1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD's and Gaming

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Rapidfire48, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Rapidfire48

Thanks Received:
    I just took the leap and purchased an SSD drive. What effect will heavy gaming have on this drive, if any?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you mean? Heavy gaming shouldn't affect the drive. Loading times will be improved over a mechanical drive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, pretty much. You might notice a difference with games that stream data off of the hdd like with a heavily modded Oblivion install but those games are few and far between.

4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    You only really need to worry about SSD's when writing to them as they are limited where as writes are not limited on a mechanical hard drive.

If you install games to an SSD, you really only have to worry about it when the game(s) are installing. Beyond that the game is just reading data off of the SSD which doesnt deteriorate it.

5. Rapidfire48

Thanks Received:
    I was going to install my OS and maybe a steam game or 2 and see how well everything runs . I do appreciate all the responses as I take this way overpriced piece of hardware for a ride.

6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    You will notice a huge difference in boot times both with windows and in games when they're installed on an SSD. Only wish I could get a couple.