• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Statement by Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini on EC Ruling

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
What happens if AMD goes out, and Intel is no longer forced to innovate and can start jumping pricing. AMD got it's foothold as Intel was raping the consumer.

I don't agree with the fine, and what will happen to it, but I honestly do believe that Intel needs a slap on the wrist for what they have done.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/

A look back at the original market and you can understand AMD's position, they are the only real VIAble competitor to Intel currently. Lets say that you have a Lemonade business, and your neighbor has one also, and you are doing well, you come up with a new formula to sell, that tastes better than your old formula, and your competitors formula. You go to grocery stores and distributors to see if you can get them to sell your lemonade. However your neighbor has bribed the grocers, and distributors, and warehouses to not sell your lemonade. You can't force them to sell yours, even though it is a better product and will allow you to become more profitable and force more competition in the market, thus costing customers less in the long run.

So what do you do?

If in a few years AMD goes under and a Intel chip costs twice what it does now, and ATI being tied to AMD fails also and Nvidia starts REALLY raping the consumers, just remember.

You allowed and supported it.

So far as the car market, imagine their only being two players. Ford and Toyota, but Ford has just bribed your city to NOT allow a new Toyota dealership to be built. Now you have one choice, and they can ask what they want, make what they want, and you have no other options.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Motherboard P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 3GB G.Sill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) 8800GT @ 700/975
Storage (1)80GB With XP, (1) 320GB storage
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Case XClio Windtunnel (I love it)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply OCZ gamerXStream 700W
What happens if AMD goes out, and Intel is no longer forced to innovate and can start jumping pricing. AMD got it's foothold as Intel was raping the consumer.

I don't agree with the fine, and what will happen to it, but I honestly do believe that Intel needs a slap on the wrist for what they have done.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80486/

A look back at the original market and you can understand AMD's position, they are the only real VIAble competitor to Intel currently. Lets say that you have a Lemonade business, and your neighbor has one also, and you are doing well, you come up with a new formula to sell, that tastes better than your old formula, and your competitors formula. You go to grocery stores and distributors to see if you can get them to sell your lemonade. However your neighbor has bribed the grocers, and distributors, and warehouses to not sell your lemonade. You can't force them to sell yours, even though it is a better product and will allow you to become more profitable and force more competition in the market, thus costing customers less in the long run.

So what do you do?

If in a few years AMD goes under and a Intel chip costs twice what it does now, and ATI being tied to AMD fails also and Nvidia starts REALLY raping the consumers, just remember.

You allowed and supported it.

So far as the car market, imagine their only being two players. Ford and Toyota, but Ford has just bribed your city to NOT allow a new Toyota dealership to be built. Now you have one choice, and they can ask what they want, make what they want, and you have no other options.

First of all, AMD hasn't made a better tasting lemonade than Intel (lol) but they HAVE improved, and they ARE a viable competitor. If Intel has given the grocery store incentives not to sell AMD's lemonade, then AMD needs to bring their own incentives to the table. It's marketing.

By your logic, buy one get one free is a bribe to the customer, and any company that can't offer a similar sale should be compensated for these horrendous sales tactics.

Oh and the ford and toyota analogy has holes in it because Intel never bribed a city, forcing residents within that city a single choice. Intel was focusing on businesses, and the businesses (only consumer with choice in this situation) made the decision based on common sense.

D

Deleted member 24505

If amd did go down,i dont really think people will pay double prices,i think they'll just say feck it,i'll stick with what i've got now.

As far as i'm concerned its just one company crying coz the other company is doing better.I dont think theres such a thing as fair practices in buisness,You do whatever it takes to get people to buy your stuff.Screw the competitors.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
I wonder why i didnt see amd chips from 2000-2006, when amd pwned intel, over and over. same with ATI.( i see thousands now) all is okey now, except ati needs more share in laptops, which happening.... oh right now :p (been on sideline a long time now tho)
Now, stupid talesmen.
They hurt the rival, rival get less R&d money, less fabs, higher production cost, less compotition, higher prices, less performance evolution.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.6 (16x225)
Motherboard DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH
Cooling CoolIT Domino A.L.C.
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card(s) XFX HD-487A-ZDDC Radeon HD 4870 (OC'd to 825/1000) | XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890
Storage 2x Seagate 320GB SATA2 (ST3320620AS)
Case LIAN LI PC-X500B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
Power Supply PCP&C S75QB 750W | Thermaltake Pure Power Express 250W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate x64
this is deserving:

what cracks me up the most about all the "this is BS" people ranting off about this ruling and intel's position is the obvious. intel has been engaged in evil doing (anti-competitive practices) since the late 90's through to this day. it's pretty obvious that both the intel fan camp and intel themselves do not remember the past decade. anyone remember when the K6-III's came out? intel began to lose its hold on the performance crown back then. Google up the reviews. once the Slot A and eventual Socket A Athlon's surfaced intel had a problem keeping pace for years to come in the same price bracket with AMD's offerings. again Google up the reviews.

what has always been the absolute nail in the argument for me is that when the Slot A Athlon's came out sites like Tom's Hardware, [H]ard|OCP and others would stumble upon links to ASUS, MSI and other mobo manufacturers website product descriptions for their Slot A motherboards and in nearly every case for just about a years time the page(s) would vanish once the public domain discovered them. they were never accessible through the manufacturers sites themselves. i remember that only a small few (FIC, Tyan and i think EPOX) whom actually had their products existence in plain view through the web and were linked to from within their own websites while the others did everything to hide the very existence of their offerings yet you could definitely go into Fry's or elsewhere and find their products on the shelves for Slot A.

why would a motherboard maker fear anyone finding technical details on their product? doesn't take a genius to see how a threat of a "chipset shortage" from intel could possibly be a deterrent to those that catered to the other side of the fence...

Back when 939 dominated P4, did Intel complain? Nope. They stepped up.
sure they didn't complain but you also didn't notice any of those they gave the reach arounds to jumping to use the CPU's that beat down on the P4...

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
same thing did hitler? Jeez man, ever heard of Godwin's law?

We're not talking about the desecration and extermination of an entire group of people here dude so try not to elevate intel's business practice to such horrendous extremes.

It's a shame that the world is turning out the way it is. If you're a large enough business, and you do bad, you can point blame at the competition for doing too well and you'll be compensated.

I didnt see a single A64 in a physical retailer.
All the nerds sat with A64 while companies, retailers, schools, anything thats made of companies like HP, dell, acer, ibm/lenovo used intel, there was one company that did use AMD, but that was 100% norwegian.
* edit*
When Athlon XP came, there was some HP models with GF2 series with AMD cpu, but in rare occasions we would ever see amd.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I call BS on Intel's Press release.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
(Whoa -- did that guy just say what I think he said?)

It's a shame that the world is turning out the way it is. If you're a large enough business, and you do bad, you can point blame at the competition for doing too well and you'll be compensated.

Buddy, that's precisely when Intel started breaking the law. Their P4 chips sucked, and a lot of businesses were starting to probably make inquires with AMD because their chips were better.

So, instead of making better chips, Intel started threatening vendors and "encouraging" them to use their own crappy chips instead of going to AMD, by threatening not to sell any chips to them (if they start buying from AMD as well).

I swear, if I have to explain this one more time to people I'm going to go nuts. :confused:

Intel is not some "Champion of the FREE MARKET!!!111one" -- they are precisely the kind of company that's helping to destroy it.

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
why was it wrong what intel did? they used their power to do the best for their company, knowing that there would most probably be an investigation and a ruling. yet they did it, and you can bet, they did it because they ran the numbers and realized that even with a big fine it would be worth it.

i agree. i think Intel is not stupid at all. they know how to make money.

-----

in other news. when DELL wanted to order AMD cpus AMD couldnt manufacture the number of cpu that DELL wanted. So its AMDs problem if they cant make enought CPUs for their customers. if i dont get what i want in a store i go to another store.

Last edited:
System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
in other news. when DELL wanted to order AMD cpus AMD couldnt the number of cpu that DELL wanted. So its AMDs problem if they cant make enought CPUs for their customers. if i dont get want in a store i go to another store.

You're exactly right.

Unfortunately, regardless of what some here have said, Dell were more than willing to buy some chips from AMD and some from Intel, and were more than willing to undertake the necessary costs required to handle two types of chips. (Since, to the end user, nothing would be different between one computer running an AMD chip and one running an Intel.) This was because of lots of reasons -- at the time, AMD chips were far better, using less power and operating generally faster.

Intel just couldn't be happy with this, though, and had to resort to bending the law to get their way.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
(Whoa -- did that guy just say what I think he said?)

Buddy, that's precisely when Intel started breaking the law. Their P4 chips sucked, and a lot of businesses were starting to probably make inquires with AMD because their chips were better.

So, instead of making better chips, Intel started threatening vendors and "encouraging" them to use their own crappy chips instead of going to AMD, by threatening not to sell any chips to them (if they start buying from AMD as well).

I swear, if I have to explain this one more time to people I'm going to go nuts. :confused:

Intel is not some "Champion of the FREE MARKET!!!111one" -- they are precisely the kind of company that's helping to destroy it.

Buddy, offering your product at a lower price with guaranteed dominance in the assembly line of your customer isn't illegal. "Build all your computers with our processors, and we'll give you an extra 10% off" isn't illegal. They offered a discount to stay competitive. Did it ever occur to you guys these companies they "bribed" didn't need to take that discount? There were plenty that didn't, like HP and Gateway / EMachines.

I find it amusing when a company like AMD steps up and offers competition, that everyone acts so shocked and surprised that the once dominant Intel doesn't stay exactly the same.

No, but you guys are right. From a business perspective, it makes so much more sense to not be competitive, and remain the most illogical and impractical choice for all vendors. What was Intel thinking?

Bottom line, Intel did what they had to do in order to sell more of their product. When Pizza Hut carries all pepsi products, it's the same exact thing. I understand the animosity towards any giant company who appears to dominate a market, but if the situation were reversed everyone would be cheering AMD on for being the underdog that brought the heat.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Here in the UK there have been many OEM companies (now defunct) in the past that have sold mainly AMD systems. Some Europeans may remember OEMS, like Time Computers owned by Granville Technology Group & Tiny Computers who were eventually bought out by Time Computers.

They sold a wide range of systems & they were there since AMD Athlons first hit the market & carried on selling AMD based machines till the day they went into Administration in July 2005.

sometimes, its the small companies that actually make a difference.

Bl4ck

System Name the HandsomeRulerOfTheUniverse was taken
Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3600Mhz @1.35V~1.4
Motherboard MSI P35Neo2 FIR
Cooling LC - EK Multioption res,EK DC 4.0, Swiftech Apogee GT, Feser Tubes.
Memory 2x2GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX275 overclocked.
Storage Samsung F1 750GB
Display(s) LG 2261VP-PF HDMI
Case Coolermaster Dominator (RC690)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Win7 Ultimate x64
almost every one here says that the fine is bs, it's not , the fine is about Intel giving companies money/bribes and that way they destroyed the "free" market in EU , they used the same practices in Japan where they where also fined with big fines. Use your brains ppl , EU didn't fine the Intel (almost a monopolist now with their x86 license threats ) for beeing a better chip manufacturer , they fined them because they bribed the "customers" and there for engaged in illegal activities. ;)

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
almost every one here says that the fine is bs, it's not , the fine is about Intel giving companies money/bribes and that way they destroyed the "free" market in EU , they used the same practices in Japan where they where also fined with big fines. Use your brains ppl , EU didn't fine the Intel (almost a monopolist now with their x86 license threats ) for beeing a better chip manufacturer , they fined them because they bribed the "customers" and there for engaged in illegal activities. ;)

The thing that irritates me about this is, from a business perspective, it doesn't appear they did anything wrong. If anything, AMD should have countered with their own incentives, and since they didn't, their fair punishment was a loss in market share. Pepsi gives incentives to places like Pizza Hut to offer only pepsi products. Motor parts companies like motorcraft offer companies like Ford incentives to only offer motorcraft parts. Heck, even broadcast companies offer incentives for letting sporting events only be viewed on their network. Why is it such a big deal that Intel OFFERED an incentive to only carry their product?

Bl4ck

Storage Samsung F1 750GB
The thing that irritates me about this is, from a business perspective, it doesn't appear they did anything wrong. If anything, AMD should have countered with their own incentives, and since they didn't, their fair punishment was a loss in market share. Pepsi gives incentives to places like Pizza Hut to offer only pepsi products. Motor parts companies like motorcraft offer companies like Ford incentives to only offer motorcraft parts. Heck, even broadcast companies offer incentives for letting sporting events only be viewed on their network. Why is it such a big deal that Intel OFFERED an incentive to only carry their product?

that depends what you call an "incentive" , lower prices yes, but direct bribes combined with not letting the competition into the play on the market isn't fair . Lower prices for "only" customers is a Grey Line in the market, but Intel was using brute force tactics. all open "free market" is big BS if you ask me, the money drives big companies mad. :shadedshu

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Buddy, offering your product at a lower price with guaranteed dominance in the assembly line of your customer isn't illegal. "Build all your computers with our processors, and we'll give you an extra 10% off" isn't illegal.

Unless you live on a desert island with no government, what the government says is illegal is illegal. As the EU has said this is illegal, it's illegal (in the EU). :shadedshu

But that's not even the issue -- the problem is that it's anticompetitive.

What Intel should've done is taken their licks, lost a little bit of business, and then got that business back when they made the Core2 (which is better than anything AMD had at the time). That's called capitalism.

See how it works? Intel was/is just being greedy.

Bl4ck

Storage Samsung F1 750GB
System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Amen, you made my point. I rest my case.:toast:

Always glad to help.

What pisses me off the most about this whole business is that Intel didn't even need to do it. They were more than capable enough to design a better chip (like the wonderful Core2) and get any lost business back eventually. :shadedshu

They're the bigger, faster, stronger company -- they could've won the race in the end fair and square.

However, instead of using their size to compete, they just tried to push the other guy down, like an overweight bully.

And, unfortunately for them, I guess the teachers were watching. :laugh:

Bl4ck

Storage Samsung F1 750GB
Always glad to help.

What pisses me off the most about this whole business is that Intel didn't even need to do it. They were more than capable enough to design a better chip (like the wonderful Core2) and get any lost business back eventually. :shadedshu

well that sad truth is that after 2000 Intel is beeing run by PR Guys and not the engineers, PR guys say we want a 100$,200$ and a 4000$ Cpu , the tech guys just jump :wtf:

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
that depends what you call an "incentive" , lower prices yes, but direct bribes combined with not letting the competition into the play on the market isn't fair . Lower prices for "only" customers is a Grey Line in the market, but Intel was using brute force tactics. all open "free market" is big BS if you ask me, the money drives big companies mad. :shadedshu
Perhaps I'm over simplifying things. Did they send them on trips to Hawaii? Did they make sure certain kids got into good schools? What? I'm thinking of it purely on a discount by volume type of deal. Why is it ok for Pepsi to make sure Pizza Hut only sells their products, and not Cokes? See what I'm saying?

Unless you live on a desert island with no government, what the government says is illegal is illegal. As the EU has said this is illegal, it's illegal (in the EU). :shadedshu

But that's not even the issue -- the problem is that it's anticompetitive.

What Intel should've done is taken their licks, lost a little bit of business, and then got that business back when they made the Core2 (which is better than anything AMD had at the time). That's called capitalism.

See how it works? Intel was/is just being greedy.
I'm looking at this from the perspective of business and marketing. If I've been a dominant company in a market for a number of years, and another company steps up, what's wrong with offering better prices to keep your customers? Intel never said, buy it or lose it. They said buy it, fine, but buy only it, and we'll hook u up on better pricing. They set up a practical offer that AMD should have countered. But youre right, it's EU law, and the law's the law.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I just started my own line of CPU's. Heres the wafer.

I hope the EU doesn't come after me.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
way to go intel! tell those EU fascists where they can stick that fine! amd is a pure failure. intel has nothing to do with it.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Intel never said, buy it or lose it.

Actually, according to the reports I've seen from the case in Europe and the ones in Japan, that's exactly what Intel is reported to have said. :shadedshu

"If you buy from AMD we'll raise the prices on our chips for you, and since AMD can't meet your total demand, you'll be forced to buy our higher price."

And therein lies the problem. That's "abusing your position within the market."

I just started my own line of CPU's. Heres the wafer.
http://goodiesfirst.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/13/waffle.gif
I hope the EU doesn't come after me.

How convenient for me -- I can cook your 25-core pastry processor on top of my old Pentium D. :D

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
a lot of people here misunderstand the basic premise of open competition. if you manufacture a product you have a right to sell that product for whatever price you want to whomever you want. the buyer has no right to demand you lower your selling price or sell a certain quantity of your product to them. the buyer has no right because it is not the buyers property, it is the manufacturers property. this is where bargaining comes in. if nobody buys intel products because of their high prices or because intel pulls their products from clients who also sell the competition, then intel goes under.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Actually, according to the reports I've seen from the case in Europe and the ones in Japan, that's exactly what Intel is reported to have said. :shadedshu

"If you buy from AMD we'll raise the prices on our chips for you, and since AMD can't meet your total demand, you'll be forced to buy our higher price."

And therein lies the problem. That's "abusing your position within the market."

Well that is rotten. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I didn't realize they said all that. I thought the most controversial issue here was the fact that they were offering a discount for dominance in the assembly line, not an increase in price for the opposite.