• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Speaker covers.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I'd like to ask you all a question about speaker covers.
One is do they block sound?
Another is can they actually vibrate at high output.
I noticed that the Klipsch I have use magnets to stay on.
My speakers are Copper and look so AMAZING I am finding it hard to want to use them. (LOL) .
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
To me they have always been a dust cover first, and possibly a layer of protection against instant damage to a cone.

I am also a fan of running them open, just know you will have to dust them now.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
To me they have always been a dust cover first, and possibly a layer of protection against instant damage to a cone.

I am also a fan of running them open, just know you will have to dust them now.
Not the way they are used! LOL
I have to say I love Klipsch they did away with that stupid round cone.
All mine are flat and tapered really quit unique giving a solid sound. Bold strong and yet clean and clear. Amazing for the price. You just can NOT get anything better IMHO.
Yet to cover them up I often wondered why. Speakers have to move air and to block that air with even the lightest of fabric still takes away from the "True" sound that the speaker can produce. Am I right?
I mean I know if you have some really ugly speakers yeah cover them up.
I wonder do the designers of the speakers use the same covers when they do there R&D or what?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I love the look of Klipsch with those copper domes too. I got a pair of RF-82 II's for my mom for Christmas and she always keeps the grilles on, hiding away those gorgeous horns and 8" convex copper domes.

Sound-wise, it's kind of an OCD thing, imo. Lower frequencies are too big to really be hindered by it all unless the enclosures are literally dozens of feet wide, but the higher frequencies will be affected by reflections induced by the grille supports. The actual cloth makes no measurable difference, but the plastic frame will scatter frequencies. Depending on the model, yours probably has a lattice mesh, which will definitely have more of an effect than the type where there are driver-shaped circles cut into the mesh support - big open gaps are far less intrusive. It's the same effect as nulls in a room, or like... how placing bookshelves flat on a desk will lead to bass suckout and boominess from the waves bouncing off of the comparatively large desk. - the reflections bounce off the frame and then reflect off of the baffle. So you've got these late sounds moving along out of phase with the same high-frequency waves that are making it straight through, essentially cancelling some of them out long before they even have a chance to reach you. This is because some of the sound is bouncing off of the inside and right back, essentially making it work against itself.

Whether you hear/like the difference is subjective. It's not going to be a major difference unless they really fucked it up. But no doubt it will result in some perceptual loss in the highs and even mids. The lowest frequency affected will come down to the width of the front baffle, as any sound wave wider will not reflect. To give a reference, 2.5k waves are ~5 1/2" across. So if you have a grille/baffle that's say 6" wide, anything from that point and above will partially get cancelled by grille-baffle reflections. At 1khz, you're getting into big-boy stuff before the grille matters at all... the enclosure would need to be over a foot wide. But up at 5khz, a baffle wider than ~3" will bounce.

If you really wanna get picky, the dispersion pattern will change in a way that might negatively effect stereo imaging, make the whole stage more diffuse. In the treble, your spacial cues are getting a bit chopped up. It's the same effect as a bad room, or having nearfields too close to walls. Soundstage and imaging get harder to pick out, because some of that is being lost to those reflections. The difference with grilles is they come right off of the speaker enclosures themselves!

Now... Klipsch generally likes horn-loaded drivers, some of which are fuckin laser beams of fairly aggressive treble. They might actually benefit from that scattering and attenuation effect. It wouldn't be the first time a speaker designer built the grille to compliment the speaker. Though generally the grilles are a compromise on protection... as in, they're designed to sound best without them. And given the wow-factor of Klipsch... yeah, probably sounds better leaving them off.

That all said, it's splitting hairs. Do what you like.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I love the look of Klipsch with those copper domes too. I got a pair of RF-82 II's for my mom for Christmas and she always keeps the grilles on, hiding away those gorgeous horns and 8" convex copper domes.

Sound-wise, it's kind of an OCD thing, imo. Lower frequencies are too big to really be hindered by it all unless the enclosures are literally dozens of feet wide, but the higher frequencies will be affected by reflections induced by the grille supports. The actual cloth makes no measurable difference, but the plastic frame will scatter frequencies. Depending on the model, yours probably has a lattice mesh, which will definitely have more of an effect than the type where there are driver-shaped circles cut into the mesh support - big open gaps are far less intrusive. It's the same effect as nulls in a room, or like... how placing bookshelves flat on a desk will lead to bass suckout and boominess from the waves bouncing off of the comparatively large desk. - the reflections bounce off the frame and then reflect off of the baffle. So you've got these late sounds moving along out of phase with the same high-frequency waves that are making it straight through, essentially cancelling some of them out long before they even have a chance to reach you. This is because some of the sound is bouncing off of the inside and right back, essentially making it work against itself.

Whether you hear/like the difference is subjective. It's not going to be a major difference unless they really fucked it up. But no doubt it will result in some perceptual loss in the highs and even mids. The lowest frequency affected will come down to the width of the front baffle, as any sound wave wider will not reflect. To give a reference, 2.5k waves are ~5 1/2" across. So if you have a grille/baffle that's say 6" wide, anything from that point and above will partially get cancelled by grille-baffle reflections. At 1khz, you're getting into big-boy stuff before the grille matters at all... the enclosure would need to be over a foot wide. But up at 5khz, a baffle wider than ~3" will bounce.

If you really wanna get picky, the dispersion pattern will change in a way that might negatively effect stereo imaging, make the whole stage more diffuse. In the treble, your spacial cues are getting a bit chopped up. It's the same effect as a bad room, or having nearfields too close to walls. Soundstage and imaging get harder to pick out, because some of that is being lost to those reflections. The difference with grilles is they come right off of the speaker enclosures themselves!

Now... Klipsch generally likes horn-loaded drivers, some of which are fuckin laser beams of fairly aggressive treble. They might actually benefit from that scattering and attenuation effect. It wouldn't be the first time a speaker designer built the grille to compliment the speaker. Though generally the grilles are a compromise on protection... as in, they're designed to sound best without them. And given the wow-factor of Klipsch... yeah, probably sounds better leaving them off.

That all said, it's splitting hairs. Do what you like.

Thank you very much.
I have noticed a major change, I have OCD. And when it comes to this system it is GOING to be the best ANYONE in the hood hears!
I need to take a pic of the grills but I think they are totally not needed and they do hinder sound.
OH man the highs the Klipsch have is AMAZING the 400w Sub is more than enough for my 25'x 30' room just blasts you right out! BANG , BANG , BANG!
I agree the Klipsch have a very aggressive tweeter I think this is what makes the Klipsch so Clean ,clear and Crisp. Some thing no other speaker can offer.
I can actually hear the difference when the cover is on, I can tell when a speaker has a cover and when it is not blind folded. (I have done it as an experiment).
I wished you could hear it.
The new Denon is just AMAZING !
I can't even get the thing past 60 on the volume level and there is PLENTY more this system can give and the Klipsch just take it like they are getting paid!
My ears on the other hand can not take it. LOL.
Thank you for clear my though about this up.
I knew that the engineers would design there speakers for show as well as sound not to cover them.
The fact is the cover is nothing more than a "Soft layer of protection" and can take away from high sounds. I like to hear things like a "Bell" in a song I never heard before, It makes me go "WOW" I hears so much now going from cheep made crap to top notch makes a huge difference.
Not to knock any one or take away from there quality but Sony speakers just can NOT cut it.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Not the way they are used! LOL
I have to say I love Klipsch they did away with that stupid round cone.
All mine are flat and tapered really quit unique giving a solid sound. Bold strong and yet clean and clear. Amazing for the price. You just can NOT get anything better IMHO.
Yet to cover them up I often wondered why. Speakers have to move air and to block that air with even the lightest of fabric still takes away from the "True" sound that the speaker can produce. Am I right?
I mean I know if you have some really ugly speakers yeah cover them up.
I wonder do the designers of the speakers use the same covers when they do there R&D or what?

Just a bit of help there..... the cone is the angled bits. The round bit in the middle is a dust cap/cover ;)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Just a bit of help there..... the cone is the angled bits. The round bit in the middle is a dust cap/cover ;)
Yeah it is that round dust cover. A piece of material to cover the voice coil. I remember poking them as a kid and my DAD whipping the piss out of me for it lol.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Thank you very much.
I have noticed a major change, I have OCD. And when it comes to this system it is GOING to be the best ANYONE in the hood hears!
I need to take a pic of the grills but I think they are totally not needed and they do hinder sound.
OH man the highs the Klipsch have is AMAZING the 400w Sub is more than enough for my 25'x 30' room just blasts you right out! BANG , BANG , BANG!
I agree the Klipsch have a very aggressive tweeter I think this is what makes the Klipsch so Clean ,clear and Crisp. Some thing no other speaker can offer.
I can actually hear the difference when the cover is on, I can tell when a speaker has a cover and when it is not blind folded. (I have done it as an experiment).
I wished you could hear it.
Haha, when I actually got to sit down with those RP-92's I definitely got the appeal. When I first got them set up, I put on this song and cranked it.
And fuck man, the guitars and drums were so alive and full of energy that it felt like being up close at an arena. I first heard that song 20 years ago and I don't think I ever heard it like that. There's something really special about their horn-loaded tweeters. Really foreward-sounding, but also super-lively. The total opposite of dull. They wanna reach out and grab you by the ears. I'm a believer. They are the best for loud, aggressive music. Always comes back to those horns, which are super-loud and efficient. You could plug em into a Fischer-Price amp and they'd probably still be loud.

Thank you for clear my though about this up.
I knew that the engineers would design they speakers for show as well as sound not to cover them.
Mmm, from a design standpoint, using a grille to get the sound you want would be something like trying to paint by splashing paint on the wall and cleaning it off of everything else. If it doesn't sound right, it doesn't need a cover to 'fix' it, the original issue is with the speaker design. It sounds really silly when you put it plainly.

"Bob, this speaker sounds bad - the treble is like an ice pick shower... should I go back and cut some new baffle designs? Or maybe different drivers? Different capacitors in the crossover - or maybe we need to rethink the whole circuit? What should we do?"

"Jim. Listen, fuck that." *Tosses blanket over speaker.*

"Oh, gee, Bob, that really does sound less terrible! And it's just so easy. Ship it!"

Point is, there's no need for a grille to fix those sorts of problems. You can tune it via the crossover, or play around with baffle layouts... mess around with the size/shape/damping of the enclosure. Just so many things that are more favorable for any competent designer. And doing it that way doesn't cause the side-effects a grille does. Occam's razor. You're adding another thing to fix something that only requires changing something that's already there. And the thing you're adding causes more problems. A grille is the "The treble is bad and we're out of time." or the "I have tried everything." fix. Some exotic stuff makes creative use of covers, but otherwise it's just a nah. They're meant to be as out of the way as possible and that's about it. Most times, anyway.

The fact is the cover is nothing more than a "Soft layer of protection" and can take away from high sounds. I like to hear things like a "Bell" in a song I never heard before, It makes me go "WOW" I hears so much now going from cheep made crap to top notch makes a huge difference.
Not to knock any one or take away from there quality but Sony speakers just can NOT cut it.
It's interesting you mention that. That's probably the biggest difference. Take the hit on a ride cymbal. Chances are there's a mic closer to it that's picking up the attack right when it's struck - that loud "ting" sound. And then far above are at least a couple of overheads, meant to pick up the decay following the hit... that lingering, ringing "echo" that trails off. Usually some reverb on top for emphasis. When you have quick phase cancellation happening like that, transients get fucky. The attack is much higher in amplitude than the decay, so when it bounces off, it "eats" the decaying sound that comes after, which IME results in sort of a phantom attack. It gets smeared into the decay, and doesn't stand out like it should. Meanwhile, the actual decay gets chopped and you lose that sense of forward-back depth. It makes those quicker sounds flatter and weaker. No amount of EQ or DSP can really bring that back.

Last edited:
Just crank up the bass, that will shake off the dust. Speakers should sound better with the covers off.

As a side note, I'm a big fan of B&W Loudspeakers LTD. A speaker needs to be light but very stiff. Kevlar is one of the best material out there.

It depends on the fabric, some come very close to being acoustically transparent across the audible frequencies. As mentioned the carrier for the fabric is much more likely to have an influence, if it is not designed properly.

A good rule of thumb for when something will have an influence is if its dimensions approaches 1/4 or 1/2 wave length.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yeah I'm not ever putting this cover back on.
That is the center cover, I think that is doing a lot of sound canceling and the such.
Just a minefield for the sound to navigate through.
The other ones are just as bad IMHO.
I bet they could save the consumer some cash if they just stopped including them with the speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 159

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Man I wished you could hear these things!
I got to say Klipsch has spoiled me, Now everything I hear other than my system just sounds like a tin can and that is FACT!

Attachments

• IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
The covers also protect the drivers, during shipping they are a must. Most high-end speakers also come with dedicated driver covers for protecting the most fragile and or exposed drivers.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
The covers also protect the drivers, during shipping they are a must. Most high-end speakers also come with dedicated driver covers for protecting the most fragile and or exposed drivers.
Hate to burst your bubble on that ,But they are shipped in a box and that box doesn't contain the cover being on. They are in fact shipped with the covers off and in a separate box.
I should know after all I unpacked 6 of them myself.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Cooling ID Cooling SE_225-XT Black with noctua fans
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB TWIN EDGE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
I always take the covers off my speakers if they can be removed.

Some speakers also look nasty with the covers on lol not all but some :)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I always take the covers off my speakers if they can be removed.

Some speakers also look nasty with the covers on lol not all but some :)
Right!

Hate to burst your bubble on that ,But they are shipped in a box and that box doesn't contain the cover being on. They are in fact shipped with the covers off and in a separate box.
I should know after all I unpacked 6 of them myself.
Those Klipsch speakers look to have all drivers recessed so the speaker cover are just for show, unless you have kids that like to take a poke at the membranes! :)