1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sounds like i have coil whine, only new hardware is my active speakers

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by gasolin, Dec 30, 2013.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Got my self some krk rokit powered 5 g3 (have had the krk rokit powered 5 g2 just over 1 year, then dali speakers, i now use for my tv and tommorow i would have had my yamaha hs 8 for 7 month, only had to get a new pair of krk g2 and then all of my speakers worked fine)

I have a Msi Z77 thunderbolt, i5 3570k, asus hd 7970 Dcuii Top, 2x4 gb skill trident x 2400mhz xcl 10 ram,a seasonic g-650 psu, soundcard presonus 22vsl and a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor.

I have some kind of coil whine, high pitched sound from my speakers that i never had before trying to play games, exit the game or turn off the power to my speakers, the sound goes away, only notice it when i want to play games.

Using dvi cable, using dp to hdmi cable adapter with a good hdmi cable, change dvi port and i still have something that sounds like coil whine, using my igp i have no high pitched sound,coil whine (but using a i5 3570k for games i can't recommend)

My speakers are so new that i can get my money back or exchange them to something else.

What would you recommend med to do?

If i gonna buy a used gpu (my asus hd 7970 is only a few month old) i wouldn't wanna spend more on what a used gtx 670/760 costs (mabye a second one later) , but they are not as good as a hd 7970 ghz and exchange,sell my card with something that sounds like coil whine (even when it's only with my current speakers i have this problem) i might not be able to get what i want for my hd 7970, wouldn't be fair to sell it without telling about the high pitched sound.

Just got skyrim very cheap and want to play it, but i can't because of this anoying high pitched sound :(

What would you recommend me to do?

I live in denmark and have bought my gpu from caseking.de, i don't think i can rma it because of age, price is also high sending it to casking with track and trace (with insurence) about 30-40€ , if they can't hear anything i have spend money for nothing, do they send it back to me for free?

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    How do they behave when connected to other sources?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Tried to play a little power manga on my duo2core laptop with a gtx 9650m and it sounded like there was no high pitched sound, the same i noticed when i use my igp instead of my hd 7970. Also like the sound of the krk's and because i don't have a car, i just can't easily exchange them to another pair that might work fine.

Gonna try a gtx 8600 gt (as i remember it only uses power from the pci x lane) to see if a different gpu gives me the same problems

4. Baum

Baum

Thanks Received:
    mh all your usb stuff is disconnected, just to be sure like no ground loop through an usb hub/power adapter to that.

the 8600GT should be fine for testing but if you use onboard sound... why not buy an older soundcard that is pci or pci-e for good sound?

I had that with an asrock board, bios update solved that, on another pc it was a fan cable beeing not fully isolated to the cassis ;-P

It's sad to hear that.. speakers are these? http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-5.html

if yes use headphones an determine if the audio signal is clean (source is clean right)

Hope you get it sorted

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. gasolin

Thanks Received:
  6. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Those crapit speakers are famous of doing so! Failure of an amp design... throw them out either use external sound card... there is nothing you can do.

Oh you are using external one? Then you need to mod your XLR cable... cut the earth grounding on one side of the cable, it is a common practice.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/groundlift.html

Usually the amplifier has this filter network inside the amp itself in between connectors and ground... krk seems to have hands growing out their arses in this case, total disrespect from me. I had many complaints about this maker, exactly because of HUMMM issues.

There could be one more cheat... use a power extender without grounding or some sort of adapter..., you got the picture... lift the speaker or other possible device that picks up the radio distortion, as those speakers are very sensitive to it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Never had problems with my old krkr rokit powered 5 g2 with a hifi creative usb soundcard and normal (non) balanced cable

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Tried turning on vsync ?

9. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    yes no difference

10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like you have interference between sound devices causing the whine.

11. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Presonus 22vsl balanced usb soundcard with xlr trs cable

Using my onboard soundcard (on the mb) i have noise,crackling nosie,sound all the time.

If my speakers aren't do for a rma, they should be able to be used for games with no other sound, then form the game itself.

Just with my yamaha hs 8 i didn't have any problems, problems with a pc can be non existing one day and the next day it won't start,bsod,ram problems or something else

My speakers are bought last freday, cpu is new, mb is only 2 month old,monitor is new,ram is new gpu less then 3 month,my psu (seasonic g-650) is bought used, it's less then 15 month old (my pc is on all day so my psu is being used alot), could be alot of things

(using my onboard soundcard, with my usb soundcard the sound is about the same when i try to play games)
    http://www.4shared.com/video/s-Fayexg/VID_20140101_145228.html

12. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Why in gods name are you using a usb sound card?

Disable your onboard sound in the bios if you are going to use the usb thing. You are getting interference.

13. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have disabled my onboard soundcard.

Have nothing against usb soundcards

Blue-Knight says thanks.
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Other than most of them really suck?

15. CowboyFromHell

Thanks Received:
    He's into audio recording you clown. If you dont know what you are talking about please dont post. (90% of audio interfaces in the audio production world are USB.

ste2425 and INSTG8R say thanks.
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    ^^^LOL

:p

17. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Using my 8600gt that card has coil whine from the fan or something else, but nothing that sounds coil whine coming out of my speakers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  18. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Have you disabled the audio device on the Radeon card as well as the onboard audio? unless you use hdmi you probably don't require it to be active.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is disabled, just not 100% shure it's not my psu beacuse a 8600gt only use power from the pci lane and therfore not at all draws as much power from my psu as my hd 7970 does

So fare no high pitched sound using my igp (i5 3570k) and my 8600 gt but on the other hand none of them is making my psu sweat max 100 watt from my cpu/8600 gt isn't enough to tell if my psu have problem with high loads

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014