• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Helping Create New Mass-Storage Optical Disc Archive Solutions

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Archiving Terabytes of information in the "cloud" costs you a monthly fee. Sitting on high-density optical disk(s) does not.

All in all, it really depends upon your needs, your budget and how automated you want the access to archival data.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Archiving Terabytes of information in the "cloud" costs you a monthly fee. Sitting on high-density optical disk(s) does not.

All in all, it really depends upon your needs, your budget and how automated you want the access to archival data.

sure as with all things IT related.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I definitely do not want to use the cloud as a backup or even archival purposes...
I've already lost so much stuff.
:(

I blame digibuc >_>

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Many companies who sell you "space in the cloud" are renting space from large server farms owned by someone else who has cloud services. So if the wind blows the cloud away, you can't do diddly and neither can the company your paying.

I'll stay in the dirt.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
As a sysadmin as well and system integrator, i rather have my data archived on ultra-high-density LTO tapes AND they have +15 years archival life.

Plus it's an OPEN standard with a clearly defined and real roadmap (and DLT even failed hard against it), whilst sony is always doomed to fail thanks to their propiecrap technology (MOs?, DAT?, VXA?) with ridiculous pricing(even for enterprise standards).

Companies want hard copies of the data in their vaults and offsite highly secured vaults, all that "cloud cloud" is pure nonsense, it's like "virtual money".

Processor Intel i5 3550
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
Cooling Thermaltake Performer 2.0 AIO Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 960
Storage Corsair Neutron 256gb Boot drive, ~7tb storage combined on other drives
Display(s) AOC 27" 1920x1080 IPS and Wacom Cintiq 13" HD
Case Fractal Design Node 804
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio, Pyle Pro PTA2 Amp, Sony SS-B3000 Speakers, Sennheiser HD595 headphones
Power Supply Antec 750W "High Current Gamer"
Mouse SteelSeries Diablo 3
Keyboard Rosewill Mechanical with cherry black keys
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
This to me, seems like the new "high tech" version of the old tape drives.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
this seems crazy expensive and full of fail. optical discs are not as dependable and far more expensive than a raid array. very lame.

Exactly! The days of optical media are long gone.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Okay here's my take on it as a sys admin.

Archival storage is for data that is not being accessed with any regularity or perhaps not at all unless there is some need to get historical references to something. Many times access to archival data is based upon a request for access (at which time the archive can be pulled and put online) and not on an immediate need.
Some IT departments will keep a portion of their archives online(or at least readily available) based upon the likelyhood of access need, and simply pull obsolete or unused data by request only.

Anyway, for small and medium sized businesses (and even some large businesses), not running HDD arrays can reduce overhead and replacement costs by utilizing other archival mediums (tapes, ODs), when high data availability and high access performance is not imperative.

As far as Sony using a propretary format that only works with there stuff, that's almost a given. But proprietary does not equal fail if there is a genuine market need (or desire) for this type of format.

As always, time and the markets will determine this projects success or failure.

We use Tape still on our AS/400, its a PITA. Nightly backups. However we run RAID 5 in it, and on our other server. The other server gets backed up to disk that is kept in the safe. More or less prone to damage than tape in the event of emergency? Both are screwed, but a 15 minute system incremental update over firewire VS a 1 hour or longer backup to tape? Tapes cost alot, wear out, and the Tandberg drive had to be replaced two years ago at the low price of almost a grand.

Tape = crap.

HDD storage is cheap and reliable.

As a sysadmin as well and system integrator, i rather have my data archived on ultra-high-density LTO tapes AND they have +15 years archival life.

Plus it's an OPEN standard with a clearly defined and real roadmap (and DLT even failed hard against it), whilst sony is always doomed to fail thanks to their propiecrap technology (MOs?, DAT?, VXA?) with ridiculous pricing(even for enterprise standards).

Companies want hard copies of the data in their vaults and offsite highly secured vaults, all that "cloud cloud" is pure nonsense, it's like "virtual money".

Cloud is reliable as long as you are hosting it with a reputable company. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple (really, but no), and many others.

Tape is still the primary way, but it is going to die sooner or later.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Steeve, only a grand?, and since you say Tandberg i'm assuming it's DLT?

LTO-5 drives cost upwards of 2~3K, and they're well worth it.

If you have a decent backup software that implements D2D2T with good rotation, then the old tapes are vaulted offsite (one tape per month maybe) and you retain the closest backups in the intermediate cheap sata disk array.

i don't see tape dying not even in mid term, it's going to continue to be the bechmark for backups.
The change is going to be for SOHO, that in the past had no options but shitty DAT drives (they have USB DAT nowadays, but noone sane buys those, slow as hell, unreliable as any other Sony product), now with 2008R2 support those small businesses uses inexpensive external USB drives for backup.
(Interesting fact that 2008R2 dropped tape support for "ntbackup" -not that anyone used it on 2008 anyways-)