• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spare dollars - what to buy?

System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
Hi all
Not sure what section to put this in so it's here for now but mods feel free to move it.
I am from the UK but currently in USA for a couple more months and it looks like I will have around $250 spare. Maybe $200-290 or something like that.

The rates they give you for buy/sell dollars in the UK are quite different so they make a load of money on it and I don't like that. My plan is to use my spare dollars to buy some PC hardware and then sell it when I'm back in the UK, to get my full dollar value back in pounds.

But what to buy? I want to only get 1 or at most 2 items and they've got to be popular so they are easy to sell in the UK. They won't be used at all but I expect to have to undercut UK prices by about 10% at least in order to sell them back home. This means they need to be 10% under UK prices in US. This shouldn't be a problem since sales tax here (IL) is 8% and VAT in the UK is now 20%!

I am staying near chicago and there is a Tiger Direct nearby (CompUSA now) so that would be a good place to buy whatever it is I end up buying. Obviously it needs to be fairly small to transport easily too.

Ideas welcome :)

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
get a GTX560 ti, those should be pretty popular right now, look for a store called Fry's, Microcenter, or TigerDirect, you can just walk in, buy, and be on your way without having to wait for shipping... don't go to Best Buy, staples, target, wall-mart, radio shack, they charge too much

MohawkAngel

Get yourself a life !!!
Just kidding...Hookers maybe..film it ... back to UK you sell the video to a company get more money and buy yourself some nice parts :D ?