• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD Prices in Free-Fall: The Next DRAM?

Awesome, a 120GB drive that I can't install even a fraction of my games and programs on, what a great help that would be! Yeah, I can spend $150 to shave 15 seconds off my boot time! That is totally worth the money.:rolleyes:

And I suggest you try some more modern games before saying a GTX560ti can handle them. Just go look at some video card reviews, W1z's review has a fair share of games that even the GTX570 can't handle at 1900x1200, even without using max settings. Alan Wake, Alien vs. Predator, Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Dragon Age II, Shogun 2, Skyrim, and those are just the ones in his review, I've got several more install right now that a GTX560ti couldn't handle at 1900x1200.

And after the ~30 second Windows boot time on my mechanical drive, all of my programs load in under 5 seconds thanks to Windows Superfetch, so an SSD is pretty useless unless you are using it to load games faster, and since I can't fit all of the games I play regularly on a 120GB drive $150 for an SSD would be useless.

You must have a lot of time on your hands because most everyone here probably doesn't have 5 games+ installed at the same time. What are you going to do after you completed a game? Leave there and look at it?

I have RAID 0 with 3 and 5 drives even with superfetch it's no where near SSD.

My friend's GTX460 can play ALL of the games you listed with high or medium setting. You're exaggerating. Turn off the AA and every game gains 20% FPS.

You completely missed my points too. People don't spend all of their time playing game. An SSD will give a more overall performance boosts for the system while a vga card will only help games.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You must have a lot of time on your hands because most everyone here probably doesn't have 5 games+ installed at the same time. What are you going to do after you completed a game? Leave there and look at it?

No, I tend to play games with replay value. I also don't have a lot of time to play games, being an adult with a life and a job and a family to support. So I tend to play an hour at most a day, and I don't play the same game constantly, I get board with the same game. So I tend to have 10+ games installs and be in the middle of playing each. I don't play one game until the game is done and then move to the next.

Even without Superfetch, everything on my system loads in under a second, even games. I double click the game icon, and I'm at the opening credits in under a second. Everything on my system is virtually instant, even things that I havn't opened in months, this didn't improve in any noticeable way with an SSD. Literally the only improvement I saw with an SSD inside of Windows was when I first clicked on the folder I keep on the desktop with all my game and program shortcuts in it after a reboot. Because all the icons have to be pulled from each program, it would take about 10 seconds for it to fully load and allow me to click on the icons, with the SSD it took about 2 seconds. However, this was only the very first time I open the folder after a reboot, after that the icon cache was in place and it opens instantly. There was no way that one improvement was worth the $200 I paid for my SSD.

My friend's GTX460 can play ALL of the games you listed with high or medium setting. You're exaggerating. Turn off the AA and every game gains 20% FPS.

No, I'm not exaggerating at all. If a GTX570 can't play those games smoothly at 60FPS a GTX460 can't. You are just trying to change your statement because you know it was wrong. You said every game out there at max settings, you were the one exaggerating. Now you want to change it to medium settings with no AA? Sorry, but no. I could play most games on low with an 8800GT, but I don't want to. I'm not even opposed to lowering a few settings, but to have to go down to medium settings with no AA to be playable isn't what I want to do. And sacrificing that for mostly unnoticeable performance improvements in other areas outside of games is dumb.

You completely missed my points too. People don't spend all of their time playing game. An SSD will give a more overall performance boosts for the system while a vga card will only help games.

No, you missed mine, it isn't even about games, it is about the fact that in everything other than games there is no real noticeable performance improvement with an SSD(again except faster Windows boot times). And SSD improves load times, Windows boots faster and games load faster, beyond that there isn't a whole lot that an SSD improves. Every other function of Windows 7 is instant. Programs load instantly when launched, menus come up instantly, everything is pretty much instant, an SSD just doesn't improve performance nearly as much as you claim.

But I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You can believe what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: w3b

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
newtekie: i agree with your arguments, and that its not valid for your setup.

however, SSD's are certainly viable for HTPC's (no noise), and laptops (less fragile, faster can equal more power savings since the drive idles more).

I certainly noticed speed increases when i had my SSD, its just that it was never that big a deal. i use S3 sleep, so i had no long load times, no caches to rebuild, etc.

SSD's are getting better value, so now more people want them. its that simple.

No, you missed mine, it isn't even about games, it is about the fact that in everything other than games there is no real noticeable performance improvement with an SSD(again except faster Windows boot times). And SSD improves load times, Windows boots faster and games load faster, beyond that there isn't a whole lot that an SSD improves. Every other function of Windows 7 is instant. Programs load instantly when launched, menus come up instantly, everything is pretty much instant, an SSD just doesn't improve performance nearly as much as you claim.

And this is the problem everyone is having with your argument there IS a noticeable improvement in overall system response and speed not just windows boot and game load times times, also we are talking about a single HDD versus a single SSD no raid involved. That's also something that i don't know? at least 90% if not all hardware review sites agree with?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
newtekie: i agree with your arguments, and that its not valid for your setup.

however, SSD's are certainly viable for HTPC's (no noise), and laptops (less fragile, faster can equal more power savings since the drive idles more).

I certainly noticed speed increases when i had my SSD, its just that it was never that big a deal. i use S3 sleep, so i had no long load times, no caches to rebuild, etc.

SSD's are getting better value, so now more people want them. its that simple.

I can certainly agree with some of that, especially with laptops. SSDs do use less power, produce less heat, and are less fragile, but they aren't really giving that much of a performance boost there. But Kid was talking just about the performance an SSD gives.

I don't think an SSD is worth the price in a HTPC. My HTPC uses a completely silent 5400RPM laptop drive, or at least it is silent from my couch, and since I'm using sleep load times aren't anything to worry about.

I never said there weren't other benefits to SSDs, I just said they weren't worth the prices they currently go for, the benefits don't justify the cost in most cases and the money can usually be spent better elsewhere. A laptop is a different story, since there usually isn't a whole lot of other places to put the money. But even still, if I had to pick between two laptops, one with a SSD and the other with a higher resolution screen, I'm taking the higher resolution screen(and yes, I just had to make this decision).

araditus

I can concur with newtekie1 I almost bought an SSD with my last system, but then I bought 4 640bg WD Blacks for the same price (at the time) as a 256gb SSD, I have 12x the space, more proven reliability, and I agree with him that once windows is loaded (bare mine still only takes 13.6 seconds) that every game, program I open I can count to no more than 3 mississippi.

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
I'm going to get a second Samsung 830 256gb for £140 and raid them

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I'm getting the Samsung 830 128GB SSD.... I've decided. would get the 256 but it would make me have to wait 1 or even 2 more months... this windows install is getting slow and i'd rather just start fresh on a new drive....

Wake me up when you can get a +500gb SSD for around $100.

In the meantime i'm perfectly fine pushing the start button on my computer and then reaching for a nice cold beverage to take a zip from, Ahh, Windows is done loading.:toast:

Gsa700

Do you guys all really boot up this often? My machines all run 24/7, what is the point of shutting it off every time you are done using it? Just curious.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

Really? because im pretty sure I have close to 20 games installed all at the same time, right now

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only

You've got some points, but I also think you have to take a look at the variety of programs people are running. A prime example is GIMP/Photoshop. These programs will not load instantly on an HDD, but are darn near instant on with a SSD. Antivirus scans that used to take a few minutes now finish in less than 1min. Even simple productivity apps like Office (one of my most used software suites) opens so fast I don't even see the splash screen. Windows Updates get a huge boost, and thats something everyone has to go through. I don't know why its so slow on a mech drive, but on with the SSD the updates finish very quickly.

While some of the improvements indeed only shave seconds or fractions of seconds, I don't think that even the perceived performance boost is something we should dismiss.

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
Give me 256Gb for $100 and i'll go for it...until then, no thanks.

And I'm still not convinced of their reliability, many forums i visit seem full of people having problems with them.

hm reminds me of the other day with my Samsung 256gb ssd, i tried to boot up 3 times and then when i did my log on account had gone along-side my google chrome, and all my links :mad:
it would only log me into a temp account :banghead: so it's been formatted since and had a firmware update

not put win 7 back on it yet:twitch:

as for the price i paid £300 for it or 467.65 US dollars, now a few months after buying it it's gone down to £209.99 or 327.34 US dollars :cry::(

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
You've got some points, but I also think you have to take a look at the variety of programs people are running. A prime example is GIMP/Photoshop. These programs will not load instantly on an HDD, but are darn near instant on with a SSD.

Photoshop and Premiere load in under a second after I launch them, though I haven't tried GIMP(I have Photoshop so no need for GIMP). So yes, on an HDD they do load darn near instantly. Don't believe me? See Here. Seriously, it doesn't get much faster, with my SSD I noticed no difference when launching these programs.

Antivirus scans that used to take a few minutes now finish in less than 1min.

Your virus scans should be running when you aren't using the computer, and if you are using a good AV it doesn't matter if it runs when you are using the computer, because it shouldn't be noticeable.

Even simple productivity apps like Office (one of my most used software suites) opens so fast I don't even see the splash screen.

I see the splash screen with Office apps, I do admit, but they open fast enough that the splash screen doesn't even get to load fully before the app opens, so I think I can save the $150 and deal with seeing the splash screen for a fraction of a second...

Windows Updates get a huge boost, and thats something everyone has to go through. I don't know why its so slow on a mech drive, but on with the SSD the updates finish very quickly.

We it actually makes since, because Windows Updates are usually accessing a large number of different small files, where an SSD shines. But Windows Updates don't bother me with a mechanical hard drive, they are set to install automatically while I'm at work. I honestly can't tell you the last time an update was applied when I was on the computer. So I'll save the $150 and just install the updates when I'm not on the computer.

While some of the improvements indeed only shave seconds or fractions of seconds, I don't think that even the perceivedperformance boost is something we should dismiss.

I do.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Do you guys all really boot up this often? My machines all run 24/7, what is the point of shutting it off every time you are done using it? Just curious.

noise, power, heat.

i use S3 sleep rather than shutting it off, however.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Looks like it comes down to whether or not users think its a worthwhile upgrade for them. Its definitely worth it to me, so I guess I'll just enjoy the luxury. Thanks for throwing that video together, that is remarkably fast- my F1 drive never came close to opening PS with that speed and its not a slow drive by any means.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Looks like it comes down to whether or not users think its a worthwhile upgrade for them. Its definitely worth it to me, so I guess I'll just enjoy the luxury. Thanks for throwing that video together, that is remarkably fast- my F1 drive never came close to opening PS with that speed and its not a slow drive by any means.

I found an older video I did the includes InDesign and Word and Excel, Word and Excel open instantly, the video barely even catchs the splash screen.

I actually do turn mine off every day. Generally I turn it on when I get home from work, and turn it off when I go to sleep, and on my days off I turn it on in the morning and off at night. I don't turn it off every time I'm not using it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i like that the price is coming down rapidly now. i dont plan on making any big upgrades in the near future since my rig can easily play any game without any issue and the vga is the most expensive component in my machine. however, it seems like for $150 i will see vast improvements for everything else running a SSD since i currently just have a single 500 gb drive.

No, I'm not exaggerating at all. If a GTX570 can't play those games smoothly at 60FPS a GTX460 can't. You are just trying to change your statement because you know it was wrong. You said every game out there at max settings, you were the one exaggerating. Now you want to change it to medium settings with no AA? Sorry, but no. I could play most games on low with an 8800GT, but I don't want to. I'm not even opposed to lowering a few settings, but to have to go down to medium settings with no AA to be playable isn't what I want to do. And sacrificing that for mostly unnoticeable performance improvements in other areas outside of games is dumb.

All your statements are based on your own experiences on your own machine.

And the fact that you're running RAID0 don't really demonstrate what others non-SSD users are experiencing on a SPINNING HDD either. Still, the more HDDs in raid the more delay you will have (access time). Games don't need massive bandwidth to load quickly. They need low access time, but SSD has both anyway.

Maybe you don't really play many multiplayer games with a lot of loading between matches, so a few seconds don't really bother you, but you're now the minority. Everything new that's coming out have mutliplayer component. Every match requires loading.

Without Windows nothing can run. Windows runs faster = programs itself run faster. I don't even need to mention the faster access time and higher bandwidth of the ssd.

I'm not exactly stupid to spend $250 (now it's just $150 and even faster) for an SSD that provides little performance. I did my homework. My SSD gives me more than what I expected, and I also had 5 HDDs in RAID0 before (now I have 3). I moved from that and I'm still impressed.

You're the only one who came back to spinning HDD after trying SSD as far as I know, and probably the only one in existence.

I only disagree with you and in your 1st post you called me delusional.

I had respects for you. Now it's lost. Your opinions are so strong you can't take anything else in.

Gotta empty your cup old man.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You're the only one who came back to spinning HDD after trying SSD as far as I know, and probably the only one in existence.

I had respects for you. Now it's lost. Your opinions are so strong you can't take anything else in.

nope, i went back to spinners. my SSD gave me lots of performance issues before it died, and i'm not willing to go through that again.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
All your statements are based on your own experiences on your own machineS.

FTFY

And the fact that you're running RAID0 don't really demonstrate what others non-SSD users are experiencing on a SPINNING HDD either. Still, the more HDDs in raid the more delay you will have (access time). Games don't need massive bandwidth to load quickly. They need low access time, but SSD has both anyway.

Try reading the system specs and sig again, the RAID0 is a data drive. That rig has a single HDD that has the OS and all the programs installed on it. And that isn't even my main rig, my main rig is running RAID5 with a single OS drive, it is even labeled that way. Not hard to figure out.

And about games, Deus Ex is one of the worst games with load times, and it literally takes 16 seconds to load from the main menu to playing the game. I can wait.

Maybe you don't really play many multiplayer games with a lot of loading between matches, so a few seconds don't really bother you, but you're now the minority. Everything new that's coming out have mutliplayer component. Every match requires loading.

I play plenty of multiplayer, the load times aren't bad, most of the time is syncing with the server anyway. But beyond that, if it is just going from match to match on the same server, it is either reloading the same map so the data is cached and loading is super fast, or I'm loaded in waiting for the next match to start or for other people to finish loading into the match.

Switching between different servers can cause a longer load time, but generally it is still under 10 seconds, so I can wait.

Without Windows nothing can run. Windows runs faster = programs itself run faster. I don't even need to mention the faster access time and higher bandwidth of the ssd.

Now your just grasping. Windows isn't helping apps run faster just because the OS is on an SSD, it doesn't work that way. The app is still on a mechanical hard drive, the data needed to run that app has to be loaded from the mechanical hard drive, so the app still loads just as slow with the SSD as without.

I'm not exactly stupid to spend $250 (now it's just $150 and even faster) for an SSD that provides little performance. I did my homework. My SSD gives me more than what I expected, and I also had 5 HDDs in RAID0 before (now I have 3). I moved from that and I'm still impressed.

Yes, yes you are that stupid. And now your are defending that purchase tooth and nail because there is no way anyone is going to tell you it wasn't a wise purchase. I personally would have upgrading the GTX480 instead but eh what would I know...

Obviously I'm not.

Actually, that would have been my second post, and you are delusional. But you can keep lying to yourself, if that's what makes you feel better about wasting money on an overprices SSD.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

I am also using sleep mode function, so an SSD is irrelevant since Windows starts up again in less than 2 sec....;)

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
nope, i went back to spinners. my SSD gave me lots of performance issues before it died, and i'm not willing to go through that again.

Same here, mine died on me too. Less than a month of use and without warning went kaput. It's replacement, M4 256, working coaster duty since i got it.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Give me 256Gb for $100 and i'll go for it...until then, no thanks.

And I'm still not convinced of their reliability, many forums i visit seem full of people having problems with them.

Simple: SSD for OS, apps, temps and pagefile. HDD for data.

Better: Backup your important data on a regular basis.

Rock solid: RAID your backup.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Never mind 256gb drives, i wanna see 512gb+ ones get affordable :)

No doubt, I'm running a 2Tb hard drive, and downgrading to that small a drive is not really appetizing....