• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD Power Usage

I recently bought some SSD's to use as usb storage media for my media player. 'Wall wart' power supply is 5v 2 amps. Looking at specs, the SSD's power consumption is (for three of 'em) 1.5, (2), & 1.65 amps. All that power going through the player, (Micca) seems a lot. I dont think the ssd's use any power till they are accessed, but videos are accessed continously while viewing. Could this be a problem?

2½" hdds use around 0.5 amps ±, 1/3 less.

I am now considering using them as 'C:\' - 'os' drives. They are 250 ± gig drives, WD, Patriot, & Sandisk.
I have several identical computers, & installed os & software on a 120g hdd, which I used to clone to 500g hdds,whenever one system crashes or hdd dies I have simply cloned the 120 to a larger drive, multiple times I might add.
Would this work with an ssd if all files graphic & video be on a D or E (etc.) drive? As I understand it, ssds die from being written to much more than simply being read from. Is this so?

People here seem to know much more than me, so, I ask, , , ,

-corne-

(I be 72 in 2 weeks! cranky old man!)

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
First, Happy Birthday in advance ;)

Second, I'm surprised that SSD's use more power than HDD's, I never looked up specs, just assumed they used less!

Third, I know there are a limited number of read-write cycles in an SSD, but what I don't know... is if there is a limited number of read-only cycles. That's to your question about accessing video files.

Fourth... an SSD is great for an OS drive due to it's speed. Booting is so much faster. If I read correctly, you're planning the opposite?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
It depends on the capacity and number of NAND flash chips, but usually it's no more than 700mA max for intensive write operations (that's for very-very old SSDs).
Intensive multi-GB reads are only around half that, and normal low-intensity use keeps the SSD under 1W average (or almost 0W for modern disks).
There's a good chart for reference:
https://us.hardware.info/reviews/77...s-guide-69-sata-ssds-review-power-consumption

With HDDs you use power when spindle is spinning, so regardless of the workload intensity you'll be using approximately the same amount of power from the time your disk spins up to the time it goes idle (not idle per-se, but put to sleep/standby by your media player). Random reads will add a bit more to that.
Modern laptop HDDs have a moderate power draw, which usually sits around 400-500mA, but you have to remember that this is going to be essentially a continuous draw. Variable speed drives and SSHDs are a bit more efficient, but still cannot beat SSDs in overall power consumption.

Either way, generic 5V 2A chargers are crap, so just in case I'd replace it with a beefier 5V 4A power supply, or replace it with a mediocre QuickCharge adapter (cause those can normally handle 2A or more at 5V without exploding). The rest shouldn't be that bad. If that media player is built to spec, it should handle 500mA per USB port no problem which should be enough for either HDDs or SSDs.
Back in a day I bought an old linear 5V 4A PSU (just a wall plug with transformer, bridge and filter ) for my cubieboard 3 w/ SATA drive. Right now it powers my OrangePi and an old ASUS router 24/7.

Sasqui, I too was surprised about the power usage. The Sandisk power spec is printed on back, 1.6 a. I emailed them & they said their drives are not intended to be used as usb cased drives. They did say 'no read/write', no power usage.

I want to use it/them (ssds) as operating sys (C:\) drives. I use graphics software with this computer, almost exclusivly. I wondered if the software should be installed on the second, hard disk drive instead of installed on the ssd. On some s/w, there is/was an option of where to install it. I dont know how much writing gets done with the s/w whether on C or working (E-F-whatever,) hdd drive.

I do know that WD 2½" hdds use less than most other brands, toshiba fujitsu etc.

silentbogo,
WD Blue 2½" hdds have (or had) built in, after 7 (or around 7) seconds of inactivity, they spin down, & no power usage then, used to annoy me. On the WD usb drives there is/was s/w to turn this off, but not on internals.

My issue is not with the power supply, but if the ssd did use 1.6 a, that would go through the player to supply power to it, (ssd). The Micca is about 2" x 2" sq & ½" thick. That 1.6 a goes through it. I would hate to fry it!

This Micca is pretty nifty!:

https://www.miccatron.com/micca-mplay-hd-mini-1080p-digital-media-player/

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
silentbogo,
WD Blue 2½" hdds have (or had) built in, after 7 (or around 7) seconds of inactivity, they spin down, & no power usage then, used to annoy me. On the WD usb drives there is/was s/w to turn this off, but not on internals.
Which SSD model(s) do you have? Is it Ultra or Extreme that has 1.6A, I don't remember...

The 120's are 'WD1200BEVS-08US' "5VDC----0.55A" (label)

I bought 2 lots of 5 from ebay for $6 each, they were from Lenovo laptops.

Also bought: 'WD800BEVT-75ZCT2 80 gig 5VDC : 0.55A' (label). ebay $5 ea for a lot of 8. Dont know where these came from.

These drives are much faster to clone to larger drives & simple to resize partition to make use of all of larger drives.

I cloned my ssd.
(What I have first! desktop, 4 sata ports 0-1-2-3, sata 1 is cdrom, 3 sata ports connected to external [swappable] drive bay trays, XP 64 bit)
The ssd works fine! Like a rocket! I am impressed!
Some wierd things tho. Always, the hdd's will boot from any sata port/tray, the ssd only will boot from one port/tray. Additionally, the ssd does not show up in bios. Ssd does not show up in boot menu either.
Bios boot order only lists hdd-cdrom-removeable storage [usb], does not specify any particular hdd in boot order. (I think the ssd boots only from port 3)
Hdd in any tray always shows up in bios & boot menu.

What would cause these anomolies/issues?

I prefer ssd to be in a particular tray, I could/prolly will switch sata cables on the mobo to get what I want, but, what is going on?

-c-

girdap

I have a different issue, I just bought a sandisk ssda240g for replacing my notebook drive. I was surprised when I see the back label power consumption is 1.5A. I have cloned original drive then problems start. My notebook's original drive has only 700mah consumption.(back label). SSD speed is impressive and makes my notebook fly but I realized my usb ports not working anymore. I have several external usb drives (getting their power from usb port) now none of them working. When I connect them to ports they first seen on explorer then 2 seconds later disconnected, 2 seconds later reconnect.... There is no end.... I have to disconnect usb drives for avoiding further damage. Now I returned my old drive and there is no problem. I have read so many articles but nobody seems to be faced such a problem.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It is obviously going to depend a lot on what drive you use. But I have an SSD in an enclosure, and a 2.5" HDD in the same model enclosure. The SSD when idle only use 0.13A, and when in use copying files uses 0.33A. The HDD idle uses 0.46A, copying files it goes up to 0.60A with spikes as high as 0.70A.

I think the HDD actually uses way more than that when it initially spins up, but my power meter is not fast enough to catch it. I say this, because I plug the drives into a mini-PC that I use as an HTPC when I'm traveling. The mini-PC has a 3A@5v wallwort. When I plug the SSD in, everything is fine. However, when I plug the HDD in, the initial spin up draws so much power that the PC instantly powers off. Oddly, the USB ports still get power, so the drive stays spun up and I can power the computer right back on and it works fine, even with the HDD plugged in and being accessed.

stuartiannaylor

Does anyone know what ampage they pull from the 5v & 12v lines?

I have a 12v RockPro64 where I have used 3amp tiny 5v buck regulators to power a string of 4 as hoping it will not pull solely from 5v.

POWER CONSUMPTION
Power Management 5V Power Consumption (mW)
120GB - Read 1,265, Write 1,705, Idle 320
240GB - Read 1,280, Write 2,680, Idle 315
480GB - Read 1,270, Write 2,570, Idle 315
960GB - Read 1,620, Write 1,750, Idle 340

It would seem all from 5v and maybe a tad more than many expect.
SSD don't spin up and that was where HD had massive power pull so its true that SSD take much less power but in read/write might actually take more.