The lowest latency setting is good enough, but still noticeable when compare to shelf speakers / headphone

Hope they can update the control software to support a "0 latency" mode.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Does the control app run P2P or route through the cloud? (Maybe you mentioned this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)

Somewhat related, was it Sonos that had some speaker models brick when support was terminated, or something like that?

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
Does the control app run P2P or route through the cloud? (Maybe you mentioned this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)

Somewhat related, was it Sonos that had some speaker models brick when support was terminated, or something like that?

Your phone/PC needs to be in the same LAN in order to detect your Sonos system, it is not accessible through the cloud when you're outside of your home (there are ways to add this functionality, but it is not supported natively).

I think the incident you're referring to is when they offered a 30% discount if you decided to upgrade your current Sonos products to new ones, and then bricked the old devices to render them unusable. They faced an outrage and removed the so-called Recycle Mode completely.

You do make a good point though. Long-term support is absolutely worth considering when deciding which multiroom speaker system to buy. This is a common pitfall of all generic multiroom systems, and one of the key reasons why I'd urge anyone to consider nothing other than Sonos, Denon HEOS and Bluesound BluOS. Every other small(er) multiroom speaker ecosystem is simply too risky to buy into, as its manufacturer could stop supporting it at any time, if and when they decide it's not worth it to them anymore, due to a low number of units sold.

I bought one a couple weeks ago to use as my PC speakers (overkill I know, since I'm not using it for surround sound). Fits nicely on my desk. I stuck some stainless steel drink coasters under it at both ends as feet and to enable my keyboard cables to passthrough under it.

How are you finding it for nearfield listening?

Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Your phone/PC needs to be in the same LAN in order to detect your Sonos system, it is not accessible through the cloud when you're outside of your home (there are ways to add this functionality, but it is not supported natively).

I think the incident you're referring to is when they offered a 30% discount if you decided to upgrade your current Sonos products to new ones, and then bricked the old devices to render them unusable. They faced an outrage and removed the so-called Recycle Mode completely.

You do make a good point though. Long-term support is absolutely worth considering when deciding which multiroom speaker system to buy. This is a common pitfall of all generic multiroom systems, and one of the key reasons why I'd urge anyone to consider nothing other than Sonos, Denon HEOS and Bluesound BluOS. Every other small(er) multiroom speaker ecosystem is simply too risky to buy into, as its manufacturer could stop supporting it at any time, if and when they decide it's not worth it to them anymore, due to a low number of units sold.

How are you finding it for nearfield listening?

I like it better than the Bose Companion 2 Series III PC speakers that I had prior.

I bought a wall/tv mount for it, and plan to mount it under my desk to be out of the way. Hopefully it still sounds good. Eventually I'll get around to modifying the mount for it so I can test that out.