• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spectre / Meltdown Fiasco - User Side

Exactly, i don't use any of them Online.
Wow. :) You're... not very comfortable with computers. Or wasting their potential on gaming. But you're allowed to do that... for now. :p
Yes i do, on my Phone
It's most likely affected as well. :p
I hear that a lot from MS and often refuted by security experts. I did not install any of the patches on Win7 that are responsible for Win10 Upgrade push nor any of the Win10 tracking features adapted for Win7 ... . WU is set to advise of any available updates and within a week I will have examined each one, what it does and whether there is a reason to install ... or as the case may be, a reason not to install.
Wouldn't you prefer to just use the computer instead of reading update information? I'm assuming you're not an admin or IT security personel, because you would see some proof of these vulnerabilities by now. :p
I don't read the update information. Moving to W10, which automates this process, was a blessing in my opinion. It's like another layer of virtualization - you spend even less time worrying about your PC.
All the articles i have found so far address VM holes and such but have yet to see a hole demonstrated and confirmed on the desktop. The industry always has a reason to use FUD to promote sales and that's all I have seen so fare ... "could be".... "may be" .. yes I have seen those. I have not seen any such hole confirmed. Have yet to see any word of a confirmed exploit and that's the **reality** and what is on my radar.
There are many articles about this issue. I've linked few of them in other topics we had lately. You should simply look around.
I'd suggest starting with the articles from Graz University et al team:
https://meltdownattack.com/meltdown.pdf
https://spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Folks take a break from this getting personal- reply bans issued/thread cleanup requested

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
There really is no way this exploit could affect anyone but yourself as a home user, so I really dont understand why we are so emotional about what others do or dont do in terms of updates and patches. Its also an illusion anyone of us can force others to patch.

If you consider this exploit a risk thats not worth sacrificing a bit of performance for, by all means, but all I can say then is: when your negligence can threaten your livelihood, you are doing it wrong. It is a rather narrow minded approach I detect and a certain degree of naivity is involved.

This, to me, is simply a case of 'bite the bullet', take the loss and move along. The bottom line is that if you run something connected to the internet, full control of this rig is an illusion anyway.

Instead of this pointless direction we are heading in with this topic, I would much prefer BENCHMARKS pre and post patch on each of our rigs. Build a dataset, and lets call things what they are instead of hurling speculation back and forth.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
In the end the patches need further testing and feedback to streamline them for max performance and stability.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
There really is no way this exploit could affect anyone but yourself as a home user,

In an age of botnets, that's not true at all.

There really is no way this exploit could affect anyone but yourself as a home user
Oh, really?

And what about companies that have your data? A breach to their systems won't affect you? :)

What about people you know that have your data?
When we give our personal info to someone, do they sign an agreement that they'll install all security updates? I know my friends don't. :)

That's why, for me, IT security is always a global thing. And when something as serious as Spectre/Meltdown comes around, the patches should by forced upon users in any way the manufacturers can. Simple as that. Yes, there will be a hit on performance, but it's just performance. It'll come back with next gen CPUs. We can live with slightly less of it for a moment.
I would much prefer BENCHMARKS pre and post patch on each of our rigs.
I don't see how this is important. Other than the fact that many people here just like benchmarks.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I don't see how this is important. Other than the fact that many people here just like benchmarks.

Important regardless of the inevitable end result of "should patch." People like to know what they are losing, dude.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
In an age of botnets, that's not true at all.

That is a stretch though - from a longterm present malware that will read out data and call home, to actually being compromised for a botnet. That is not what this exploit entails, only what it ultimately can lead to, and again, for a home user, this really isnt of relevance right now.

As for @notb read carefully. You are expanding my statement into your zone of companies with my data, other people with my data. This topic really was meant to be about impact on the home user, on his own rig. We know for enterprise the risk and impact is huge. But for the home user? There is a risk, just like there is one for every other malware. I would consider a piece of ransomware however much more of a threat.

Last edited:
Important regardless of the inevitable end result of "should patch." People like to know what they are losing, dude.
Ah... so we're still choosing between data security and CPU speed? I hoped this idea is going to die by now... :p

OK, I'll give you a hint. If this whole Spectre/Meltdown eruption didn't happen, but instead companies were selling 2 CPU variants - one of them with 10% performance bonus, but with a critical security flaw, would you consider this a serious offer?

Yes, people know what they are losing. I like to know that to, since I'm really relying on the performance of my rig - especially SSD speed, which got a huge blow with this quick fix. But I don't consider applying the patch as an option. I have to do it, I already did. Case closed.
Now a different thing is important: how CPU and OS makers can improve the solution. We only got a quick fix. A better one should lower the performance penalty.
Everything we had in the last 20 years was optimized with speculative execution taken for granted. Now some things will have to be rewritten and new CPU optimizations will have to take its place. So we got a single blow now, but it doesn't mean we'll never get back on that performance curve.
As for @notb read carefully. You are expanding my statement into your zone of companies with my data, other people with my data. This topic really was meant to be about impact on the home user, on his own rig. We know for enterprise the risk and impact is huge. But for the home user? There is a risk, just like there is one for every other malware. I would consider a piece of ransomware however much more of a threat.
Exactly! It's just another security patch!
How many critical security patches didn't you install lately?
Usually we don't spend so much time on discussing malware/ransomware security fixes' drawbacks, do we? I bet that if I created a topic "Do I really need an AV? It steals fps in games!" most of you would not have this kind of doubts.
Do you always benchmark your system before and after a Windows security fix? :)
And BTW: we all get daily AV definition updates. Surely each one makes scanning a bit longer and constant protection a bit more stressing on CPU, doesn't it? :)

The question that OP asked was: "What are the potential real world downsides to not patching in the desktop space ?"
Seriously, are you trying to tell me that a real world downside is the lost performance of a home PC? As opposed to e.g. leaking bank password, which would belong to which world? :)

I think the definition of "real world" got seriously distorted... but whatever. I'll leave you to your benchmarking if that's the case. :)

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
On my current computer, I have a NVMe drive hooked to a sata convertor. Anyway, win10 64bit keeps trying to auto update even after turning it off. I have a windows 10 update short cut on my desk top, but because my current OS drive is compressed 10 can not update. It auto tries daily several times, I am going to swap over my mainboard and CPU soon to the X99 socket. Then ill let it do its thing(after I run a few tests to try n tell if anything does slow down). I even have a windows updates folder(i deleted it once) that keeps coming back on my OS drive(24.66MB ).

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Increase security with site isolation
When you turn on site isolation, Chrome offers more security protections for your browser.

Chrome will load each website in its own process. So, even if a site bypasses the same-origin policy, the extra security will help stop the site from stealing your data from another website. Learn more about site isolation.
  1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. In the address bar at the top, enter chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process and press Enter.
  3. Next to 'Strict site isolation', click Enable.
  4. Click Relaunch now.
Known issues
  • Memory: Site isolation will increase Chrome's memory use by approximately 10–20%.
  • Printing: Cross-site iframes will be blank. To print the entire page, save the page to your computer. Then, open and print the saved file.
  • DevTools: Chrome Developer Tools don't fully support cross-site iframes with site isolation.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7623121?hl=en-GB

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42564461

Thought it was nothing new, but it was disabled as default in my browser.

Last edited:
Increase security with site isolation
When you turn on site isolation, Chrome offers more security protections for your browser.

Chrome will load each website in its own process. So, even if a site bypasses the same-origin policy, the extra security will help stop the site from stealing your data from another website. Learn more about site isolation.
Totally irrelevant. This may protect you from some high-level hacking methods - when JS in one site accesses objects from another one. This is blocked by design as a fundamental security measure. Otherwise computing would be just a mess. Imagine you open a tab with your bank and a tab with e.g. TPU - and server admins of this forum know exactly how much money you have. Of course, every now and then someone manages to breach this boarders, so running each page in a separate process is an additional security measure.

This will not protect you from Spectre or Meltdown. This methods access memory itself, not objects. It's a low-level attack.
In datacentre variant this actually makes it possible to access other virtual machines, let alone processes in your sandbox.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42564461
This is what happens when a news team manager forces his journalists to write about something important, but way too complicated for them. I remember how these guys "described" cryptocurrencies and crypto exchanges hacks not so long ago. Really bad stuff.
But the expert is not that much better:
"Even if an attacker did get access, they would get only "snippets" of data from the processor that could eventually be pieced together to reveal passwords or encryption keys, says cyber-security expert Alan Woodward, at the University of Surrey."
Someone who said this clearly doesn't really understand the importance of these attacks. They're all about getting "snippets" of data a.k.a. memory leaks. If these attacks could just access all memory objects on any PC that opens a malicious website, we would not call this a security threat, but an end of Internet as we know it. We would all have switch off our modems and go back to 1990. :)

Also, I love when you search for info about a Brit and the first page of results is dominated by a football player with the same name. I guess Brazilians might have a similar phenomenon going on.
"Alan Woodward (7 September 1946 – 21 May 2015) was a professional footballer who played"
"Mark William Ward (born 10 October 1962) is an English former footballer."
:-D

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
This will not protect you from Spectre or Meltdown.

Did I say that?
I just happen to read that in the BBC article.

"When you turn on site isolation, Chrome offers more security protections for your browser."
Thought I'd share that, thats all.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.3Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix B450-i Gaming
Cooling DEEPCOOL CastleEX 240
Memory OLOy Warhawk 32GB DDR4 3200 @ 4000Mhz (18-22-22-42 1T) (SK Hynix)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 DD Ultra ( Flashed to RX 5700 XT)
Storage ADATA XPG Gammix S7 512Gb // Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB // Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV
Case Metallic Gear Neo Mini V2
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD |
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 620 Modded Custom Sleeved Cables
Mouse Corsair Scimitar PRO RGB
Keyboard VicTsing RGB 96-Key Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professinol x64 bit
is there other people that has haswell/broadwell cpu based system having restarts and crashes after the this new Spectre update? i just got my first reboot since the patch alot of random crashes. are sandybridge cpu reporting any crashes since this update?

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
is there other people that has haswell/broadwell cpu based system having restarts and crashes after the this new Spectre update? i just got my first reboot since the patch alot of random crashes. are sandybridge cpu reporting any crashes since this update?

my kabylake system did a bluescreen on me a few nights back while i was watching netflix.. only the one so far but i think the patch needs some tweaking..

trog

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Ah... so we're still choosing between data security and CPU speed? I hoped this idea is going to die by now... :p

Read again. I specifically said there is no justification to decide for "performance." That doesn't make it any less important to know what is lost.

this really isnt of relevance right now.

Trust me, anyone refusing to install patches is of interest to botnet operators.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.3Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix B450-i Gaming
Cooling DEEPCOOL CastleEX 240
Memory OLOy Warhawk 32GB DDR4 3200 @ 4000Mhz (18-22-22-42 1T) (SK Hynix)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 DD Ultra ( Flashed to RX 5700 XT)
Storage ADATA XPG Gammix S7 512Gb // Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB // Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV
Case Metallic Gear Neo Mini V2
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD |
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 620 Modded Custom Sleeved Cables
Mouse Corsair Scimitar PRO RGB
Keyboard VicTsing RGB 96-Key Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professinol x64 bit
my kabylake system did a bluescreen on me a few nights back while i was watching netflix.. only the one so far but i think the patch needs some tweaking..

trog

Since update just been mostly program crashes like with flash player in Chrome, and corsair utility software, and my Wow game. And that one restart.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I believe the most scary thing that has been demonstrated is breaking out of a browser sandbox to read memory outside the sandbox.
If that's using pure javascript it must be thanks to the modern JIT compilers in browsers for faster script execution.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA

The day i installed the Patch my Coffee Lake Machine did a few random crashes and 1 or 2 reboots, so far no Bluescreen, many Games crashed or frozen, weird but true all this crashes happened just for one day, from the day after the installation until today has not happened again.

Note: One thing i have noticed, before the patch when i hit the power button the Machine checked the bios and booted after a few seconds but after the patch it takes a bit longer, from the Bios to windows it loads ok but when reading/loading the Bios that is the issue.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Since this is supposed to be user side experiences rather than poo-slinging, I will say that my i3 w8.1 machine will not take the patch. Twice Sunday, twice yesterday, it goes into a separate screen that says updating computer, then halts with fatal error. :shadedshu:

Wow... thanks RTW ...Having a place that avoids the poo slinging and other sidetracks was perhaps too optimistic :) ... we even managed to get how we might be affected by what others do ... but I can't worry about stuff over which I have no control. Still all I have seen is FUD, no actual instances of an observed problem ... at least as yet. I was hoping also to get a full list of KBs that apply the patch. And no I don't install security patches that do not affect our hardware. If Windows has a patch that permits a security breach involving hardware i don't own, then no i would not install that. I have not installed any of the patches that permit Win10 like tracking nor any of the forces Win10 ugrade stuff on Win7 boxes. We carefully read all KB information and make decisions based upon what it addresses. Why we don't install all patches right away ... especially when 1st dropped ? Should be obvious by now. Anyone remember Win 10 MS patch disabling SLI ? Any one remember XP SP disabling AutoCAD License manager leaving hundreds of engineering and architectural firms (like our own) staff sitting, getting paid and twiddling their thumbs cause they couldn't open the program ? We were unaffected because we wait a week before installing any patch. Woody Leonard (Computerworld) has tracked many such issues and checking this first has saved us from negative impacts more than once... we just wait until the patch isssues are resolved and then install ... if it applies to us. These patches are no exception:

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ltdown-spectre-patches-for-amd-computers.html

Be sure to read the entire article about the impact of AV programs which need to be updated BEFORE these patches are applied of the patch doesn't happen.

"Since all of Microsoft’s patches now are cumulative (except the Win7 and 8.1 security-only manually downloaded patches), that means those who don’t pay for their antivirus product, or otherwise get thrown under the antivirus bus, won’t get any more Windows patches. Ever.

And most will never know why."

More here ...

"After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown. To prevent AMD customers from getting into an unbootable state, Microsoft will temporarily pause sending the following Windows operating system updates to devices with impacted AMD processors at this time:

The updates include

January 3, 2018--KB4056897 (Security-only update)
January 9, 2018--KB4056894 (Monthly Rollup)
January 3, 2018--KB4056888 (OS Build 10586.1356)
January 3, 2018--KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)
January 3, 2018--KB4056891 (OS Build 15063.850)
January 3, 2018--KB4056890 (OS Build 14393.2007)
January 3, 2018--KB4056898 (Security-only update)
January 3, 2018--KB4056893 (OS Build 10240.17735)
January 9, 2018--KB4056895 (Monthly Rollup)"

Hugis

Staff member
System Name Office / Gamer Mk IV
Processor i5 - 12500
Motherboard TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
Cooling Themalright Peerless Assassin 120 RGB
Memory 32GB (2x16) Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 "micron B die"
Video Card(s) UHD770 / PNY 4060Ti (www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-verto)
Storage P41Plat - SN770 - 980Pro - BX500
Display(s) Philips 246E9Q 75Hz @ 1920 * 1080
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC897 (On Board)
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold v2
Mouse Rii M01(3360Sensor)
Keyboard Logitech S530 - mac
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I have installed Microcode 80 for Coffeelake by doing a Bios Update to my ASRock Z370 Taichi to version 1.40. I think this is meant to resolve some of the issues. I have installed all the Windows 7 Updates that have been pushed my way but it is hard to tell if the risk is truly mitigated. I tried running a Powershell script that Microsoft offered to test the vulnerability but it did not want to run.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I wonder how hard it's going to be to update the AMD microcode. We don't exactly have an unofficial Universal Bios Updater (UBU) program on the AMD side of things, like Intel users do.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I wonder how hard it's going to be to update the AMD microcode. We don't exactly have an unofficial Universal Bios Updater (UBU) program on the AMD side of things, like Intel users do.

Doesn't AMD do that when they update their AGESA microcode? Then the board makers update their BIOSes with this new AGESA, no?