• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

South Korean government will ditch Microsoft Windows for Linux

System Name Pioneer
Processor Intel i9 9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 @ 13-13-13-33-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Storage Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5" HDD 2TB 7200 RPM (w/128MBs of Cache)
Display(s) LG 32GK850G-B 1440p 32" AMVA Panel G-Sync 144hz Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) Onboard TOSLINK to Schiit Modi MB to Schiit Asgard 2 Amp to AKG K7XX Ruby Red Massdrop Headphones
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova T2 850W 80Plus Titanium
Mouse ROCCAT Kone EMP
Keyboard WASD CODE 104-Key w/ Cherry MX Green Keyswitches, Doubleshot Vortex PBT White Transluscent Keycaps
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise... yes, it's legit.
All your counterpoints are reasons why linux is not a daily driver for the non tech inclined.
Wanna try again? That wasn't a rant.

The nontech inclined doesn't mean they'll be trying to load drivers in it. Quite the contrary, nontech-inclined means they'll be quite "point and do what I am told."

Using a linux distro like Ubuntu is actually easier and less maintenance than Windows for everyday office work, which is typically what government employees do. And for sure open source software is more secure.

With all the moves away from globalization lately, I can see why countries wouldn't want to depend on another country.

Just look at how Canada was/is being treated by the U.S. with tariffs for the last 6+ months. I'm sure South Korea is paying attention.

System Name humble reentry to pc-building after too many years
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 32" Samsung F395 [1080/60]
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Sys, Vali 2, Scarlett 2i2 gen2 - LSR 305's, DT-990 Pro's, HD600's
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Last time I installed linux, it was no more complicated than Windows 10... if anything it was simpler. Not to mention most of the big, mainstream distros have you set up with big-pool software repositories where installing any app your average user would need is a matter of going right into it via the gui, searching or browsing by category and clicking on the one you want. Imagine Windows store, only everything is free and it all works. You click it, it downloads/installs, and you use it. And the apps are generally very refined and capable. Not to mention many of them are specifically designed to look and function just like their Windows counterparts, meaning experience in the Windows ecosystem does tend to carry over. On the fringes, there is weird stuff that takes footwork to use, but that's all power-user territory. For an office user, linux is pretty easy to recommend.

Sometimes I think people see linux power-users (which to be fair is probably most avid linux users) messing about with the terminal and getting under the hood and think that's what linux is... like, that's what it takes to use linux. But your average user, whether at home or at work, will probably never need to go that way... same as with Windows. Now, from an IT perspective linux can be highly favorable in terms of security, troubleshooting, and sheer modularity. It's fairly trivial to do a custom distro... in this case I imagine it would be very possible for a couple of people with all of the relevant info to compile a custom build that would suit everyone's needs to the point where the only real difference coming from W10 would be that the GUI looks a little different and things have different names. But then, that's what icons are for.

And then, there's drift. There's that common adage of having to re-install windows sometimes. It can sometimes drift, become almost untraceably (or it IS traceable, it just takes too long to whittle-down) broken by updates/software... what have you. It sometimes loses stability over time, which I imagine can be a huge PITA when you're working with tons of interlocking systems. IME, linux-based systems tend not to have this problem. You set them up, with a potentially very high degree of granularity, to run how you want them to, and then they do that for years. And you can set it up so that nobody and nothing is changing that. That kind of stability and ease of maintenance can save a lot of money.

I dunno, from an IT perspective, long run... it's great. I see few downsides. I know which one I'd want if I were the admin. And honestly the learning curve is basically nonexistant. Modern linux has several gui's that mimic modern Windows so well that your basic user might not even realize it isn't Windows. And beyond that, there are other configurations that ARE a little different, but actually may be better optimized for your workflow and thus are very intuitive and easy to learn.

It's not like everybody shows up to work one day and gets a 3-inch-thick book slammed on their desk with a sticky note saying "memorize this by tomorrow." It's not this insurmountable thing. I installed and used my first linux distro in my early teens and I promise you I was not some sort of prodigy. Frankly, I didn't know shit! It was just that easy, even back then!

Last edited: