1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SPORE: Can I copy and save just one planet from one pc to another?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Black Panther, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

May 30, 2007
    8,866 (2.58/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I have the game installed on both desktop pc and laptop.

On the desktop I have played on one planet only and am in the space stage.
    On the laptop I have also played one planet only (a different one) and am in the civilization stage.

I know I can save the game from one pc to another by copying the file from MyDocuments, but that way I would be losing my progress on one planet.

What I would like to do is to 'amalgamate' so that I have exactly the same game on both desktop and laptop, i.e. 2 planets played.

Is there a way to do this please, or am I just racking my brains and googling for nothing? :)
  2. Sasqui

Dec 6, 2005
    8,706 (2.19/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Manchester, NH
    I looked and the bad news, this is the only specific information I could find:

"At the moment, there are no ways to import/export entire planets. Vu said they currently consider them as an instance and, should the dev team make them transferable entitites in the future, they want to make sure they get it right."

This is from a July 08 article, so perhaps they've done it, I don't know :(

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Katanai

Mar 15, 2008
    1,030 (0.33/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. You can not combine two different saves into one. It may be possible to import creatures, or it should be, I never tried this game.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Oct 13, 2008
    18,677 (6.37/day)
    Thanks Received:
    IA, USA
    I wouldn't say its impossible but there is no easy way to do it. You'd have to break down the save format and find the information related to a specific planet then copy/paste that to the table in your other save without losing referential intregrity of the file. In other words, the only way it is likely to happen is if Maxis adds it.

I somehow doubt they will make planets transferrable in the near future because every planet is very similar to the next. If they make them have more of an identity (imagine the world being like a mini-game of SimCity for instance), it is likely they would make it transferable.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU