• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Static electricity question

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Never had any ESD damage myself even when I wore wool socks and petted a cat when I was building my rig several years ago. I guess if you really want to damage hardware with ESD its definitely possible, but under normal circumstances, it's very unlikely.

Just ground yourself by touching something metallic before doing any work with components.

edit: "wireless ESD strap" reminds me of the legendary PC building video from The Verge..

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Never had any ESD damage myself even when I wore wool socks and petted a cat when I was building my rig several years ago.
:( Again - you, as a human, wouldn't know.

If you ever had any device that was DOA, or did work but then didn't after being handled, it might have been damaged by ESD. But again, ESD damage can ONLY be verified by inspection under a powerful microscope.
Just ground yourself by touching something metallic before doing any work with components.
Not just "something metallic". To ensure no discharge can occur, you need to put you and the ESD sensitive device "at the same potential". This means touching a "common" ground and bare metal of the PC case interior is ideal for that.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
"wireless ESD strap" reminds me of the legendary PC building video from The Verge..

Oh man, me need to see this video

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
:( Again - you, as a human, wouldn't know.

If you ever had any device that was DOA, or did work but then didn't after being handled, it might have been damaged by ESD. But again, ESD damage can ONLY be verified by inspection under a powerful microscope.

Not just "something metallic". To ensure no discharge can occur, you need to put you and the ESD sensitive device "at the same potential". This means touching a "common" ground and bare metal of the PC case interior is ideal for that.
Ive actually killed a few usb flash drives that way and i knew very well I did, static shock super hero anyone? I killed a ram stick not knowing I did till I thought about ESD.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Here you go

Thanks: nice video, if it were not for the strapless strap.

Ive actually killed a few usb flash drives that way and i knew very well I did, static shock super hero anyone? I killed a ram stick not knowing I did till I thought about ESD.

I would expect USB flash drives to be very heavily protected.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks: nice video, if it were not for the strapless strap.

I would expect USB flash drives to be very heavily protected.
The plastic case is not

Memory 16GB DDR3
OK, a metal case is a Faraday cage, but even a plastic case needs to be penetrated, so should be reasonable protection; or am I missing something?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The problem with plastic is many plastics are great for generating static.

If talking about a plastic case AND a plastic cap covering the USB connection, then, yes, the device is pretty well protected.

But clearly, the plastic case on this thumb drive is useless when it comes to protecting the drive or the data inside if the user has a large build up of static in his or her body, then touches (or comes too close) to the exposed metal contacts of the USB connector.

a metal case is a Faraday cage
This is not a given. Nor is it a given a metal case will prevent ESD damage in all scenarios.

First, for a metal case to effectively be a Faraday cage, the case must be "continuous" with no large gaps or holes. In an RF "screen room", for example, used for tuning and maintenance of radio transmitters and receivers, the size of the holes in the screen is important and are based on the expected wavelength of the frequencies used by those radios. A screen room built for HF (ham radios), would be ineffective at blocking RFI with UHF radios.

If the case is formed by panels riveted together, or held by friction (like many side panels in a computer case, there can be no paint where the panels meet and there MUST be an uninterrupted ground throughout.

And to be most effected, that case must be grounded to Earth ground.

One must also not forget the possible potentials static electricity can easily achieve. Depending on the materials used in our clothing, ambient humidity, etc., just by squirming in our chair, we can easily build up potentials of 20,000 or 25,000 volts :eek: in our bodies. Yet some of the most ESD sensitive devices can be damaged by a charge as low as just 30 volts (as in thirty volts). The threshold of human awareness is around 3000 volts. This means we can easily destroy a sensitive devices from a static discharge without even realizing a discharge occurred.

As noted before, excessive static can be generated just by sliding something into and out of your pocket.

But you say, "plastic is an insulator!" That is true. And plastic is an excellent insulator. But the insulating value is also dependent on the thickness of the insulator, and the voltage potentials it may encounter. And again - static can easily reach into the 10s of 1000s of volts.

Also, plastics can crack.

And then of course, can we really trust the quality of the design or manufacturing techniques of every thumb drive we see?

So yes, "ideally" you typically flash drive (and the data it contains) is effectively protected from static. But $h!t happens!

Personally, I would NEVER trust even the best, most reliable thumb drive for the safety of my data. I am amazed when I hear folks using them as their only backup device. :(

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The problem with plastic is many plastics are great for generating static.

If talking about a plastic case AND a plastic cap covering the USB connection, then, yes, the device is pretty well protected.

But clearly, the plastic case on this thumb drive is useless when it comes to protecting the drive or the data inside if the user has a large build up of static in his or her body, then touches (or comes too close) to the exposed metal contacts of the USB connector.

This is not a given. Nor is it a given a metal case will prevent ESD damage in all scenarios.

First, for a metal case to effectively be a Faraday cage, the case must be "continuous" with no large gaps or holes. In an RF "screen room", for example, used for tuning and maintenance of radio transmitters and receivers, the size of the holes in the screen is important and are based on the expected wavelength of the frequencies used by those radios. A screen room built for HF (ham radios), would be ineffective at blocking RFI with UHF radios.

If the case is formed by panels riveted together, or held by friction (like many side panels in a computer case, there can be no paint where the panels meet and there MUST be an uninterrupted ground throughout.

And to be most effected, that case must be grounded to Earth ground.

One must also not forget the possible potentials static electricity can easily achieve. Depending on the materials used in our clothing, ambient humidity, etc., just by squirming in our chair, we can easily build up potentials of 20,000 or 25,000 volts :eek: in our bodies. Yet some of the most ESD sensitive devices can be damaged by a charge as low as just 30 volts (as in thirty volts). The threshold of human awareness is around 3000 volts. This means we can easily destroy a sensitive devices from a static discharge without even realizing a discharge occurred.

As noted before, excessive static can be generated just by sliding something into and out of your pocket.

But you say, "plastic is an insulator!" That is true. And plastic is an excellent insulator. But the insulating value is also dependent on the thickness of the insulator, and the voltage potentials it may encounter. And again - static can easily reach into the 10s of 1000s of volts.

Also, plastics can crack.

And then of course, can we really trust the quality of the design or manufacturing techniques of every thumb drive we see?

So yes, "ideally" you typically flash drive (and the data it contains) is effectively protected from static. But $h!t happens!

Personally, I would NEVER trust even the best, most reliable thumb drive for the safety of my data. I am amazed when I hear folks using them as their only backup device. :(
It's why i still use optical media for installing software

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's why i still use optical media for installing software
I do too. In fact, I just did this a couple days ago with TurboTax, much in part because, in case I get audited in 3 or 4 years, I know I can reload the software.

Sadly, more and more computers (or computer cases) don't provide front panel access to a 5.25" drive. I don't buy those cases - in part because I don't own, don't want, and don't ever plan on buying an external USB optical drive. Maybe, one day, if ever USB truly does become "universal" and more importantly, reliable, I might.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I do too. In fact, I just did this a couple days ago with TurboTax, much in part because, in case I get audited in 3 or 4 years, I know I can reload the software.

Sadly, more and more computers (or computer cases) don't provide front panel access to a 5.25" drive. I don't buy those cases - in part because I don't own, don't want, and don't ever plan on buying an external USB optical drive. Maybe, one day, if ever USB truly does become "universal" and more importantly, reliable, I might.
I did it on a OEM copy of W11 Pro & Office 2007 Pro on Ry7 5800 rig