• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound card - Is it worth it? (also new speaker suggestions)

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
Hi Guys,

So I am planning my new PC build, it's going to be a full build from scratch, in the past I've always ignored audio and gone with on board, I think I haven't bothered with Sound cards since the days of Soundblaster Live/Audigy

Are Sound cards worth it? do they offer better audio than onboard? I'm happy spending a few hundred on a sound card if I will provide better audio

Secondly, new speakers? I need some with my new build so suggestions on the best to get would be appreciative.

Budget is £400 for the combined speaker/sound card? can stretch to more if needed.

Thanks friends. (PS. it is used for both gaming and music but I do not consider myself an audiophile)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
As someone who's owned legendary sound cards such as the Auzentech X-Meridian, SB XFi Xtreme Music, AudigyZ, etc., among several others throughout the 90s and 00s, I must admit that today's high-end motherboards have really caught up with ~£100-150 sound cards. Among motherboard vendors, GIGABYTE takes its onboard audio solutions most seriously. See if you can spend the extra £100 on a high-end GIGABYTE motherboard over what you originally planned, which comes with ESS Sabre DACs driving the main front channel, ALC1220VB pulling the other channels, user-replaceable OPAMPs, and pretty decent WIMA capacitors, EMI shielding, etc. I've built a machine with one of those boards, and they sound seriously good.

System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
Get the good speakers first, if you are pleased by the sound stop right there.Warning : there is a serious risk that you might become an " audiophile " somebody who constantly searches for the next hit, a new rush, splurging money on huge speakers, gold plated HDMI cable, 99.99% pure silver cables and 24 bit, 192 Khz Hi-definition sound.

Get the good speakers first, if you are pleased by the sound stop right there.Warning : there is a serious risk that you might become an " audiophile " somebody who constantly searches for the next hit, a new rush, splurging money on huge speakers, gold plated HDMI cable, 99.99% pure silver cables and 24 bit, 192 Khz Hi-definition sound.
To be fair, there is an opposite extreme to this.

Don't become someone that sees no value in well built and designed equipment solely because they're unable to tell the difference between quality and snakeoil. Of course PWB Electronics, Machina Dynamica and Black Ravioli are scams - But that doesn't mean a Schiit headphone amp or a set of nice Yamaha HS50's is a waste of money - or even extremely high end speakers, like Definitive Technology Mythos

To OP - BTW, What kind of room is this going in? If you have a lot of soft furnishings and a big space then you're pretty good for using speakers, but if you have hardwood floors, lots of reflective surfaces etc, then you'll likely find that speakers end up hamstrung, no matter how good they are, because of the amount of sound bouncing off of the rest of the room and fucking with you. If that's the case, I'd suggest that headphones are a much better idea than speakers

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I wouldn't bother with any sound cards. It's a waste of cash that could go elsewhere

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
From what I understand;

- If you're purely gaming then focus on gear that will give you the best soundstage for better positional and more immersive atmospheric audio, this is where "gaming" sound cards may come in handy for virtual surround features and gaming specific features like the ASUS Sonic Radar Pro

- If you love to listen to music and just want good sound quality in general without a care for surround then External DAC (so that you don't ever have to buy one again) + Decent set of cans.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It’s a subjective answer you are getting from whichever side as to whether soundcards are worth it.

I think high end sound cards are worth it and still hold the edge, and always use them. Just like some people say they can see the difference in frame rates and some can’t, the same thing applies to the richness and fidelity and boost levels of sound for some people hearing the difference.

Ultimately only you can decide if they are worth it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
As someone who's owned legendary sound cards such as the Auzentech X-Meridian, SB XFi Xtreme Music, AudigyZ, etc., among several others throughout the 90s and 00s, I must admit that today's high-end motherboards have really caught up with ~£100-150 sound cards. Among motherboard vendors, GIGABYTE takes its onboard audio solutions most seriously. See if you can spend the extra £100 on a high-end GIGABYTE motherboard over what you originally planned, which comes with ESS Sabre DACs driving the main front channel, ALC1220VB pulling the other channels, user-replaceable OPAMPs, and pretty decent WIMA capacitors, EMI shielding, etc. I've built a machine with one of those boards, and they sound seriously good.

That may do that but their bios sucks

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Providing you already have a good set of bookshelf speakers and headphones... get the Soundblaster X7. A lot of people down at headhifi praise this device

You can connect to it via USB like a USB soundcard and it can power speakers between 4-8ohms and you can even add a subwoofer to make it 2.1 if you wanted to.

On the other hand buy the cheapest Creative Sound blaster card you can with optical out that supports Dolby Digital Live and cruise ebay for AV Receivers that fit your within your price range. Yamaha, Pioneer, Dennon, Onkyo (though maybe not so much Onkyo) will bring movies and gaming to life - I already had a creative soundcard and bookshelf speakers so bought a pre-owned yamaha AVR for £100 a subwoofer for £160 though i bought that new from amazon as i couldnt be bothered to wait for good deals to pop up on ebay... Look to spending about £80 for a subwoofer... Factor in about £20-30 for cabling if you dont have it and youre golden.

^This is if you want to stick with 5.1 surround sound though... I already had 4 bookshelf speakers and the sound card so it wasnt a huge expense to go the route that i did. I used to have a set of Logitech Z5500s and my current setup totally destroys them.

2.1 is still good for movies and gaming though. or watch movies in 2.1 and game on headphones.

There are so many combinations to get your perfect setup

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
As someone who still uses a dedicated sound card, I see the value when doing a full system upgrade of paying that bit extra for a motherboard with a decent sound chip only today you don't really need to spend more. My first though a few years back would have been to buy what I needed in terms of a motherboard in the budget/mid price range that also has decent overclocking abilities and if it comes with a lower end sound chip like an ALC887 then what the hell, buy a reasonable dedicated sound card if I felt I needed to, however today, with what's available in just mid ranged boards in terms of sound it just no longer makes sense, there are so many decently priced boards out there now with good sound, I mean, in the UK you can get a £100 motherboard with Realtek's ALC1220 for both Intel and AMD sockets, it's a no lose situation unless of course you are an audiophile where possible sound is the number 1 reason for buying a particular board.

Providing you already have a good set of bookshelf speakers and headphones... get the Soundblaster X7. A lot of people down at headhifi praise this device
Bear in mind that there are also people on Head-Fi that think they can hear the difference between WAV and FLAC, so maybe don't take their opinions too seriously.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Bear in mind that there are also people on Head-Fi that think they can hear the difference between WAV and FLAC, so maybe don't take their opinions too seriously.

external reviews are also very favorable

external reviews are also very favorable
And I'm not saying these products are bad, just to be wary of audio reviews in general.

I listen to everything through a pair of Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2s, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and a Denon AVR3802. Headphones I have are AKG K550 and Grado SR80.

I've auditioned systems costing 5 or so times this much, into the ten figures. There's definitely an improvement to be had.

But when it comes to reviews of audio equipment there's definitely one key factor that people fail to take into account - of course it has good reviews. Because EVERYTHING has good reviews in audio. Magazines are bought and paid for by the industry to sell product, and forums are full to bursting with either shills or the outright deluded.

There's definitely better and worse gear out there, but buyer beware - always try your hardest to sift through the bullshit and compare multiple options.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
And I'm not saying these products are bad, just to be wary of audio reviews in general.

I listen to everything through a pair of Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2s, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and a Denon AVR3802. Headphones I have are AKG K550 and Grado SR80.

I've auditioned systems costing 5 or so times this much, into the ten figures. There's definitely an improvement to be had.

But when it comes to reviews of audio equipment there's definitely one key factor that people fail to take into account - of course it has good reviews. Because EVERYTHING has good reviews in audio. Magazines are bought and paid for by the industry to sell product, and forums are full to bursting with either shills or the outright deluded.

There's definitely better and worse gear out there, but buyer beware - always try your hardest to sift through the bullshit and compare multiple options.

I never take their opinions to heart but i want to see how a review sites review matches up with peoples opinions on headhifi just to find out more about the device itself. Everyone's hearing is different and personal preference to audio are different and where else better in the internet to go then a forum full of audio snobs? :p

I never take their opinions to heart but i want to see how a review sites review matches up with peoples opinions on headhifi just to find out more about the device itself. Everyone's hearing is different and personal preference to audio are different and where else better in the internet to go then a forum full of audio snobs? :p
I would argue "Almost anywhere else" because I find those people utterly insufferable - but in particular, the answer is "music production or musicians forums" - they still come with their share of hokum and witchcraft peddlers (just like tech forums do, despite the clear evidence tech sites provide for us to analyse) but there's definitely a much higher signal to noise ratio amongst people who are trying to produce music for other people to hear, than there is amongst people who are just trying to brag to each other about why their system is better, or justify whatever their latest purchase is.

Edit - there's also a much lower chance of people advising things based solely on their own preferences rather than your needs. On regular forums there are always those idiots who just want to hype the awful bass-heavy monster cans or subs they use to shake their house with trap beats. On a musicians forum, most people are after neutral sounding reference speakers or studio headphones that will help them translate their mix as accurately as possible over all possible speaker systems their audience might plat the music on. This invariably results in much less skewed and more realistic assessments of how things should sound in order to give the best reproduction of the original recordings a person is listening to.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So I am planning my new PC build, it's going to be a full build from scratch
We know.. this is like the 5th thread on your build. Didn't the staff already combine a couple of your threads here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/time-for-a-new-build-go-big-or-go-home.250119/

Didn't read anything but the first post....

Try out integrated audio before you go investing in anything else. In order to get the most out of any discrete sound card, you need solid speakers/cans as well.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
We know.. this is like the 5th thread on your build. :p

Didn't read anything but the first post....

Try out integrated audio before you go investing in anything else. In order to get the most out of any discrete sound card, you need solid speakers/cans as well.

I run game sound through a card and Headset com through isj

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
I have the ASUS Audigy DGX paired with Edifier 2000RB and the Logitech Z906 and I can say I am really happy with this combination, the integrated soundcard on my MB is trash

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
A system isnt a system without a decent sound card.

I use a stereo receiver with 4 bookshelf speakers.

Sound card is an sb x-fi.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
External DACs and audio interfaces would like a word with you.

DACs and such are external sound cards basically. I said decent not internal. So statement can still apply.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
I currently have a 7.1 receiver connected to my PC over optical. I have some Yamaha speakers connected to that. So I guess that means I have an external DAC.

Before that, I only used onboard audio and some Bose MediaMate speakers. I think the Bose Companion series are pretty much identical to those.

Last edited: