• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Speed Shift is locked on my Throttle Stop 9.2 | Intel i7-10750h and 2070

StarGaming392

image_2022-12-04_210723944.png

Does anyone know why speed shift is locked for my laptop?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Try using ThrottleStop 9.5

If the Speed Shift setting is completely locked out, it is the BIOS that has locked it. Are you using the most recent BIOS for your laptop? ThrottleStop has no access to the Speed Shift setting if the BIOS has locked it.

StarGaming392

Try using ThrottleStop 9.5

If the Speed Shift setting is completely locked out, it is the BIOS that has locked it. Are you using the most recent BIOS for your laptop? ThrottleStop has no access to the Speed Shift setting if the BIOS has locked it.
I am using the most recent BIOS setting. I also do not even see speed shift in the BIOS. I only see Speed Step.

unclewebb

Post a screenshot of TS 9.5 including the FIVR and TPL windows. There might be some clues hiding in that info.

Edit - On my 10th Gen 10850K desktop CPU, when Speed Shift is disabled by the BIOS, ThrottleStop will look like this. Nothing related to Speed Shift will be shown below Set Multiplier. The CPU is basically telling ThrottleStop that Speed Shift does not exist for this CPU. If your computer shows nothing, it is a BIOS issue. What laptop model do you have?

1670350431174.png

It could also be an issue with Virtualization Based Security being enabled or having Core Isolation Memory Integrity enabled. Check those settings.

Last edited:

StarGaming392

Post a screenshot of TS 9.5 including the FIVR and TPL windows. There might be some clues hiding in that info.

Edit - On my 10th Gen 10850K desktop CPU, when Speed Shift is disabled by the BIOS, ThrottleStop will look like this. Nothing related to Speed Shift will be shown below Set Multiplier. The CPU is basically telling ThrottleStop that Speed Shift does not exist for this CPU. If your computer shows nothing, it is a BIOS issue. What laptop model do you have?

View attachment 273273

It could also be an issue with Virtualization Based Security being enabled or having Core Isolation Memory Integrity enabled. Check those settings.

That is exactly what ThrottleStop looks like on my PC. The model of laptop that I have is a Dell G7 7700 (2020).

View attachment 273273

Screenshot 2022-12-07 150739.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-07 150758.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 150758.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2022-12-07 150819.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 150819.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 67

unclewebb

Why are you still using ThrottleStop 9.2? It shows that the FIVR control is Locked. The undervolt settings are ignored by the CPU if the FIVR is locked. ThrottleStop 9.5 does a better showing that what you are trying to do is not working.

Crazy for a Dell laptop from 2020 with a 10th Gen CPU not to be using Speed Shift Technology. This technology was specifically designed by Intel for improved off idle response in laptops. It has been available since Intel's 6th Gen CPUs were released. You can try contacting Dell and ask them why their BIOS has disabled Speed Shift but you will not likely get anywhere by doing this.

Are you 100% sure that there is not a setting in the BIOS to enable Speed Shift? Dell might be calling it something different. Post some BIOS screenshots if you want me to try and guess where this setting might be hiding.

StarGaming392

Why are you still using ThrottleStop 9.2? It shows that the FIVR control is Locked. The undervolt settings are ignored by the CPU if the FIVR is locked. ThrottleStop 9.5 does a better showing that what you are trying to do is not working.

Crazy for a Dell laptop from 2020 with a 10th Gen CPU not to be using Speed Shift Technology. This technology was specifically designed by Intel for improved off idle response in laptops. It has been available since Intel's 6th Gen CPUs were released. You can try contacting Dell and ask them why their BIOS has disabled Speed Shift but you will not likely get anywhere by doing this.

Are you 100% sure that there is not a setting in the BIOS to enable Speed Shift? Dell might be calling it something different. Post some BIOS screenshots if you want me to try and guess where this setting might be hiding.
I ended up checking the BIOS and found it under Power instead of performance. I also use Throttle Stop 9.2 because I was able to unlock the voltages which is something that I cannot do on 9.5 for some reason.

unclewebb

Look at the FIVR monitoring table. Your voltages are not being applied. The voltage control register is locked. TS 9.2 had some users believing that everything was OK. TS 9.5 shows that voltage control is not working.

StarGaming392

Look at the FIVR monitoring table. Your voltages are not being applied. The voltage control register is locked. TS 9.2 had some users believing that everything was OK. TS 9.5 shows that voltage control is not working.
Is there anyway to unlock these voltages? It doesn’t let me unlock the voltages on TS 9.5 as it does on 9.2, but like you said, it’s not actually applying those values.

unclewebb

You need to modify a couple of UEFI BIOS variables to unlock CPU voltage control. After you do that, ThrottleStop will be able to control your CPU voltage.

This procedure is not without some risk so think twice about doing this before jumping into the deep end of the pool. You can brick your computer and it could refuse to start if something goes wrong.

As for TS 9.2 vs TS 9.5, I used to leave the voltage slider unlocked. There were some computers that locked voltage control after first booting up but would unlock voltage control after a sleep resume cycle. Leaving the slider unlocked was done as a convenience for users that owned laptops with this hidden feature.

I assumed people would look at the FIVR monitoring table data. I thought a column of offset voltages that all showed +0.0000 would be enough for people to realize if voltage control was working or not. I also thought showing at the top FIVR Control - Locked would be enough for users to figure this out. Many TS users have limited English language skills so I shortened it up to just one word, Locked.

None of this worked so for TS 9.5, I decided it would be best to physically lock the voltage slider if the BIOS had locked voltage control. There is no advantage using TS 9.2 over TS 9.5. If voltage control is locked, it is locked.