• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Split Second

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Just played it on PS3, actually had a smile on my face, wasn't as fast paced as I was expecting, Burnout feels faster. But was a lot of fun and it looked good.

Stak

System Name nGigabyte GTX-58 Blue Flash
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @3.885 (3.7 with turbo)
Motherboard Gigayte EX-58 UD3R
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2
Memory Kingston Value Ram DDR3 @1800 Mhz 6Gb
Video Card(s) MSI N470GTX OC 751/1501
Storage WD 640 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG Flatron LW207
Case Antec 902 with cooler master extra side panel fan(blue led)
Audio Device(s) on board HD
Power Supply Cooler Master gold 800W
Software Win 7 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Above avg
Nice game have the demo and have it on my ipid touch :) and im going to buy this as i notice an update for this game which removes the 30 fps cap :)

As i'm progressing through the game it's getting ridiculously hard in the mid way (Season 5).
Stupid jeeps that usually don't go anywhere in my hands were faster than the fastest Cobretti or whatever it was called. I just couldn't catch them Wtf!? And then there are some tracks where you can't get past 2nd place no matter what you do. You can have a drift car and nab them with every Zeus power and they'll still get past you like 200-300m before finish, meaning you can't do shit against them. Or they have super duper fast jeeps that are hardly scratched by explosions. Or they have same super fast sports cars as you and they again drive so fast that there is just no way of catching them in time. It's especially annoying since you can leave them in the dust in the first lap but you can't shake them in the second (final) lap. It gets kinda old later on. The only thing that i wonder how they managed to make Ai decades ago that was actually competitive but still wasn't cheating like every freakin game is these days.
Opponents in NFS High Stakes or NFS Porsche were sometimes tough as hell but i never had feeling they have super powers. If they spin out, they stayed behind. Not like today when you wreck them, sink them and place a nuke submarine on them and yet they still manage to beat you. It's just lame.

As i'm progressing through the game it's getting ridiculously hard in the mid way (Season 5).
Stupid jeeps that usually don't go anywhere in my hands were faster than the fastest Cobretti or whatever it was called. I just couldn't catch them Wtf!? And then there are some tracks where you can't get past 2nd place no matter what you do. You can have a drift car and nab them with every Zeus power and they'll still get past you like 200-300m before finish, meaning you can't do shit against them. Or they have super duper fast jeeps that are hardly scratched by explosions. Or they have same super fast sports cars as you and they again drive so fast that there is just no way of catching them in time. It's especially annoying since you can leave them in the dust in the first lap but you can't shake them in the second (final) lap. It gets kinda old later on. The only thing that i wonder how they managed to make Ai decades ago that was actually competitive but still wasn't cheating like every freakin game is these days.
Opponents in NFS High Stakes or NFS Porsche were sometimes tough as hell but i never had feeling they have super powers. If they spin out, they stayed behind. Not like today when you wreck them, sink them and place a nuke submarine on them and yet they still manage to beat you. It's just lame.

Ah good, so it is not only me. :p As soon as I hit episode 5, its like all the AI cars got a super-boost. When the AI is going around corners, they can magically accelerate and handle perfectly, it is pretty crazy. The challenge is welcome, but I wish they would have eased into it, instead of flipping the "mega challenging AI" flag once you hit episode 5.

TVman

Processor E8400 3.6 ghz
Memory 4 GB
Video Card(s) HD4850 512 MB
Storage 250 GB
Software win 7 64bit

Ah good, so it is not only me. :p As soon as I hit episode 5, its like all the AI cars got a super-boost. When the AI is going around corners, they can magically accelerate and handle perfectly, it is pretty crazy. The challenge is welcome, but I wish they would have eased into it, instead of flipping the "mega challenging AI" flag once you hit episode 5.

in page one you will find that i had the same problem,how did i solve it? it took a much lower tier car and all went do normal again :ohwell:

Yeah, i noticed the cornering thing as well. I had a car that hardly drifts yet i was going wide, but they were going full speed inside the corner. Will try with lowest end car tommorow to see if it makes any difference...

TVman, that did the trick. I now finally won certain races that i just couldn't win otherwise.
I won one by like 10 miliseconds and another one for like half a second. It was tight, but i won :D
Season 6 is now in action.

EDIT:
They have to be f**kin kidding or something. 4 races in a row and this fuck always gets past me in the last 50 meters even though i had absolute lead througout the entire race. Chopper bomb dropped directly on him does exactly nothing in the last corner. So much for fair play...

Last edited:
System Name Water
Processor Q9550 Stock
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Cooling Noctua big ass cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator PC8500 4 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950
Storage Velociraptor 300 GB, Samsung 500 GB, MyBook 300 GB
Display(s) 1: Eizo 23" LCD Foris FS2331-BK 2: Samsung 226BW
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840
Audio Device(s) Asus STX
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Played the demo on PS3. Not overly impressed. Everything felt so sloooow. It had nice graphics though.
Could be the fps cap I read about earlier in the thread. If it's really at 30 FPS, then no wonder it feels so slow compared to WipeOut HD which runs at 60 FPS.

I don't get it where you ppl "lack" the speed. Every game has a different feeling of speed. I also cannot seem to notice any downside of 30fps lock. I've been used to NFS games that were running far past 30fps limit and this one works pretty much the same. Also the cars in the beginning are rather slow. But later on when you get better cars like Cobretti GT RS, Cobretti Vortex, Hanzo GT, Hanzo Bayonet R or Elite S510, that's when the fun begins. They are slightly more fragile (not all), but they run like crazy. Acceleration indeed feels different than in other games but once you go full speed, it's really fast.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I don't know. I'm not finding this game very fun. I think I'd rather play Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

I honestly wouldn't. NFS:MW was one of the better NFS's in the last years, but open world is s**t.
Closed circuits that have dedicated design and theme, add more variety plus it works great with knocking records of the chart. Sure the cars are made up and their names as well, but they are well modeled with funny names, they perform differently and each is good for certain thing more than the other. The biggest problem is that ppl simply aren't used to closed circuits anymore.
If it's not open world they quickly dislike it. And especially here where the core gameplay is so significantly different compared to traditional racing games.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
More variety by going in circles? Does not compute.

It's really quite simple. I'd rather run into a structural weakness having it crash down on everyone behind me than an object mysteriously explode in front of me for no apparent reason beyond pressing a key; moreover, there's nothing like having 10+ cops on your ass with many ways to deal with you (road blocks, spike strips, helicopters). The adrenaline does get pumping when you got $10 million bounty on your head and you are just one wrong move away from getting shafted.

Everything about Split Second is second-rate. Even the music is crap and racing games with crappy music is simply unheard of.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I will say this game was entertaining. I was able to try it out at a buddies house, but at the same time I found nothing that drew me away from Dirt 2, NFS Shift or Burnout Paradise (in that order) enough to spend another $50 on a racing game. Blur looks like it might be decent too...but I wonder if it's gonna meet the same "meh" response from me.

I'm also the guy waiting for Forza and Gran Turismo to hit PC, Burnout made it dammit! But I must admit, with some friends online Shift and Dirt 2 are a blast...and really I won't touch many racing games unless it catches my clan's attention due to the fact that they're that much less fun in SP and MP with people you don't know can only be so good because of exploiters, cheaters and crazy 10-year olds that have yet to figure out how to use mommy and daddy's credit card for said exploit but still are crazy good! lol!

This game is good, but it's bargain bin good...not new-game-priced good overall. As Ford put it, overall it feels second rate overall, so if it was $20 or $25 now it'd have a better chance...as it stands I'll wait till I see it on Steam for a helluva deal or forget about it. Glad I got to try it out...sad it wasn't something worth wanting asap.

Lol, you're missing the whole point of word "variety". In NFS:MW you technically have 3 different themes. City downtown, city central and suburbs. And a highway part if you want. In Split Second you have:
Airport Terminal
City downtown
Power plant
Dry docks
Construction yard
Airplane graveyard

And i probably forgot few completely different tracks. Some parts of tracks are shared between them like in NFS3. The same as we could talk about variety in NFS3 and NFS5. You had a small town with countryside track, then you could drive a similar track with snowy theme, a desert track, high tech city Atlantica and Aquatica that is very similar, only that you also go beyond the city to the seaside cliffs. Green and twisted Rocky Pass track with high elevation changes, dark Empire City and extreme The Summit. Or tracks in NFS5 like Corsica, Monaco, Alps, Normandie etc... That's variety. Something you cannot ever achieve in open world. Unless you make a freak of everything track which no one made so far.

As for the exploding everything in front of you, you're again missing the whole point of the game.
The game is presented as TV show. You even have Seasons for each segment of the game.
Tracks are designed to blow up for the show, explosives are planted everywhere. That's the point of the game. Maybe there is a commentator missing while driving but then again, it could get annoying if there was one. As for the music, it's there but it doesn't stand out in any way.
But then again i hate EA Trax shit. Some tracks are good but most are just stupid commercial crap.
I want my pre EA Trax music from NFS's back. I don't get it why they aren't working with Romolo di Prisco anymore. He's the real mastermind of racing music. The menu music from NFS3 still makes my skin crawl every time i hear it. Generic usual music cannot ever be better than music specifically made for the game. It just can't. Anyway, the music could be better but it's not annoying either. It's more in the background anyway as they push destruction sounds more in the front.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Lol, you're missing the whole point of word "variety". In NFS:MW you technically have 3 different themes. City downtown, city central and suburbs. And a highway part if you want. In Split Second you have:
Airport Terminal
City downtown
Power plant
Dry docks
Construction yard
Airplane graveyard
Again, I have to disagree. NFS:MW has industrial areas, switch backs, multi-lane highways, country roads, off-road sections, canyon-like areas, and pretty much everything else. When it comes down to it, racing is about two things: I can drive here and I can't drive here. Where you can drive can have an impact on gameplay (e.g. loose gravel, wet, dry, blindspots, etc.). Where you can't drive falls under eye candy (which I generally couldn't care less about).

As for the exploding everything in front of you, you're again missing the whole point of the game.
The game is presented as TV show. You even have Seasons for each segment of the game.
How, exactly, does that entertain an avid gamer? I'll answer for you: It doesn't.

FYI, I found the music annoying. It sounds about as alive as a zombie.

I'm not saying it is a horrible game because it is not (Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, anyone?). I am saying this game is nothing to get excited about. There's far better racing games out there (namely Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights and Need for Speed: Most Wanted). They are both similar in their own ways (HIN has the straight-forwardness tuner fast paced racing action while MW has the destruction) but they individually focused on gameplay which put them on a pedestal (HIN has driver DNA while MW has the rap sheet).

And how does entertain a horde of piss dumb cops that you smash through like a Goliath truck through a cardboard house? I was running around highway for 50 minutes, evading cops over and over and over. Then i stopped because i got bored. It's fun at the beginning but gets repeating quick.

Everyone has it's own taste but i can see why you don't like it. You like Juiced. Which is horrific boring game. Sure the cars feel realistic but the game is just plain boring to death.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Yeah.. not that much impressed also. Back to finishing Dirt 2 for moi.

They should make an Interstate 76' remake.. one with realistic car handling and sick updated graphics. would sell better.

D

DreamSeller

hmm i didn't like it very much... i didn't research much but i read somewhere that its a beta version...

The game even if beta, works far better than most of other junk released as final.
I've also noticed that ppl just aren't used to true arcade racing games anymore. You know, the ones that dominated PC's 10-15 years ago. I must be getting really old already...

One thing's for sure. The reason why ppl don't like it is that there is no stupid car pimping and that cars in the beginning are much slower than later on. That's why most of ppl give up even before they can taste the real carnage. Imo.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
and im going to buy this as i notice an update for this game which removes the 30 fps cap :)

I have looked around and see no evidence of this patch that removes the 30FPS cap. Could you please provide a link?

TVman

Processor E8400 3.6 ghz
Memory 4 GB
Video Card(s) HD4850 512 MB
Storage 250 GB
Software win 7 64bit
there wont be a patch what removes the 30fps cap coz it is HARDCODED to the game engine

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
there wont be a patch what removes the 30fps cap coz it is HARDCODED to the game engine

Reminds me a lot of UT3, where the engine has a lot of command switches for the Consoles in the PC game actually.