1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony increases 50Gb Blu-ray disk production

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Nov 20, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    As of today, Sony has six factories churning out 50Gb Blu-ray disks, and nine factories making the 25Gb single layer versions. Sony has also increased the production of Blu-ray disks to around 60,000 a day. The recent surge in popularity is caused by what Sony calls "superior, uncompressed audio and high bit-rate video" on the Blu-ray. In a press release, Sony said this about Blu-ray performance.
    Over three million disks have been produced this year, to roughly 35 major OEM partners.

Source: The Inquirer

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    This "news" is nothing more than SONY marketing publicity by their ad agency. Are we impressed? Are we going to change our (-ve) minds about Blu-ray? Me? No.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I personally have yet to see either BD or HD DVD. Personally, if they both look good I dont give a good damn. I will get both, when they are affordable.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDDVD is absolutely affordable. First gen players were ONLY $500, and most movies are $20 and look absolutely STUNNING. Second gen players are due out soon, and expect to be much less.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But dont forget..
    Unlike the move to DVD, all you needed was a DVD player.
    Now with HDDVD, you dont just need a HDDVD player, but a HDTV as well which arent cheap (yes cheaper than they were but not cheap).
    This I believe will hinder people from buying these.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well obviously, if you aren't into HD, then you aren't into HDDVD. The market is there for people in the market. And HDTV's are much much cheaper these days. I paid $5000 for my 60" SXRD last fall on the day it was released, a year later, 2007 model line - same size is half that price.

10 Year Member at TPU