• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Space images thread

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
On an anecdotal note. I love images of space and it's details on my 4K monitor( especially Nebula and Galaxies). There is so much detail to be seen that it is absolutely hypnotic.

On an anecdotal note. I love images of space and it's details on my 4K monitor( especially Nebula and Galaxies). There is so much detail to be seen that it is absolutely hypnotic.
One of the great things about 4k displays. Game framerates suffer, but oh do high-res pictures pop!

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
One of the great things about 4k displays. Game framerates suffer, but oh do high-res pictures pop!

Exactly I have a gallery of Galaxies on my desktop and when I looked at the Sombrero galaxy I thought It was a smudge on my screen until I realized it was a star creating a solar system!

Jupiter

This image shows a snippet of the Sun up close, revealing a golden surface marked by a number of dark, blotchy sunspots, curving filaments, and lighter patches known as ‘plages’ – brighter regions often found near sunspots. The width of the image would cover roughly a third of the diameter of the solar disc.

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
Fast radio bursts strike again!

ISS timelapses

Tethys appears to be stuck to Saturn's A and F rings

In this image, a galaxy called ESO 243-49 is home to an extremely bright object called HLX-1. Circled in this image, HLX-1 is the most likely example of a black hole in the intermediate mass range.

Cosmic Jellyfish: a number of knotty streams of gas spewing outwards from a spiral galaxy named ESO 137-001.

NGC 4194, the Medusa merger

This cloud of gas and dust is full of bubbles, which are inflated by wind and radiation from massive young stars. Yellow circles and ovals show the locations of more than 30 bubbles. Squares indicate bow shocks, red arcs of warm dust formed as winds from fast-moving stars push aside dust grains.

This active region of star formation is located within the Milky Way, in the constellation Aquila. Black veins running throughout the cloud are regions of especially dense cold dust and gas where even more new stars are likely to form.

The center of our Milky Way galaxy is hidden from the prying eyes of optical telescopes by clouds of obscuring dust and gas. But in this stunning vista, the Spitzer Space Telescope's infrared cameras penetrate much of the dust, revealing the stars of the crowded galactic center region. The upcoming James Webb Space Telescope will offer a much-improved infrared view, teasing out fainter stars and sharper details.

Perspective view of Nirgal Vallis (Mars)

Comet C/2016 R2 (PANSTARRS)

Jupiter

NGC 1706 is a spiral galaxy, ~ 230 million ly away, in the constellation of Dorado.

NGC 1404 — a giant elliptical galaxy located 62 million ly away in the constellation of Fornax.
The galaxy’s reserves of hot gas are being forcibly ripped and stripped away, in time, NGC 1404 will lose most of its hot gas, and therefore its ability to form new stars.

Chandra Spots a Mega-Cluster of Galaxies in the Making

Barnard's Merope Nebula, aka IC 349, is a cloud of interstellar gas and dust travelling through the Pleiades star cluster at a relative speed of 11 km/s.

Latest NASA Chandra and Spitzer goodness:

NASA's Juno spacecraft captures colorful, intricate patterns in a jet stream region of Jupiter's northern hemisphere known as "Jet N3."

Just after its close flyby of Jupiter on Nov. 3, 2019, NASA's Juno spacecraft caught this striking view of Jupiter's southern hemisphere as the spacecraft sped away from the giant planet. This image captures massive cyclones near Jupiter's south pole, as well as the chaotic clouds of the folded filamentary region — the turbulent area between the orange band and the brownish polar region.

Seen here, the majestic Milky Way rises above ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile, its bright band punctuated by red regions of star formation and dark, weaving filaments of interstellar dust. Two of the site’s telescopes, the 1-m Schmidt telescope (left) and the MPG-ESO 2.2-m telescope (right), are visible as well.

This cloud-strewn new image of RCW 36 (or Gum 20) was captured by ESO’s Focal Reducer and low dispersion Spectrograph (FORS).

And now two Hubble images:

Within the tempestuous Carina Nebula lies “Mystic Mountain.”

We see NGC 5468 face on, meaning we can see the galaxy’s loose, open spiral pattern in beautiful detail in images such as this one from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.

Comet 2I/Borisov is only the second interstellar object known to have passed through the solar system. These two images, taken by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, capture the comet appearing near a background galaxy (left) and soon after its closest approach to the Sun (right).

Galaxy NGC 3175 is located ~ 50 million ly away in the constellation of Antlia.

That video report about the recently discovered black hole was laughable. They got so many facts wrong. I don't really blame them too much, they're reporters and news anchors, and black holes are a very misunderstood astronomical subject..