• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Card vs. onboard

rectifryer

Very true. Some audio cards also use the CPU to decode audio. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but I kid you not, when I installed my card, I could've sworn I lost 5 to 10 FPS ( roughly 60 to 50)!

From my research, its probably just the difference between the drivers. But if you can't use good drivers with the onboard audio, then the card is better anyways.

I have only looked into latency. Soundblaster has had their drivers specialized for DX for lower latency. Its hard to explain, but the lower latency <10ms helps with the realism of the games . I dont really care about that so much as recording. I would never use soundblaster anything for recording no matter its latency.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The biggest advantage for sound cards is the audio processing is isolated better from other noisy components compared to onboard audio.

The ASUS Maximus V Gene says hello:

There are red LEDs iluminating the PCB itself, showing how it is isolated...

It's very nearly completely electrically seperated. However, the board i just tested, which is not this V Gene, is BETTER, and it's not isolated at all...

I mean, sure this has been an issue in the past, and can be an issues now with some products, and even Creative moaned about noise on the PCIe bus, and gave that noise as a reason for not releasing a PCIe add-on card...and then they eventually released a PCIe card.

So what changed Creative's stance?

Perhaps a change in CODEC design prevented this from being an issue? And perhaps this same change could be added to onboard solutions as well?

And likewise, they said that noise was an issue for an add-in card.

ASUS Xonar D2X has a PCIe bridge chip that features error correction, which also removes noise...and it sounds BETTER than the PCI variant of the same audio card...

In the end, it's just not quite as cut and dry as it used to be, and issues that affected things in the past, aren't so much of an issue today.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
For CL- its either get with the program or become defunct as a company: CL was just trying to control the Audio market considering during the 90s they were the defacto- now You have Asus, Auzentec (Pre CL DSP) HT Omega, BGears (Blue Gears) amongst others- EAX is rarely used anymore aswell

You notice it was the same thing when it was stated PEG is to Replace AGP- Both Nvidia and AMD (ATI at the time) Moved their top boards to PCI E- now both companies entire lineups are that way.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/Maximus_V_Gene/images/audio_led_on_small.jpg

It's very nearly completely electrically seperated. However, the board i just tested, which is not this V Gene, is BETTER, and it's not isolated at all...

I mean, sure this has been an issue in the past, and can be an issues now with some products, and eve nCreative moaned about noise on the PCIe bus, and gave that noise as a reason for not releasing a PCIe add-on card...and then they eventually released a PCIe card.

Perhaps a change in CODEC design prevented this from being an issue?

And liekwise, they said that noise was an issue for an add-in card.

ASUS Xonar D2X has a PCIe bridge chip that features error correction, which also removes noise...and it sound BETTER than the PCI variant of the same audio card...

In the end, it's just not quite as cut and dry as it used to be, and issues that affected things in the past, aren't so much of an issue today.

rectifryer

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/Maximus_V_Gene/images/audio_led_on_small.jpg

I mean, sure this has been an issue in the past, and can be an issues now with some products, and even Creative moaned about noise on the PCIe bus, and gave that noise as a reason for not releasing a PCIe add-on card...and then they eventually released a PCIe card.

Perhaps a change in CODEC design prevented this from being an issue? And perhaps this same change could be added to onboard solutions as well?

And likewise, they said that noise was an issue for an add-in card.

ASUS Xonar D2X has a PCIe bridge chip that features error correction, which also removes noise...and it sounds BETTER than the PCI variant of the same audio card...

You seem to have experience with this. What is your process for testing these matters? How can I bench the noise and latency of an audio card?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You seem to have experience with this. What is your process for testing these matters? How can I bench the noise and latency of an audio card?

Noise is Electrical Noise- aka Electro Magnetic Interference

it varies from board to board.

The most common EMI ive encountered with Onboard audio is moving a mouse around- you can hear a change in tone of the audio whenever a mouse was being moved or a lil whine noise. Ive heard Optical drives spinning up causing that too. Customer machines that came to me complaining of hearing odd noise from their audio port, Id put a card in and problem solved.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml

noise.png

I kinda use my ears and other stuff too. ;)

eidairaman1 said:
The most common EMI ive encountered with Onboard audio is moving a mouse around- you can hear a change in tone of the audio whenever a mouse was being moved or a lil whine noise. Ive heard Optical drives spinning up causing that too. Customer machines that came to me complaining of hearing odd noise from their audio port, Id put a card in and problem solved.

Sure, common ground shared with the port the mouse plugs into, and still an issue with some products. There's a tonne of noise my current board puts out...the onboard audio doesn't pick it up, but my guitar sure does!:laugh:

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Are you sure about that, because with the Essence ST/STX it's the exact opposite. The STX (PCI-e) version worse than the ST due to the clock/crystal and replacing it with something like Vanguard 0.3ppm TCXO resulted in much better sound for some people.
However it could be different with the D2X

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
sounds like a issue elsewhere, because when you have a card installed it offloads the audio processing from the CPU to the Sound card so that the CPU can handle other tasks.

In theory, but it's not always true. I had higher CPU usage on my old X-fi Forte than I do today using my video cards built in audio.

Also I noticed the most CPU activity with dedicated cards when encoding Dolby Digital Live in real time.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
for my experience with 2 sound cards, bring a sound cards depends from what is your budget and what you need,i have use a 5.1 soundcard from trust and an external 5.1 from creative and the difference when you use headphone with sound card intregrated and extal depends from the drivers , my actual headphone are usb , the external audio use jack to jack cable to a kenwood amplifire and 2 very big kenwood stereo speakers for use audio from hdmi ,for my 5.1 on pc i use the realtek integrated with realtek hd drivers and with this 5.1 home cinema from bluesky ,the difference to me is the system , good external amplifire or good 5.1 system (for use this 5.1 i have bring 3 jack to rca cables ) , if you have to use powerfull headphone ,bring a soundcard ,if you have to bring a system ,if the motherboard is good ,integrated audio is good as well buts its all your choice xd