• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD clone issues with Space

bloodsoup0311

Good Afternoon everyone

so my SSD drive was starting to get full it has 128gb capacity. I decided to upgrade to a 500gb i found on newegg for a decent price. I used the paragon ssd clone program and everything transferred succesfully. Then i changed the boot order in my start up and menu and have succfully removed my old ssd and and running on the new one. My issue is when i check my disk space for the new SSD it is still showing me the old SSD and saying it is almost full. Did i miss a step somewhere? Has anyone else had this happen?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Clone makes 1 to 1 copy
your need to use windows disk managment to extend partition from current size to full disk size

This is true for Paragon, because it is pretty garbage software, but other cloning software automatically adjust the partition to fill the drive.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
This is true for Paragon, because it is pretty garbage software, but other cloning software automatically adjust the partition to fill the drive.
yea sounds like it either A: didn't do it cause it can't or B: it asked you if you wanted to resize them and they didn't tell it to. I never used paragon before so don't if it can't or he/she just clicked no when asked. I used Acronis and it did it just fine both ways.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member

Paragon is not "pretty garbage software". Paragon can extend a partition to fill a drive, just like Acronis and others. I have both installed on my systems, and both are capable at what they do.
The majority of the drive management software are the same underneath; and, have different UIs.

I do use both, however, it is just me... I prefer the layout in Paragon's.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Paragon is not "pretty garbage software". Paragon can extend a partition to fill a drive, just like Acronis and others. I have both installed on my systems, and both are capable at what they do.
The majority of the drive management software are the same underneath; and, have different UIs.

And don't it give the the option how to clone too, as i remember not having spare space when i have cloned drives just need to pick the right options.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
And don't it give the the option how to clone too, as i remember not having spare space when i have cloned drives just need to pick the right options.

Yes, it does.

From the help file of Paragon's Hard Disk Manager:

Copy Operations
Hard drive duplication nowadays is becoming highly popular among PC users. That is due to some definite advantages it can offer. First of all, many people clone hard disks just to back up data for security reasons. The present day copy utilities enable to successfully transfer all on-disk information including standard bootstrap code and other system service structures, thus maintaining the operating system’s working capability. In case of a system malfunction, the user can get the system back on track in minutes. No additional configuration is required, what is very convenient.

The second possible application is the upgrade of a hard disk to a new one. The capacity of a modern hard drive doubles every two years, thus opening up new possibilities for software developers. As a result programs become more complicated and require considerable amount of free space. One day the user realizes that there is no more free space left on the hard disk and the only way out is to upgrade. Usually that means that besides purchasing a new hard disk, the user is to face a large re-installation procedure spanning several days of tedious work. But all of this can be avoided just by copying the contents of the old hard disk to a new one proportionally resizing the partitions.

And the last but not least is the copying of hard disks for cloning purposes. It may be of great use when setting up similar computers. There is no need for a system administrator to install an operating system from scratch on every one of them. It is enough just to configure one and then clone it to the others.

How to page at Paragon: How to Copy Hard Disk

You can clone a hard disk of any file system. During the hard disk copying process, the program moves controlling records of used partitioning scheme, the bootstrap code and on-disk partitions. That’s why this operation cannot be substituted by simply copying all on-disk partitions.

Resize options
– Remove free blocks between partitions not to keep blocks of free space between partitions on the targeted hard disk.
– Copy data and resize partitions proportionally to make the program proportionally change the size of partitions keeping their relative order intact. The option can be useful when upgrading the hard disk to a larger one.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Acronis does it all automatically, and gives the option to do everything manually if you want. Paragon does have the ability to resize partitions(big whoop, disk manager does that and it's built into Windows) but Paragon doesn't do anything automatically. It's a pain in the ass to use compared to Acronis. And last time I used Paragon, about a year ago, you couldn't even clone from a larger drive to a smaller drive, because it can't automatically resize partitions during the cloning process. Also, Paragon only has the ability to resize partitions if you buy additional software, just like Acronis. You either have to have the Drive Manager Suite or the Partition Manger software. If you just have Drive Copy, you can't resize partitions. At least with Acronis True Image, it will resize the partitions automatically for you while cloning without any extra software(Disk Director).

So, yes, from my experience with it, it is pretty garbage software. Maybe in the past year they've made Drive Copy much better, but it was junk when I had used it.

Yes, it does.

From the help file of Paragon's Hard Disk Manager:

How to page at Paragon: How to Copy Hard Disk

Thing is, I don't think they've actually implemented the partition resizing function into the Drive Copy software, only Disk Manager(because it includes both the cloning and partition resizing features). If you go to the help section for Drive Copy, they even still have an article for how to clone an OS drive to a smaller SSD. Their solution is a laughable "make the OS partition smaller using Windows Disk Management before cloning".:laugh:

[Issue] Cannot migrate OS to smaller SSD

So, yeah, their software, even according to their own help articles, can't even manage the simple task of cloning a bigger HDD to a smaller SSD on its own. Something I've done probably hundreds of times with Acronis True Image...

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I respect your opinion and choice.

Yes, I have Paragon's Hard Disk Manager and Acronis Disk Director. And, they cost about the same and have the same functions.
Also, Paragon does have the ability to clone to a smaller size.
Yep, Windows Disk management does a lot.
And, Drive Copy is for the people who don't want a full suite software, such as is, Paragon's Hard Disk Manger or Acronis's Disk Director.

You are stating your opinion "pretty garbage software" and I am stating mine, it is good and full functioning software, not garbage.
And, Acronis is not garbage, either.