• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soon: Kaby Lake-based Systems Carrying Intel Optane Solutions

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well i tried to google for it. I have it posted all over the place in various forums on endurance of SSDs and how steady state and mix loads are important. If you do any legitimate amount of usage. I have it in my server now so the the average per day is not the same since it hasnt done much in years. Its been idle for a couple years now but has 47.22TB of writes and 155TB of reads. I thought i had a screenie of it but can't find it so might be buried in archives.

Also reads are important to understand mix loads and what your system actually tries to do in a single day. If i averaged 150GB writes and 500GB of reads in a 24 hour on period most of that usage is in large batches and mostly mixed for me.

ripping 2-3 movies, some background AV/AM, playing a game or loading programs while rippings plus coping files. The 840 would actually hang and PC woudl freeze because the steady state on the 840 was total shit especially in mix work loads even with OP. I almost never had a hang from my Extreme Pro and never with my 950 PRO and my 950 PRO allows me to do more at once.

Really curious where i have those screenies saved.....fuk it i'll turn my server on...ops i forgot i need to fix snapraid and everything is still encrypted from when i went to Asia for 2 months in october. I'll have to check later :/
well... put it this way... you are one of 10000 who can manage to average 100gb /day writes. Most dont come anywhere close to that...like a couple gb at best is a regular user. You are an exception with your usage model, clearly.

Again, writes on any remotely modern ssd are not an issue for 95% of users..and certainly not because of the page file. Now let's move past my sole, elementary point. :)

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
windows and its swap file is a bit daft.. the more real memory you have the greater the space windows sets aside for its swap file.. its back to front logic because the more real ram you have the less likely you are to ever need a swap file..

to windows its all the same.. "virtual memory".. virtual memory is pretty much only limited by the size of your drives.. the snag being that any machine that has to resort to the hard drive pretend ram will run like a sick dog..

its left over from the past when no machine had enough ram..

i turned mine off firstly because i make sure i have enough ram to never need windows to swap file and secondly because it makes the regular system drive back ups i used to do much smaller and quicker..

i now just leave it to macriem reflect to do daily system back ups to a usb hard drive.. it is worth noting that even with a 31 gig windows system drive the reflect folder on my usb drive is close to 400 gigs in size and it grows by the day.. he he..

but for those that have plenty of real ram and have a swap file set to something like a 2 gig max.. there isnt much point.. if you think an extra 2 gigs of super slow pretend ram will do you any good.. buy some more of the real stuff.. its pretty cheap now.. :)

trog

ps.. its worth noting that windows sets aside reserved hard drive space for its pretend ram because its quicker than if it had to create the drive space on the spot.. let windows do its "virtual memory" by all means if you feel the need.. just make sure it never has to f-cking use it.. he he

Last edited: