1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ssd bsod on startup then dies

Discussion in 'Storage' started by dom99, Mar 26, 2012.

1. dom99

Thanks Received:
    Hi all

Thought I would take the plunge and get an intel 520 240gb drive to speed my system up.

Came to install it today and here is what I did

Firstly I have a dell studio xps 435mt where in the bios it only has 2 options for hdd, either ATA mode or RAID mode. I set the bios to raid even though I was only using one drive because I thought this would enable AHCI and use TRIM plus you don't need to set up an array when using RAID.

So I then used my win7 upgrade disc to install win7 planning to do the registry work around when the drive booted so that I could register it.

Anyway installed new drive but on the first restart. Before even naming the computer it gave me a bsod and again rebooted. It restarted and I was then able to continue installation so I went right through set up and ended up at the desktop. It then connected to the Internet and automatically started downloading windows updates (5 of them) and asked for a reboot so I did.

On reboot it loaded windows but at the login screen the display went black but the mouse was still viewable. I then typed in my password (not knowing what I was doing with a black screen) and it logged me in to a clear desktop with no windows bar or icons. No functions were working so I did a hard shutdown and started again to have the same thing happen every time.

I then put in installation disk and it wouldn't repair so I deleted the install (20gb) and started again. The same thing happened except with more bsods.

I don't know what to do, was it my fault by having a single drive in raid setting? Any ideas guys before I return the drive for being duff

Ps I have all the latest bios and chipset updates. The drive booted to a black screen only after the first 5 windows updates

2. WarDad New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your confusing things by doing too much at once.
    Intel SSD are good, but a defective few can cause BSOD.
    Runing Raid on one drive.. how did you get this far?
    ATA is likely AHCI in Dells simplistic bios, besides you don't have much choice.

Tst the SSD for Non Raid HDD
    1. Put your HDD back in with the OS on it and use ATA.
    2. Now install your SSD as a second drive and be prepared to test it.
    3. Test it with OS, and Intel SSD programs. So far so good?
    4. Look for free benchmark programs. CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, HD tach. Still good?
    5. Use it for a while as a second drive. Put you favorite game on it and play it for days.
    If the BSOD comes back then RMA it.

If your Dell came with raid HDD.
    You may be out of luck.
    Are you sure you can put them back in again without data loss?
    Intel and Marvell SATA controllers are typically all Raid or no Raid.
    Hopefully, they have a second SATA controller and you can do both.

I could run W7-64 Raid on my storage drives and boot from the SSD using Intel chip set SATA.

3. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to run my SSD in AHCI mode. My motherboard only has two options either ATA or RAID. The ATA option is IDE mode only.

I did some reading on the internet and it seemed to me that putting the BIOS into RAID before installing the OS and not creating an array but using it as a single drive meant that the drive ran in ACHI mode and TRIM would also work.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I thought this was possible.

4. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Running a single drive in RAID mode shouldn't be an issue, I actually have an old Dell Dimension E520 running in RAID mode with a single HDD.

Unfortunately your SSD uses the SF-2281 controller that was giving so many people hell last year, SandForce did release a firmware update which did improve the stability of the drives, so now only a few get issues, and Intel actually uses their own modified firmware which they claim is more stable than the one used by other SF-2281 drives.

Try the drive in another system if it works fine then it may be a compatibility issue with your system and the drive, if it has the same problem then the drive may just be defective, you could also try adjusting power settings in Windows, and disabling Hot Swap in BIOS if the option is available.

5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Do you have another computer available to test it with? The SSD could be faulty, but a lot of what I've been reading says that your machine doesn't support AHCI which could be problematic for the SSD, so it is worth exploring.

6. dom99

Thanks Received:
    I RMAed the drive, got a refund and got the Samsung 830 instead as it was much cheaper anyway plus you get the extra 16gb of space.
    It is now installed and working great, I made a new installation DVD for the Samsung drive so it is possible that the other one had. Peripteral over the last year since I last used it.

All in all very happy with it, just got to install some games and I'm ready to roll

7. WarDad New Member

Thanks Received:
    NCQ is part of the AHCI spec, but started as a seperate spec. It's what gives 4K random Queue Depth 32 more MB/s vs. 4K random (CrystalDiskmark 3). Your DELL may implement most of the AHCI Spec, in ATA mode. RAID mode may not be passing the Trim command.

8. bukaneri New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm reading and I have the same problem. Let's see if I understand (my level of English is rather low).
    I have a Studio XPS 435, the BIOS is locked and I want to install an SSD OCZ.

I put the BIOS in RAID 0.
    Install the SSD in SATA 0.
    Install windows 7 on the SSD.

dom99, tell me if it's working properly, or if you had any problems, please.