• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sounds?

Arel3

- I love this program! It rocks!
However...mine keeps making noises and I can not find any descriptions anywhere that tell me what each alarm sound means. Is there an article or documentation somewhere that would tell me so I know what the heck it's warning me about with each sound?

I've heard it make a knocking sound, beep twice and I forget what else.
I can't figure out why it's doing that because I'm running a Q6600 and it's highest temp is 46c on any of the cores. At this moment core 0 and 1 are 32c and the last 2 cores are at 28c but it's been beeping at me twice every once in a while. The load isn't bad because I've never seen it over 30%. I haven't checked it while gaming or rendering or compiling processes, I'm sure there's times it goes higher than that, but I haven't actually seen it.

Those are great temps! This machine is custom built, by me, so I'm quite proud of how cool it runs. My gpu is usually between 20 and 38.

Can someone tell me what each alarm sound is trying to tell me, or link me to somewhere that does? Much appreciated!

I'm work as a computer technician with multiple contracts including Fastteks, Geek Squad, Dell, and HP (36 contracts all together) so if the descriptions require advanced technical terms...no need to tone them down.

I recommend Real Temp to everyone and usually install it on all of my clients computers that don't have Core Center or some other utility that monitors temperature and load. So I'd really like to know as much as I can about it. Documentation please!

Last edited by a moderator:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you go into the RealTemp settings window and uncheck the Alarm Temperatures box then RealTemp shouldn't be making any noise at all. If this box is unchecked and your computer is beeping then you best look for another source.

If you want to use the alarm feature then set the alarm temperatures to a high value so they are not constantly being triggered. If they are constantly being triggered then you might have a sensor problem so you won't be able to use this feature. Let me know what you find out.

Last edited:

Arel3

Why would anyone use this type of software if they didn't use the alarms feature?
That would be pretty backwards.

Can't you just tell me what each sound is warning me about?

What does the knocking sound mean?
What does the double beep mean?

It's not the sensors, unless that's what these sounds are telling me about.

I'm not bothered by the noises, I'm happy they're there and want them ON.
But I have no clue what some of the noises are trying to tell me.

Please just tell us what the sounds mean. I'm sure other people experiencing these sounds are just as lost as I am as to what they mean. Without documentation or a description how is anyone supposed to know?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Why would anyone use this type of software if they didn't use the alarms feature?That would be pretty backwards.

if you know your machine is stable, have a readout, have it in the systray, etc - no need for an alarm....

i would be SURPRISED if the majority of people actually turned the alarm on. what are you doing that your machine could go to danger levels at any time without you knowing, that you need an alarm to let you know? just sayin ;)

unclewebb

RealTemp is only capable of making one noise. If you are hearing knocking sounds and double beeps then it must be some other program doing that or else you might need your ears checked. :)

If you go into the RealTemp folder and open up the RTWarning.wav file then you can here the sound RealTemp will make when the alarm goes off. CompuTronix over on Tom's Hardware was kind enough to donate that Star Trekky sound so if you don't like it, blame him. Better yet, you can substitute any sound you like. Just rename your sound RTWarning.wav and make sure it is less than 5 seconds in length.

Make sure you downloaded RealTemp 3.60 from TechPowerUp to make sure it is authentic and no one has been screwing with your sound files.

Arel3

RealTemp is only capable of making one noise. If you are hearing knocking sounds and double beeps then it must be some other program doing that or else you might need your ears checked. :)

If you go into the RealTemp folder and open up the RTWarning.wav file then you can here the sound RealTemp will make when the alarm goes off. CompuTronix over on Tom's Hardware was kind enough to donate that Star Trekky sound so if you don't like it, blame him. Better yet, you can substitute any sound you like. Just rename your sound RTWarning.wav and make sure it is less than 5 seconds in length.

Make sure you downloaded RealTemp 3.60 from TechPowerUp to make sure it is authentic and no one has been screwing with your sound files.

I just figured that out myself because I looked in to it after the first reply.
It's weird, I have even taken my processes down to the absolute minimum and left only windows required tasks and RealTemp running (15 processes total) and the sounds were still present. Again when I shut RT down the sounds stopped. So it's definitely coming from RealTemp.

Are you 100% positive that's the only sound RealTemp makes? Others could be embedded in the exe...are you sure there's absolutely no other sounds?

Yes it's 3.60 and TechPowerUp is where I got it from.

Which one of you fine people actually built this program? Perhaps they would know.

They are not the motherboard beeps and the knock I hear sometimes is a wav-like sound file, it's not a physical part of the computer making the noise it's coming through speakers/headset.

If nobody can tell me...I guess I'm on my own and I will eventually figure it out.
If it turns out to not be your software I will apologize and let you know what's doing it.
But like I said it kind of has to be RealTemp because I've shut absolutely everything else down one by one and the only thing that stopped them was shutting RT down.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA

Arel3

if you know your machine is stable, have a readout, have it in the systray, etc - no need for an alarm....

i would be SURPRISED if the majority of people actually turned the alarm on. what are you doing that your machine could go to danger levels at any time without you knowing, that you need an alarm to let you know? just sayin ;)

I have an Antec Case with a 200mm fan on the top of the case. I have multiple monitors (6) and one of them fell one night landing on top of the case and it broke a blade off of the fan. I can not find the exact fan to replace it (it's got a speed control switch and it's molded in to the case) but I have installed 3 more 100mm fans to compensate for that fan being shut off.

Missing a blade that fan really doesn't do much other than shake the tower like an old washing machine which could cause other major problems. So I disabled it.

I have an Antec Case with a 200mm fan on the top of the case. I have multiple monitors (6) and one of them fell one night landing on top of the case and it broke a blade off of the fan. I can not find the exact fan to replace it (it's got a speed control switch and it's molded in to the case) but I have installed 3 more 100mm fans to compensate for that fan being shut off.

Missing a blade that fan really doesn't do much other than shake the tower like an old washing machine which could cause other major problems. So I disabled it.
that sucks something awful

have you checked in your bios? it could be warning that the case fan is not running or something similar...

unclewebb

RealTemp is silent for me. If I set a low alarm and it goes off, it plays the RTWarning.wav file and that's it. No knocks, no beeps and no other sounds besides that file. Post a screen shot of RealTemp with the Settings window open so I can have a look. Maybe I'll see something odd hiding in there.

unclewebb is the author and sole programmer of realtemp...

The W1zzard was nice enough a long time ago to donate a chunk of code for the system tray icons. That saved me a lot of hassle. I'm still not 100% sure how it works. I just know it works so that's good enough for me. :)

Arel3

that sucks something awful

have you checked in your bios? it could be warning that the case fan is not running or something similar...

No I have not checked bios. That could explain why even with minimum processes running I still get those sounds, but doesn't explain why they go away when I shut RT down...lol
I'll look in to that. I don't think my board, or any board, has that kind of feature. Good thinkin'! thanks!

RealTemp is silent for me. If I set a low alarm and it goes off, it plays the RTWarning.wav file and that's it. No knocks, no beeps and no other sounds besides that file. Post a screen shot of RealTemp with the Settings window open so I can have a look. Maybe I'll see something odd hiding in there.

The W1zzard was nice enough a long time ago to donate a chunk of code for the system tray icons. That saved me a lot of hassle. I'm still not 100% sure how it works. I just know it works so that's good enough for me. :)

As I've said I commend and recommend this software to everyone, daily, as I'm an on-site computer tech with multiple contracts. However nobody, including myself, knows absolutely everything so there are some things I'm not sure of what they mean and what they do in the settings. I would like to request some documentation in the next release. I would even create, donate, and contribute it if you'd like me to. I'd need the descriptions of the things I'm not sure of. Like:

CIE: I assume this is the Acronym meaning Computer Integrated Engineering? But what exactly does it do if you have it turned on? I'm assuming it monitors CIE components. But there's no layover for CIE stuff anywhere, that I see.

VID 1.2625???? No idea what that is.

TM Load: I assume this monitors load percentage on the CPU as an average between cores?
I understand assumptions are wrong most of the time ;)

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
C1E, Not CIE

it controls the speed of your processor when it should go into a slower state. (idle / rest)
Go here for an indepth read:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1975
(scroll down)

VID i think is the default voltage for the cpu. i could be wrong about that but i know it has somthing to do with the volts.

The VID is the "stock" vCore for each chip, and it varies from chip to chip based on Intel's testing procedures. The VID will tell the motherboard: "This is the voltage I require at stock speeds when the VCore setting is on 'Auto' for proper operation." Nothing more. It is said that a lower VID value will yield better overclocks, but nothing's been conclusively proven

(i have also never used real temp for the alarm :D)

Arel3

Thanks for the info slyfox.
I boycott overclocking personally.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Arel3> To test the sounds:
A) open the realtemp settings, notice the temps that the alarms are set at
B) change the cpu temp to 20 and click apply, the alarm should sound... what sound? Default would be the klaxon alarm.
c) change the temp for cpu to what it was or what would be suitable for your processor(cpu) and change the gpu temp to 20 and click apply...Should be the same klaxon alarm.
D) now, change the temp for gpu to what it was or the appropriate temp for your gpu and click apply\ok; sounds should cease and, now, close the settings menu.

If the klaxon sounds were heard, then the sounds are correct.
If, this is the case then your are possibly hearing Windows\Linux\other (depending on your OS) theme sounds.
And, you may want to check the sound tab in control panel's sound utility, by going throgh the different sound for certain actions and preview them.
It could be sounds for minimize, menu, program start\stop, etc..

If this were not the case, then, do a search of your system's drives for the "RTWarning.wav" file or files and see if something has added or changed it, as unclewebb has mentioned.

Good-luck on finding the gremlins.:)

unclewebb

Arel3: Have you read the RealTemp documentation on TechPowerUp. I haven't updated it in quite a while since I'm not sure if anyone ever reads it. Here's the direct link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

The TM Load option calculates and displays the load percentage using the same method that the Task Manager uses. The default method for RealTemp is to calculate the percentage of time the CPU is in the C0 state and display that. When a CPU is being internally throttled by clock modulation, the C0% number is more useful than the data the task manager shows. The task manager load meter is useless when a CPU is being internally throttled. It will continue to show a CPU at 100% load even when internally it might only be performing at a fraction of its rated performance level.

I think slyfox took care of the rest of your questions.

I don't see anything too unusual in the RealTemp settings window. Are you using the latest bios for your motherboard?

unclewebb

If you like reading that much then maybe you would like to check out the guide I wrote today on NBR for my other program, ThrottleStop.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...arket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

ThrottleStop is a useful monitoring and performance modification tool for many Intel Core 2 and Core i CPUs. When I'm finally finished, the W1zzard has told me that he would like to host it here along side RealTemp and add it to the TPU software stable. I can't wait. :)

Arel3

Arel3: Have you read the RealTemp documentation on TechPowerUp. I haven't updated it in quite a while since I'm not sure if anyone ever reads it. Here's the direct link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

The TM Load option calculates and displays the load percentage using the same method that the Task Manager uses. The default method for RealTemp is to calculate the percentage of time the CPU is in the C0 state and display that. When a CPU is being internally throttled by clock modulation, the C0% number is more useful than the data the task manager shows. The task manager load meter is useless when a CPU is being internally throttled. It will continue to show a CPU at 100% load even when internally it might only be performing at a fraction of its rated performance level.

I think slyfox took care of the rest of your questions.

I don't see anything too unusual in the RealTemp settings window. Are you using the latest bios for your motherboard?

That link was what I was looking for! Thanks!
I'll read over it.

@Arel3> To test the sounds:
A) open the realtemp settings, notice the temps that the alarms are set at
B) change the cpu temp to 20 and click apply, the alarm should sound... what sound? Default would be the klaxon alarm.
c) change the temp for cpu to what it was or what would be suitable for your processor(cpu) and change the gpu temp to 20 and click apply...Should be the same klaxon alarm.
D) now, change the temp for gpu to what it was or the appropriate temp for your gpu and click apply\ok; sounds should cease and, now, close the settings menu.

If the klaxon sounds were heard, then the sounds are correct.
If, this is the case then your are possibly hearing Windows\Linux\other (depending on your OS) theme sounds.
And, you may want to check the sound tab in control panel's sound utility, by going throgh the different sound for certain actions and preview them.
It could be sounds for minimize, menu, program start\stop, etc..

If this were not the case, then, do a search of your system's drives for the "RTWarning.wav" file or files and see if something has added or changed it, as unclewebb has mentioned.

Good-luck on finding the gremlins.:)

I haven't checked windows theme sounds...thanks for the idea!

Arel3

It's not any of the windows theme sounds. I've checked all of the sounds via the control panel and C:\Windows\Media (XP Pro)

I've even ran a search for *wav on my entire computer and...there's millions of them :(
I'll find them some day.