1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ssd lost performance over time

Discussion in 'Storage' started by LittleLizard, May 30, 2009.

1. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
  2. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Aye SSDs do lose performance over time, however there is a lot of controvecy over that techreport article since their benchmarks of used ssd's are far worse than other techsite's benchmarks of used ssd's (such as anandtech). They are using southbridge drivers which were pointed out to have issues with certain write situations and their benchmark of all ssd's had all ssd's slower than normal hdds at booting up - which looking at which ssd's they were testing seems incorrect.

Other tech sites also report a loss in performance on used ssd's but not as severe as techreport is saying, plus the fact techreport's numbers are significantly off sites such as anandtech's numbers where both sites put the ssd's into a used state for some testing. I'm taking these results with a pinch of salt until techreport re-test on a more modern system.

3. runnin17

runnin17

Thanks Received:
    I thought the fact that SSD's lost performance over time had something to do with the SSD's architecture. Something about MLC vs. SLC. With SLC not losing performance, but MLC losing performance. That is why the SLC drives are more expensive. I don't know for sure, but that is just what my impression was.

4. Dia01

Dia01

Thanks Received:
    This is a good read regarding SSD's:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

OCZ forums discussing the software TRIM:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54373

I have updated my vertex to v1.10 which supports TRIM. There is also some discussion on using CCleaner's 'wipe free space' which I have also tried. Although I did not benchamark before and after it did seem to improve performance a little. I am also currently using 'Wiper 525' application at the moment offered at the OCZ forums

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    It is because of how it stores data. It is not mechanical. All you have to do is format and reinstall and it would go like new.