• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Announces New VAIO-Z Series, Ultimate Performance and Design

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Weighing little over a kilogram, the new VAIO Z Series notebook PC from Sony is created for mobile professionals who demand absolute performance and portability. VAIO Z blends ultra-desirable styling and premium carbon fibre with no-compromise specifications and innovative productivity features. In the office or on the road, this class-leading business notebook helps demanding users work more efficiently with the ultimate in on-the-move computing power.

All-new VAIO Z takes cutting-edge styling by Sony to new extremes, with a 'full flat' body and display lid that are crafted in tough, ultra-light carbon fibre. At just below 1.2kg and 16.65mm slim, the new VAIO Z is the perfect partner for business travellers who demand ultimate power with less to carry.

On-the-go usability is enhanced further by the backlit keyboard with extra-wide palm rest and ergonomic new 'button-less' touchpad. With a resolution of 1600x900, the 33.2cm (13.1") VAIO Display Premium features an anti-reflective coating that cuts glare from direct light sources and ensures crisp colour reproduction.

Performance is everything you'd expect from the most sophisticated VAIO notebook yet. Latest-generation standard voltage Intel Core i7 processors are teamed with speedy DDR3 SDRAM and up to 256GB SSD RAID storage to blaze through the toughest workload with ease.

As an extra refinement, Quick Boot saves precious time when you're in a hurry, loading Genuine Windows 7 Professional up to 50% quicker than conventional notebooks. Embedded VAIO 'everywair' 3G WWAN on selected models connects via your mobile broadband operator.

Power Media Dock
The performance of VAIO Z Series is taken to new extremes by the unique Power Media Dock2, a monolithic expansion module that links with VAIO via an optical cable. The proprietary port can also be used to attach regular USB devices to VAIO when it's not docked.

Featuring high-speed I/O data transfer based on the architecture codenamed 'Light Peak', Power Media Dock boosts graphics performance while adding numerous extra connectivity options. It includes an optical drive for even greater business productivity and satisfying HD entertainment. The module comes supplied with a stylish design-matched stand.

With Power Media Dock added, VAIO Z can manage up to four displays (including the notebook screen) via HDMI and/or VGA output ports. In this configuration, VAIO Z makes a compelling choice for design, finance and science professionals who need to work across several screens simultaneously. New-generation AMD Radeon HD graphics with 1GB VRAM effortlessly handle demanding graphics tasks, from 3D CAD to gaming.

When docked, connectivity options are boosted by additional USB ports plus VGA and HDMI outputs. Power Media Dock also sports an optical drive bay that can be specified with a Blu-ray Disc or SuperMulti combo drive. Games and movies on DVD or Blu-ray Disc sound as good as they look with latest Dolby Home Theater v4.

Sheet battery
VAIO Z features the innovative 'sheet battery' already showcased on this year's VAIO S Series. The notebook's internal lithium polymer battery provides power for up to 7 hours1 on-the-go computing. It's partnered by a second thin, flat optional lithium polymer sheet battery that can be charged separately from the PC and added without removing the internal battery. The sheet battery attaches without having to switch off the PC, boosting stamina to up to 14 hours1 for day-and-night working, even if you're far from mains power.

VAIO Z delivers a richer communication experience if you're staying in touch with colleagues via video conference or web chat. The HD web camera powered by Exmor technology ensures detailed-packed video even in low light.

There's a full range of official accessories from Sony, style-matched to complement the looks and performance of your VAIO. Many more configuration options - including a Full HD (1920 x 1080) LCD - are available exclusively to online shoppers at Sony Store.

The new 2011 VAIO Z Series of ultra-portable performance notebook PCs is available from the end of July 2011 (actual date of availability varies by country).

Features:
  • 33.2cm (13.1") VAIO Z Series: less than 1.2 kg and 16.65mm slim with stunning design and smart battery concept
  • Business-class power with latest standard voltage Intel Core i7 processors and fast SSD storage
  • High-resolution (1600x900) anti-reflective VAIO Display Premium
  • Optional sheet battery gives up to 14hr stamina1 with quick charge
  • Power Media Dock 2 with quad video monitor support, AMD Radeon HD graphics, optical drive and extra ports including HDMI out
  • Quick Boot gets you working in seconds
Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-2620M 2.70GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz)
  • Memory: 8 GB DDR3-1333 MHz
  • OS: Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
  • Primary Storage: 256 GB solid state drive flash memory RAID 0
  • Display: 13.1-inch VAIO Display Premium with 1600 x 900 pixels resolution
  • Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Optical Storage: DVD SuperMulti Drive included with VGP-PRZ20C Power Media Dock
  • Others: WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n; 3G WWAN; Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR; USB 2.0 x1, docking station/USB port x1 (supports USB 2.0/3.0 compatible devices); HDMI out (3D supported); stereo speakers with Dolby Home Theater v4; HD web camera powered by 'Exmor' (1.3 effective megapixels); Web, VAIO and Assist buttons; touchpad with gesture support; fingerprint sensor; Quick Boot
  • Dimensions: Approx. 210 x 16.65 x 330 mm (D x H x W)
  • Weight: Approx. 1.18 kg (with standard internal battery)
VAIO PowerMedia Dock VGP-PRZ20C/VGP-PRZ20A Specifications:
  • Graphics Accelerator: AMD Radeon HD 6650M with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated memory
  • Analogue RGB output: 1920 x 1200
  • HDMI: 1920 x 1080
  • Optical Drive:
    o VGP-PRZ20C: DVD SuperMulti Drive
    o VGP-PRZ20A: Blu-ray Disc Drive with DVD SuperMulti
  • LAN port: 1000BASE-T/100BASE-T/10BASE-T x1
  • USB ports: Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) Type A Connector x2, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) x1
  • Monitor ports: D-Sub x1, HDMI x1
  • Dimensions (DxHxW): 148 x 16.65 x 220 mm
  • Weight: Approx. 0.685 kg

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
My missus has one of the previous generation Z-series for a work laptop - they are great pieces of kit; expensive as hell though.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
"Latest-generation standard voltage Intel Core i7 processors". Why not Low Voltage or ULV processors. Cooler. Longer battery life. How strange to market this as standard voltage. Perhaps the marketing department didnt understand that the technical specification standard voltage isnt a feature!

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
"How bout just making the Radeon standard instead of making a whole complicated setup which will become a tech support nightmare?"-Me
"Betcha you'd want Intel craphics...I mean, graphics...if you were making the quotas we are off this baby. " -Sony
"Sorry but I'm not affiliated with Apple Inc." -Me

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
It would be interesting if they offered beefier video cards for their custom ViDock.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I just can't see why anyone would buy a $ONY PC, i had a vaio back in highschool, that had problems, their tech support sent me an email with a bios file and how to flash it. Long story short, the bios bricked the laptop because of some missing proptietery chip they use. They then said I had to pay them 100 dollars to have it fixed and wait a month.

No one should ever buy a VAIO, even if they no longer require all that proprietary stuffs.

That said I do like the design.