• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony wins an Emmy for Sixaxis controller

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
While a lot of people would think Nintendo should win an Emmy for their controller, the people at the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences decided otherwise. The Sony PS3 controller won the Technology and Engineering Emmy Award at CES 2007, while Nintendo didn't even get an honorable mention. Sony's XBR interface is also being nominated for "Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology". The actual Emmy will be awarded later tonight.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Wtf? I think Sony may have had some financial backing ;)

System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT
definitely, nothing in the PS3 warrants an emmy. IMO the 360 should have won the "Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology" award and the Wii the emmy for the controller as well as an emmy for "most family oriented home entertainment device" or something :S

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
for me personally and millions of others the playstation pad is perfect which is why it has changed little in 3 console incarnations but i cannot help think there was a sweetener involved in sony getting this award when you considder it has the same features as an x360 pad.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I think that Jack Daniels should win all the awards. After all is there a better panty removing solution known to man?

Processor athlon64 x3800 oc'ed to 2.5 ghz
Motherboard ecs kn1-lite
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro
Memory 2 gig gigaram ddr 400
Video Card(s) geforce8600gt
Storage raptor 74k and 160 gig harddrive
Display(s) 19 inch lcd monitor with resolution of 1440x900
Case Antec case
Audio Device(s) sound blaster xi-fi
Power Supply 650 watts antec power supply
Software windows xp pro.
this is painfully bias its not even funny.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Personally, I like the PS3 controller A LOT better than the Wii controller(and I own a Wii, not a PS3). Honestly, the Wii controller gets gimmicky very quickly. Plus, the fact that the controller is a lot more expensive doesn't help. With the Wiimote you have to spend $40 just for a controller, then another $20 for a Nunchuk. However, the PS3 controller is about $10 less. On top of that, the Wiimote eats a set of batteries about every week, while the PS3 is rechargable.

Processor i7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 ITX
Cooling Corsair A50 (CPU) and Antec Kuhler 620 (GPU)
Memory G. Skill 8GB 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 290X
Storage OCZ SSD and 1TB Hardrive
Display(s) Dell S2415h
Case Cheap Cougar Case
Power Supply Corsair 650w PSU
Software Windows 10
Well at least my Xbox 360 controller has rumble, you know that feature that we have had for a few video game generations now?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I couldn't honestly care less about rumble. It really isn't that big of a deal. Plus, most of the Xbox360 stuff, including the controller, came out the year before, and hence wasn't eligable.

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
"Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology"

Is that the "OIAAMTBUPMDPT" award?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
Storage 2x 74g 10000rpm Raid:0
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 widescreen
Software 3dmark06 score: 7650
LMAO @ this topic. Rumble was a much better feature than the 6axis. The games that I've played that utilize the 6-axis don't make the game any more fun to play. I'll pay an extra 10 for the wiimote. Besides, the sixaxis' battery depletes extremely quickly - i do get more life out of my AA powered wiimote - and the controller now is too light since the rumble was removed.

Casheti

Yeah but the Wii's controller kept breaking and killing people. Hardly innovative and is not deserving of an award.

Processor dual G34 6128he
Motherboard h8dg6
Cooling OEM
Memory 48gb DDR3 ECC REG
Video Card(s) onboard
Storage 12x 3tb 4x 15k sas
Display(s) crappy lcd
Case chenbro rackmouunt
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic 3x redundant
Software ProxMox
i very much miss the rumble feature of ps2 controllers, espiecially in driving games where its sometimes hard to tell if yur rubbing the rumble strip or not... other then that the ps3 controll is perfect. and the batteries in mine last a LOOONG time before needing charged. i do think the wii should hav got more nominations but the ps3 does hav a lot of innovative hardware inside it.

Murasame

System Name Amaterasu
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula II P45
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500a
Memory OCZ (2 x 1GB) and (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Storage Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 19" Widescreen LCD
Case Anted P180b
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Power Supply Rosewill T550w
Software Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores 3DMark '06 - 8691
I don't understand this. If the "Hey we lost rumble, but we've got motion sensors too!" ps3 Sixaxis won an emmy than the Wii mote deserves an oscar.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
tbh i cant stand wireless pads, its not like someone is going to be sitting far enough from the tv to justify needing a wireless controler

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
LMAO @ this topic. Rumble was a much better feature than the 6axis. The games that I've played that utilize the 6-axis don't make the game any more fun to play. I'll pay an extra 10 for the wiimote. Besides, the sixaxis' battery depletes extremely quickly - i do get more life out of my AA powered wiimote - and the controller now is too light since the rumble was removed.

I have to disagree, when it first came out I loved rumble(in fact I rushed out to buy the Dual Shock versions of RE and RE2 even though I already owned both games). However, over the years it has gotten to the point where it is over used, especially in racing games. Developers have even gone as far as to keep the controller constantly rumbling and it just rumbles slightly more when something on the screen happens, that isn't fun. I say good ridence to the rumble feature. I don't even turn the rumble feature on when playing my Wii, though that is probably due more to the fact that the batteries die twice as fast when using it.

Yes, the AA batteries on the Wiimote last longer, I never said they didn't. The point is that when the PS3 controller's battery dies, you can just plug it in a charge it, heck you can even keep playing. However, when the Wiimote AA batteries die, you have to go buy new one, or hope you didn't use the last pair the few days before when you put the last set in the Wiimote. The point about the controller being more expensive wasn't that to actually buy the controller costs a whole lot more, $10 is nothing, but over the time of a year you are going to spend at least another $50 on batteries. On top of that, we are going to have games that require the classic controller, so that is another $20. So now we are up to $30 more for the remote itself, and at least another $50 a year on batteries.

On top of all of that, there is NOTHING new about the Wiimote. Hence why Nintendo is being sued becauce they copied something that was already patented. Remember the award is about inovation, and there is no inovation in just copying someone elses design.

tbh i cant stand wireless pads, its not like someone is going to be sitting far enough from the tv to justify needing a wireless controler

I have a 60" TV, I sit far enough away to need a wireless controller, otherwise it is like I am sitting right next to the TV. My normal PS2 controller cables don't reach to my couch.

Processor dual G34 6128he
Motherboard h8dg6
Cooling OEM
Memory 48gb DDR3 ECC REG
Video Card(s) onboard
Storage 12x 3tb 4x 15k sas
Display(s) crappy lcd
Case chenbro rackmouunt
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic 3x redundant
Software ProxMox

ehh, my PS3 sits BEHIND the couch and is hooked to a projector. i was never fond of wireless controlls either, until now.

newbielives

Being someone who is a die hard sim racing fan , rumble is saddly missed.
Ok so Sony decided to screw people using the Sixaxis with racing and FPS games, I was okay with that because I wouldn't touch a controller for racing games anyway, but losing rumble on the Driving Force Pro Steering wheel. What the hell was Sony thinking?

Now newtekie you must either work for Sony/SonyFakeBlogger or some how was brainwashed by Sony, but you have to admit, Wii is more deserving of this award then the sixaxis lol

I have to disagree, when it first came out I loved rumble(in fact I rushed out to buy the Dual Shock versions of RE and RE2 even though I already owned both games). However, over the years it has gotten to the point where it is over used, especially in racing games. Developers have even gone as far as to keep the controller constantly rumbling and it just rumbles slightly more when something on the screen happens, that isn't fun. I say good ridence to the rumble feature. I don't even turn the rumble feature on when playing my Wii, though that is probably due more to the fact that the batteries die twice as fast when using it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Now newtekie you must either work for Sony/SonyFakeBlogger or some how was brainwashed by Sony, but you have to admit, Wii is more deserving of this award then the sixaxis lol

Yes, because anyone that doesn't agree with you must work for Sony.

I don't agree that rumble is important, even in racing games. I manage just fine without rumble in every PC game I play, including the racing games.

Actual, realistic, force feedback is what I like to see in games, especially racing games, and so far the PC is actually the only place you can get that. Rumble is not force feedback, it is nothing but an annoying useless gimmick.

It being hard to turn the wheel in real life, then suddenly being easy, as the tires lose grip in the game is an amazing feeling.

Merely getting the same rumble when my tires start to slip as I get when I run over the rumble strips or miss a brake point and go into the grass or hit another car or even accelerate is really rather lame.

No the Wii controller doesn't deserve the award, the award is about innovation, the Wii controller isn't innovative, they stole almost every aspect of the design.

Murasame

System Name Amaterasu
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula II P45
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500a
Memory OCZ (2 x 1GB) and (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Storage Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 19" Widescreen LCD
Case Anted P180b
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Power Supply Rosewill T550w
Software Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores 3DMark '06 - 8691
Yes, because anyone that doesn't agree with you must work for Sony.

I don't agree that rumble is important, even in racing games. I manage just fine without rumble in every PC game I play, including the racing games.

Actual, realistic, force feedback is what I like to see in games, especially racing games, and so far the PC is actually the only place you can get that. Rumble is not force feedback, it is nothing but an annoying useless gimmick.

It being hard to turn the wheel in real life, then suddenly being easy, as the tires lose grip in the game is an amazing feeling.

Merely getting the same rumble when my tires start to slip as I get when I run over the rumble strips or miss a brake point and go into the grass or hit another car or even accelerate is really rather lame.

No the Wii controller doesn't deserve the award, the award is about innovation, the Wii controller isn't innovative, they stole almost every aspect of the design.

Hold on there. Umm.....who did nintendo steal those designs from? Cause they've been toying with using everything in the wii mote since snes. They haven't stole anything from anyone. Sixaxis has nothing innovative at all. Its just a ps2 controller with motion sensor instead of rumble. Which isn't all that bad sense the ps2 controller was almost perfect. Unless Sixaxis got the award for having multiple red led lights on it then I can't see anything to justify it winning this award.

newbielives

Well since it's your opinion, I won't argue with you even though I totally disagree but WOW on the last bit there

and the Sixaxis is?

error_f0rce

Processor Intel Core i7-930 (D0) @ 4.0GHz (1.28v)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooling CoolIT ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling w/ x2 Scythe ULTRA-KAZE 3000rpm | Scythe Master controller
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Redline - 6GB DDR3 @ 1910MHz 8-10-8-29
Video Card(s) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5
Storage RAID-0 w/ 2x OCZ Agility 2 SSD 90GB SATA II 3.5" (r4.6Gb/s w4.2Gb/s)
Display(s) ASUS VW266H - 26" LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout | x2 120mm Scythe ULTRA-KAZE | 140mm Scythe Slipstream KAZE Maru2
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX - 850w
I have a 60" TV, I sit far enough away to need a wireless controller, otherwise it is like I am sitting right next to the TV. My normal PS2 controller cables don't reach to my couch.

Have to agree with you there. I have a 55" that sits across the room (14' away) from me and the PS3 is on top. Even if a cord were long enough, it would still hang in front of the TV.

But even that isn't the reason I love wireless controllers. I think being able to hold the controller in your hands anyway you want, juke/pull it anyway without cords ripping out of your console, sit/lay/stand anyway you want, walk over to answer the door while still playing, etc. is the bomb. It gives a very natural, unattached sensation to the game play. Very comfortable. BTW, I hated the idea of wireless until I'd spent a few hours playing with one that worked really well.

error_f0rce

Processor Intel Core i7-930 (D0) @ 4.0GHz (1.28v)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooling CoolIT ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling w/ x2 Scythe ULTRA-KAZE 3000rpm | Scythe Master controller
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Redline - 6GB DDR3 @ 1910MHz 8-10-8-29
Video Card(s) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5
Storage RAID-0 w/ 2x OCZ Agility 2 SSD 90GB SATA II 3.5" (r4.6Gb/s w4.2Gb/s)
Display(s) ASUS VW266H - 26" LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout | x2 120mm Scythe ULTRA-KAZE | 140mm Scythe Slipstream KAZE Maru2
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX - 850w
I could care less about awards... whatever.... :slap:

I think the ideas used in both controllers are awesome though! Read about how they actually work if you haven't already.... it's the same technology that we've been using in missiles and car airbags for years, but up until recently was way too expensive for consumers:
http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,239029706,339272402,00.htm

Props to both Sony and Nintendo for making products people can enjoy and have fun with. Let them fight over the patents, awards, innovation, etc.... I'm just the consumer and I win either way :D

Casheti

I could care less about awards... whatever.... :slap:

I think the ideas used in both controllers are awesome though! Read about how they actually work if you haven't already.... it's the same technology that we've been using in missiles and car airbags for years, but up until recently was way too expensive for consumers:
http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,239029706,339272402,00.htm

Props to both Sony and Nintendo for making products people can enjoy and have fun with. Let them fight over the patents, awards, innovation, etc.... I'm just the consumer and I win either way :D

Yeah bitch....YEAH