• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ssh -X from MAC OS to Ubuntu, error with RANDR

josruirod5

HI there, and congrats for the forum
After being helped by the forum a lot, I have registered to ask a question regarding the following situation:
I'm doing ssh -X from a Macbook with Catalina OS to an Ubuntu 16.04. I installed XQuartz-2.7.11 in the macbook in order to be able to handle the X11 and everything seems to be working. However, there are some programs that are not working as expected. I open a program, it starts to load and opens, but it's not responsive. Menus cannot be cliked and you cannot interact with the program. Checking the log in the terminal, I think this is due to the error: "Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display localhost:10.0"
In the same situation but doing ssh from another Ubuntu or from Windows + VcXsrv, the program is working perfectly, without the RANDR error. So I'm fairly certain this has to be with something on the macbook or XQuartz

Any idea on how to solve it?

Thanks for your time!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
think this is due to the error: "Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display localhost:10.0"
That's because libxrandr can't be found. This is probably because you're using X via xquartz and librandr just simply isn't available. I doubt that's causing your issue though. It sounds more like performance is bad which isn't entirely surprising. Instead of using
Code:
ssh -X ...
Try using this instead:
Code:
ssh -Y ...
That uses trusted X forwarding which bypasses several security extensions. That should help improve the experience. Mind you that X is not light on network resources, so if you're doing this over the internet, it's going to be slow regardless of what you're trying to do.