• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium vs Titanium Pro

$

$immond$

Alright so I just purchased a pretty basic home theatre system for my gaming rig (Samsung HTC550) and I am not impressed with my onboard sound. My motherboard uses a VIA chip but "emulates" X-Fi. :laugh:

I am needing a PCI-E sound card for my system with SPDIF out. I have narrowed it down to either the X-Fi titanium or the titanium pro.

I am not really sure about the difference between the 2 cards other than the shroud with a white LED light.

not sure if it is worth the extra $50 on newegg. Can someone explain the differences between these 2 cards? any advise/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I am not really sure about the difference between the 2 cards other than the shroud with a white LED light.

Pretty much answerd your own question right there boss.

the 'shroud' is actually an EMI shield that protects the hardware from all the other frequencies inside the case that might interfear with soundcard.

secondly...

a Xonar DX is pretty bad ass card and has been the card of choice for many users over the creative card. and its also a little cheaper. well worth having a look at.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Alright so I just purchased a pretty basic home theatre system for my gaming rig (Samsung HTC550) and I am not impressed with my onboard sound. My motherboard uses a VIA chip but "emulates" X-Fi. :laugh:

I am needing a PCI-E sound card for my system with SPDIF out. I have narrowed it down to either the X-Fi titanium or the titanium pro.

not sure if it is worth the extra $50 on newegg. Can someone explain the differences between these 2 cards? any advise/reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

You're going to have to be more specific about your needs. SPDIF out generally sounds the same if bit-streamed from a DVD regardless of soundcard.

As far as the differences between the the Titanium and Pro Fatal1ty I couldnt find anything other than SNR differences. Definitely not worth extra for the Pro.

The two above mention cards have Dolby encoding but not DTS encoding, so I wouldn't buy either for that reason. But it comes down to what you want in a soundcard.

$

$immond$

I need an optical out on the sound card for my sound system and it has to use PCE-e.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I've got the X-Fi ExtremeMusic and it's an awesome card. It wasn't very expensive and I can recommend it. However, it's been discontinued some time ago, so will be hard to find. :ohwell:

The ExtremeGamer version is almost the same, but uses cheaper components, so should sound about the same and this is still available I believe.

If you can get one of these cards, then you won't need to splash out on the Titanium card.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
the Xtreme gamer has Digital out Via TOSlink. (i take it the Xonars werent too your taste :ohwell:)

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
I have the X-fi Titanium and i love it. And i did a little research when i bought my card, because i wanted to know the same as you, and the only differences i've found between the Titanium and the Titanium Fatality pro are: the shroud with the led, and that the fatality pro uses 64mb onboard memory to speed up EAX effects. My 2 cents about this: my card don't have the shroud and i don't hear anything wrong with the sound, and about the 64mb memory: it only works with so few games (and old, like DOOM 3) that's not worth it, I have EAX enable (if supported by the game, like killing floor and STALKER) and i don't feel like i need those 64mb. Keep in mind that EAX was designed during Pentium 4 era. 64mb won't speed much with 4gb of ram and a quad.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
the fatality pro uses 64mb onboard memory to speed up EAX effects. My 2 cents about this: my card don't have the shroud and i don't hear anything wrong with the sound, and about the 64mb memory: it only works with so few games (and old, like DOOM 3) that's not worth it, I have EAX enable (if supported by the game, like killing floor and STALKER) and i don't feel like i need those 64mb. Keep in mind that EAX was designed during Pentium 4 era. 64mb won't speed much with 4gb of ram and a quad.

Wrong and wrong,

the 64Mb doesnt 'speed up' EAX. It just acts as a dedicated buffer for sound effects - a feature that was more of a marketting gimmick then anything else and to rub more salt in the wound, it rarely saw use. only a few games supported the feature. and just because you turned on EAX in the sound options doesnt mean the 64mb will get used. the only games which made use of the 64mb was BF2 when you set the sound option to XF-i Ultra or something like that but tbh it did hardly anything at all or at least i noticed no difference at all going from an Audigy 2 ZS to a Xtreme Music to a Titanium Fatality Pro. and as further proof of the usless the 64mb is, I can enable XFi-Ultra mode on BF2 with any Xonar card ive come across and the game has played perfectly fine with no problems what so ever.

the onboard ram was never really required.

Due to changes made to Directsound in Vista, EAX has been dead for a very long time. there probably wont be another new game that supports it for a long time to come. so everything is now based on a wrapper inbetween the soundcard and the OS that 'emulates' EAX, otherwise known as Creative Alchemy. Xear3d or DS3D GX. all of which makes getting a soundcard that natively supports EAX pointless.

And thats why Asus Xonar soundcards are so popular. as they generally sound better, made of better components. and a little cheaper.

If EAX was still around. XF-i cards would no doubt still be the most popular range of cards.

$

$immond$

Wrong and wrong,

the 64Mb doesnt 'speed up' EAX. It just acts as a dedicated buffer for sound effects - a feature that was more of a marketting gimmick then anything else and to rub more salt in the wound, it rarely saw use. only a few games supported the feature. and just because you turned on EAX in the sound options doesnt mean the 64mb will get used. the only games which made use of the 64mb was BF2 when you set the sound option to XF-i Ultra or something like that but tbh it did hardly anything at all or at least i noticed no difference at all going from an Audigy 2 ZS to a Xtreme Music to a Titanium Fatality Pro. and as further proof of the usless the 64mb is, I can enable XFi-Ultra mode on BF2 with any Xonar card ive come across and the game has played perfectly fine with no problems what so ever.

the onboard ram was never really required.

Due to changes made to Directsound in Vista, EAX has been dead for a very long time. there probably wont be another new game that supports it for a long time to come. so everything is now based on a wrapper inbetween the soundcard and the OS that 'emulates' EAX, otherwise known as Creative Alchemy. Xear3d or DS3D GX. all of which makes getting a soundcard that natively supports EAX pointless.

And thats why Asus Xonar soundcards are so popular. as they generally sound better, made of better components. and a little cheaper.

If EAX was still around. XF-i cards would no doubt still be the most popular range of cards.

Makes wonder why Asus doesnt include Xonar cards in the higher end Motherboards. ahem.. Crosshair and Rampage Extreme...
I managed to track down the Titanium Pro for $99 CAD so I am happy with it.

TBH I would rather own a Xonar Essence STX but I cant afford $200 for a sound card at the moment.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
It's not about EAX, it's about Open Al which is used in many games. A X-Fi based card offloads open Al and in the case of xram cards the ram is utilized but I don't know to what effect.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Makes wonder why Asus doesnt include Xonar cards in the higher end Motherboards. ahem.. Crosshair and Rampage Extreme...
I managed to track down the Titanium Pro for $99 CAD so I am happy with it.

TBH I would rather own a Xonar Essence STX but I cant afford $200 for a sound card at the moment.

they are paid by creative to release Asus boards with Creative cards of course.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
It's not about EAX, it's about Open Al which is used in many games. A X-Fi based card offloads open Al and in the case of xram cards the ram is utilized but I don't know to what effect.

Most of the other cards on the market support Open AL too.

Also, xram does nothing on modern systems. A little bit of slow 64MB buffer isnt going to make a difference on today's midrange gaming systems which boast 4GB+ of ram and 4+ cores.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I need an optical out on the sound card for my sound system and it has to use PCE-e.

id you're running optical, these gamer cards are worthless. none of the fancy equipment they have affects sound quality at all on digital connections, with the exception of encoding techniques like converting analogue signals to digital formats such as dolby digital or DTS - and my onboard can do that.

if you're running optical for SPDIF, you need to really rethink getting these high end cards.

$

$immond$

Then I might as well think of dropping 10k in high end audio equipment as well. This can become an endless loop. I managed to get the X-fi titanium Pro for $99 CAD. I don't think you can beat the price to quality ratio at this range. As for the 64MB X-RAM it will be probably be completely useless to me but the card will be better than my onboard VIA with crappy emulation. I didn't buy the card for the X-Ram, I bought it because it was on sale and I am familiar with the sound quality with creative cards. My surround sound system (Samsung HT-C550) I also managed to get for $99 CAD, it lacks an equalizer and a lot of features but my sound card should suffice for it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
$99 aint that bad, not like you blew $300.

since it has dolby digital/DTS encoding, you also get features the most basic cards do not have, over SPDIF/optical

$

$immond$

$99 aint that bad, not like you blew $300.

since it has dolby digital/DTS encoding, you also get features the most basic cards do not have, over SPDIF/optical

I was really considering getting the Xonar STX but for the same price I got a decent sound system and decent card. Its not the greatest of quality but it definately beats what I had before from a long shot.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Most of the other cards on the market support Open AL too.

Also, xram does nothing on modern systems. A little bit of slow 64MB buffer isnt going to make a difference on today's midrange gaming systems which boast 4GB+ of ram and 4+ cores.

You're right that xram doesn't do anything noticeable. I'm just saying it does something. Back when it was causing crashes in UT3 the cards without xram were actually the better buy as they didn't crash but gave the same audio quality. I don't think Open Al performance is really equal across all brands though. I've heard many times that HT omega cards sound like crap for gaming due to poor or no Open Al support.

ADI Soundmax has the best OpenAL support out of all 3rd party OEM's. Add the excellent BlackHawk features by SonicFocus and i think it's by far one of the best onboard soundcards. I'm just using it instead of X-Fi Forte because i have to rearrange the cards in PCIe slots and i am just amazed.

after many many years and cards, my XFI Ti is the first Creative card that is not Destructive.

Note: I use analog 5.1 output to analogue Logitech 5.1 system (cant remember part name, purchase was 4 years ago. It is more than I can use in an apartment building)

Last edited:
System Name My baby
I don't think Open Al performance is really equal across all brands though. I've heard many times that HT omega cards sound like crap for gaming due to poor or no Open Al support.
The HT Omega supports OpenAL.

I would think that with OpenAL being open source there shouldnt be any bias between two different branded soundcards using the OpenAL API, unless coded in a brand bias way which defeats the purpose of switching to OpenAL.

IMO, I think people complain about the HT Omega for gaming for other reasons, unlike creative soundcard it doesn’t come equipped with loads of dodgy equalisers, crystallisers and enhancements turn on by default hence people say gaming sounds flat compared to Creative’s artificial sounds.

Also,a lot of these guys are running crappy headsets or cheap Logitech speakers @ 5W per channel and then complain about the sound quality. A high end soundcard like the Omega deserves a nice Home Cinema setting.

System Name Late 2013 rMBP 13'' w/ 250 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell P2416D @ 2560x1440 & Dell U2211H @ 1920x1080
Audio Device(s) NuForce uDAC-2 w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 & Sennheiser HD595
Mouse Logitech G400 @ 1600 DPI
Keyboard Razr Black Widow
Software OS X
id you're running optical, these gamer cards are worthless. none of the fancy equipment they have affects sound quality at all on digital connections, with the exception of encoding techniques like converting analogue signals to digital formats such as dolby digital or DTS - and my onboard can do that.

if you're running optical for SPDIF, you need to really rethink getting these high end cards.

Yes, I second this. What is really going to matter are the DAC's in the Samsung receiver you are running digital audio to. If you run digital audio to your Samsung receiver the whole DAC process is done by it.

$immond$, I'm betting the DAC's on your X-Fi Titanium Pro are much better than in your receiver, although I'm not 100% sure though :p

I'd ask you to try the analogue outputs on your new lovely X-Fi Titanium Pro to use its DAC's but I don't think it's possible with your current audio setup. :cry:

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
If I can get with shipping and all,
1. X-Fi Titanium (used) $94
2. X-Fi Titanium Professional (used) $118
3. Xonar DX (new) $119 - yes I know, it is not supposed to be this expensive, but it is over here.
4. X-Fi Forte (new) $153
which should I get to go with a Roccat Kave?

System Name Late 2013 rMBP 13'' w/ 250 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell P2416D @ 2560x1440 & Dell U2211H @ 1920x1080
Audio Device(s) NuForce uDAC-2 w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 & Sennheiser HD595
Mouse Logitech G400 @ 1600 DPI
Keyboard Razr Black Widow
Software OS X
If I can get with shipping and all,
1. X-Fi Titanium (used) $94
2. X-Fi Titanium Professional (used) $118
3. Xonar DX (new) $119 - yes I know, it is not supposed to be this expensive, but it is over here.
4. X-Fi Forte (new) $153
which should I get to go with a Roccat Kave?

I vote for the Auzen X-Fi Forte, you won't regret it. It includes an independent 3.5mm (1/8”) headphone amp and can drive any headset with impedance from 16Ω ~ 600Ω perfect. It includes a breakout cable for analog I/O, and of course it has digital connections if you have a high end receiver with better DACs (the card supports DTS Neo:pC & DTS, Dolby Digital Live, blah blah blah Dolby).

The card allows you to replace the OPAMP for the front L/R channel too without having to desolder and resolder.