• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Deck Owners Clubhouse

Do you plan to purchase a Steam Deck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
It may be a bit early for a clubhouse, but better too early than too late! I am sure there are DOZENS of us who have reserved a unit on TPU. Hopefully in a few months we can share our tweaks and other enthusiast tricks. There are extensive tweaking options from power limit, clock speed, and core parking.

The poll will close on May 25th, 3 months after the Steam Deck has released. Poll responses were made editable in case anyone changes their minds. The poll is frivelous and fun. I expect most people on TPU to not be interested in the Steam Deck for good reason.

Frequently Asked Questions:​

Yes. Thanks to Steam Input, any game that has been originally designed for mouse & keyboard only, can be played without a mouse or a keyboard just using the Steam Deck's own controls, even if the game requires hundreds of hotkeys / keyboard combinations (such as WoW, ARMA, Elite Dangerous).

You'll be able to create custom touch menus for both of the two touch pads, with up to 16 different keys / macros assigned to each. But that's not the limit, you can also make it so that when you hold one of the four back buttons on the controller (or any other buttons of your choosing), the touch pad keys / macros change to a completely different set, so you can theoretically assign more than a hundred keys onto a single touch pad. The same can be done for the DPad and thumbsticks.

These touch menus can either show the keyboard key that they activate, or you can add custom icons to them, so for example, if you play Skyrim and have your sword hotkey assigned to 1, and bow to 2, you can add icons with a picture of a sword and a bow, making your on-screen touch menu simpler to understand.

The Steam Deck also has a touch screen, so playing games that normally use a mouse, such as Civilization, Cities: Skylines or Don't Starve should work great on that.

Even FPS games like CS:GO will be very playable on the Steam Deck, thanks to the possibility of using the built-in gyro for aiming.
The Steam Deck will support over a million games, this list includes, but is not limited to:
56,000+ Steam Games (Valve has said that their plan is to get all Steam games working trough Proton at launch.)
Almost all non-Steam Windows games (Proton can run non-steam games as well, or alternatively you can just dual boot to Windows), which include:
Thousands of games from other game launchers (Origin, Uplay, GoG, Epic Games Store)
410,000+ indie games on Itch.io
100,000+ indie games on Gamejolt.com
Thousands or hundreds of thousands of games listed on other websites.
90,000+ Flash games through Flashpoint (native Linux version here)
470,000+ Google Play games through Anbox or similar software.
Through various emulators, you'll also be able to run:
7,000+ DOS games
4,000+ PS2 games
2,000+ WII U games
2,000+ Nintendo DS games
1,500+ Game Boy Advance games
And thousands of more from other consoles.
Yes, you can do everything on a steam deck you can do on a normal PC such as:
Install mods for games
Run different operating systems such as Windows & Linux
Play on any controller or on mouse & keyboard
Play VR games
Run games at 4K 120fps of 8K 60fps on external monitors. (theoretically)
Play games offline
Do productive things like photo editing, web browsing, etc.
For most people, the 256GB model will offer the best value for money, but it depends a lot on what you are planning to do with it. If you mostly play smaller 2D games, the 64GB option might be the best for you. On the other hand, if you are planning to run multiple modern AAA games, the 512GB model is probably the best, as modern AAA games take 30-100GB of storage space, and the loading times will be slow off an SD card.
The Steam Deck runs SteamOS 3.0, which is an Arch Linux based custom operating system. The desktop mode uses KDE Plasma, which is very similar to Windows in appearance and usability. See this for more information about SteamOS and supported software.
It is not recommended to replace the default SteamOS operating system with Windows. See this post for comprehensive explanation on why not.
If you really need Windows, you could dual boot to it, having both SteamOS and Windows installed at the same time. This takes a bit more storage space, but doesn't have the disadvantages of completely wiping out the default SteamOS.
On this page: https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck, when logged in, under the "cancel reservation" button
The Steam Deck only supports WiFi, but you can use your phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot to play online games on the go.
No. The display is more than twice as sharp (215 pixels per inch) compared to a traditional 1920x1080 24" display (91 pixels per inch). Of course you'll be looking at it much closer, but unless you bring it right to your face, it'll look about as sharp as your eyes are able to see. A lower resolution display can also run games at higher framerates and consumes significantly less battery.
Very unlikely. The layout follows the natural relaxed position of your thumbs, so you don't have to bend them at all while playing. See this illustration
Source

Deck Previews​

Post-preview takeaways, speculation and thoughts​

Valve mentioned before that one of their goals was to have the entire Steam library playable at reasonable settings, 30fps being the "floor of what they consider playable". More recently one of their engineers was quoted as saying that they "couldn't find anything" that this thing would not run. I think the benchmarks we've got in the preview coverage vindicate them, they are super impressive and really do suggest that it'll be able to run anything (and I mean anything), as long as you don't expect the graphic fidelity/framerates of a PS5.
But the hit to the battery life is important. At less than 2 hours of battery life (from 100% to 0%), this will in my opinion be far from ideal, you will want to run most of your highly demanding games at 30fps when you are out and about for the best experience. Still, if you wanna do 60fps in exchange for shitty battery life, you'll totally be able to in at least some games.
This is only speculation on my part, but given everything we've seen if you are a bit of a "patient gamer" yourself the Deck should be able to run older games really well while maintaining a good battery life. You should be able to run Half-Life 2 or Portal 2 at 60fps/high with 3-4 hours battery life for sure.
I have no question that Dolphin will run super smooth on this thing, and most likely RPCS3 and Yuzu too, but demanding emulators take a toll on the battery, don't expect to run them for longer than 2 hours per charge.
If you are into retro emulation (GB/GBC/NES/SNES/MD/GBA etc) you'll in all likelyhood be able to knock yourself out with the Deck while enjoying excellent battery life.
Loading screens may take a few extra seconds, but that's about it. It's not a big deal and if you reserved the base model you'll be fine.
You should be able to run highly intensive games and emulators for long periods of time and not notice the device getting warm basically.
Valve has apparently some highly talented audio engineers (see Valve Index's highly praised speakers), and it apparently shows on the speakers of the Deck, which Linus described as a "sound stage". (There's also an aux jack and bluetooth if blasting sound around your surroundings isn't your thing, and they'll work just fine).
Should make it a much better handheld to play in bed at night with lights off than anything else on the market right now.
Linus pointed out that in tests the gamut coverage for this screen appears low at 69%, however it looked fine and in some cases better than some other screens. Will have to wait for final reviews to know for sure.
Anti-glare screens are often criticized for being slightly less sharp than their counter parts, but at least initial impressions suggest this isn't an issue. Will have to wait for final reviews to know for certain.
Valve intentionally de-prioritized rumble feedback (vibration) of this device and in my opinion this is totally fine, but Linus was disappointed by it, so there's that. Personally I'd still be a happy buyer even if it had zero haptics/rumble.
Linus complained of not being able to shift or reach buttons comfortably after long sessions, but it's very anecdotal, we'll need to hear more in the final reviews to know.
Valve did not allow previewers to show any of the OS/software on the device, presumably because it's still being worked on. Personally I feel like if they are cutting it so close to release even after having had a delay it could suggest that we should expect some "roughness" on launch (that will hopefully get ironed out eventually).
Source

How many games are playable or verified?​

At the time of writing this on February 8th, there are 151 "verified" and 118 "playable" titles on the deck with more being added every day.
Verified = The game works great on Steam Deck, right out of the box.
Playable = The game may require some manual tweaking by the user to play.
Unsupported = The game is currently not functional on Steam Deck.
Unknown = We haven't checked this game for compatibility yet.
You can see the most up to date verified and playable titles here.
You can see what specific games in your library are ready here.

Memes:​

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm onit, but Q2 or after ?!

Like the OP page though , good start to it.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I am also after Q2. The more people who cancel their reservation, the farther I move up in line!

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
There was a massive dump of newly verified titles, increasing from 151 to 243. Playable but not yet verified titles increased from 118 to 169. Some of the titles that were listed as playable are now verified is unclear how many titles are newly listed as playable.

While we know titles are being checked and verified every day it appears that the pace is increasing exponentially.

Edit: I found a cool graph.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I plan on buying one of thee ASAP
but no word on an australian release
making me a bit anxious it wont come over the seas

Space Lynx

Astronaut

good review here

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint

I excitedly await my notification. Got my first paycheck from my new job a few days ago, so I'm ready.

Last edited:
Reserved top model, after Q2 2022 gang, hopefully sooner (as Valve said in the launch day post).

I already have the required amount in my savings I just need the e-mail lol

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I miss being able to edit our posts long after they were posted. It would be nice to at least be able to edit the OP.

Enhanced Frequently Asked Questions:​

No, not necessarily. Each week Valve will send out purchase emails in the order of the queue for your model and region. The only users who will be able to make a purchase today are those at the beginning of the queue in Q1. You will only be asked to pay when your unit is ready to ship.
After receiving your email you will have 72 hours to complete your purchase. If you do not complete your purchase in this window, your place in line will be surrendered and reservation will be canceled. Reserving another Steam Deck will put you at the end of that respective queue.
No. You cannot change the model of Steam Deck that you reserved. If you want a different model, you must cancel your reservation and make a new one with the model you wish. Note that this will put you at the end of that respective queue.
As far as we know currently, no. Valve has said that the official dock will be available for purchase in late Spring 2022.
The Steam Deck website has been updated with a new look and a picture of the official dock. The following list is not a comprehensive list.
You will be able to use any payment method you normally use on Steam to purchase your Steam Deck. This includes credit card, PayPal, and Steam Wallet funds.
The Steam Deck ships with a carrying case (with the Steam Deck already inside), a microfiber cloth, and a 45 watt USB-C AC power adapter for your region. No other additional accessories.
If you have just reserved - be prepared to wait at least 6 months. Pre-orders are currently shipping for those who reserved 7 months ago.

You can find Valve's official estimation by visiting the Steam Deck reservation page. You need to be logged in.

Valve is not prioritizing based off anything other than your queue position. Each queue is region and storage specific.

Your estimation will say either Q1, Q2, or After Q2. The 'Q' refers to Quarter. Nobody has a more specific date than what Valve provides. Your exact timing will depend on when you placed your reservation, for example someone who is in After Q2 placed in December 2021 will get their Deck before you if you are After Q2 placed in January 2022.

Q1 = February, March 2022

Q2 = April, May, June 2022

After Q2 = July 2022 and later.

The first round of Steam Deck purchases commenced on February 25th at 10AM PST. The next round will begin on Monday 7th March.

Desperate to get an estimation? You can use an unofficial calculator. These are plotting data from your region, storage choice, the Valve estimation and your timestamp for reservation in order to provide you with an educated estimation of when to expect your Deck.
Below is a table of the differences. Anything in 'Bold' is the highest specification.

64GB (£349, $399, 419€)256GB (£459, $529, 549€)512GB (£569, $649, 679€)
Storage64GB eMMC256GB NVMe512GB NVMe
DisplayRegularRegularAnti-Glare Etched Glass
Carry CaseRegularRegularExclusive Case
Community ProfileNoneExclusive Profile BundleExclusive Profile Bundle
Keyboard ThemeNoneNoneExclusive Virtual Keyboard Theme
eMMC and NVMe refer to the type and speed of an SSD. Put simply, the NVMe storage type is significantly faster than eMMC.

All other specifications are identical between Deck versions. Click this link to see the full specs.
The best way to check is Steam's official compatibility checker. It will show you a list of 'Verified' games at the top, followed by your 'Playable' games. It will then follow with the 'Unsupported' games. If you don't see the game you are looking for in any of those lists, and it's definitely in your library, it is currently untested.

If you aren't logged in. Use CheckMyDeck. It is also preferred by some for the layout/detail.

You can find a full list of games that have been officially tested by Valve and marked as verified or playable on SteamDB. This list is constantly growing as Valve tests more games, and as more games adapt their games to work on the Deck.

Just because a game is not marked as verified or playable, it doesn't mean it won't work. It simply means that it has not been tested. If your game is marked as 'Unknown' or cannot be found on either list, then it could work, but also might not - the best way to find out at that point is using ProtonDB.

Non-Steam games should work, depending on their specific launcher, but these won't be rated for playability. In these cases, games which are showing on Lutris may work, though this isn't as easy nor as elegant as Steam's solution. Xbox Game Pass (PC Game Pass) will not work, as this requires Windows. You can use xCloud Game Streaming, however.

Many multiplayer games use anti-cheat software which isn't compatible with Proton/Linux. Such games currently include Rainbow Six Siege and Halo Infinite. As time goes on, these may become compatible.

Some popular game launchers are unavailable on Linux, you can find replacements below:

You can also run emulators on the Steam Deck. The best way to download these is through the app store Discover. You can download Yuzu, Citra, Dolphin, Snes9x and many other emulators. The app store will allow you to easily install and update these, and remove them should you wish to do so. Once installed, you can add these to be viewable from directly within the Steam Deck's regular interface.
See Foxlet's Linux List here - a set of applications which you may find useful to install.

To install any of the applications, simply click the link next to the program, and select 'Install'. This will then open Discover, the above mentioned app store. You'll then see the app you're looking to install. From there, select to 'Install' again. Depending on the app chosen, you then may see a dialog asking if you wish to install optional dependencies. Finally, you'll see a list of required dependencies, which you'll need to agree to. Once you've accepted, the chosen app will begin installing.

You'll be able to find it in the 'Start Menu' when it has installed.

With thanks to u/torac for this answer.
Yes. Your Steam Deck is a small, portable PC. This means that anything you can do on your PC, you can do on the Steam Deck. It's important to note that by default, the Steam Deck ships with SteamOS 3.0, compared to Windows there will be differences, so it may take some time to learn your way around before you become as comfortable as you are in Windows. Alternatively, you could always install Windows on your Steam Deck.

If you want to see what to expect from the SteamOS 3.0 desktop, take a look at KDE Plasma - it's the pre-installed desktop interface. By default, your Steam Deck will open on to the new Steam "Big Picture" mode.

Installing new programs on Linux is different from Windows. On SteamOS 3.0, you'll want to use the in-built app store Discover to download new programs, such as Chromium, Thunderbird and OBS.

In order to use your Steam Deck more like a PC, you'll likely want to connect some USB devices. See the question below for more details on that.
In order to connect USB devices, like a keyboard and mouse, you will need either a USB-C hub/dock, as the Deck has only a single USB-C port at the top. If your devices support them, you can also use Bluetooth (for Windows setup, you will need a USB-C hub/dock). The official Valve dock is currently not available at the time of writing, however any reputable branded USB-C hub which has a USB-C PD passthrough, as well as at least 2 USB ports is suitable. Here is an example of one - or a 4K 60HZ compatible one. It's important to check the specifications of the hub to make sure it can run the devices you will connect, including the power delivery compatibility.
The Steam Deck has a pretty extensive set of viewable options and properties within the BIOS, which you may wish to tinker with. Some items, such as APU Power can also be controlled from within software, which is a preferable method as you won't need to restart to apply changes every time. You can browse the menu using the D-Pad, and the A/B buttons to Accept/Reject as such.
This again depends on what you are playing, the settings, frame rate limit, screen brightness and many other factors. Valve officially says the Steam Deck can get between 2 hours - 8 hours, running at 30FPS, 50% brightness, and 50% volume. In the most intensive cases, your battery life may be as low as 90 minutes as per some reports, though this is not indicative of most real world use cases.

As per a video by The Phawx, using FSR (an upscaler, allows you to run games at a lower resolution such as 540p and upscale them to the Deck's 800p, whilst looking better than just running at 540p), a frame rate cap of 30FPS or lowering the game resolution can more than double the battery life in the most intensive games, without needing to drop graphics settings.

The Steam Deck by default will limit games to 60FPS, to avoid battery life loss. You can choose to remove this or lower it as you see fit. Valve has also included a tool called GameScope, which allows you to cap the frame rate of any game, as well as enable FSR on unsupported games. It's currently recommended to use the frame rate cap on GameScope rather than in-game, though. This helps with frame times, as some games do not implement frame rate caps very well.

As the Steam Deck is powered from a USB-C connection, a powerful PD power bank can supply enough charge to keep your Steam Deck powered and not discharging. In order to prevent discharging, this should be at least 45W. If you want to use a USB-C Hub/Dock at the same time, you need to account for the power draw of that, so around 65W should be used.

You can use a weaker power bank (e.g. 18W), but your Deck will discharge as you play. The essential part of any power bank is PD-compliance. If the power bank doesn't have that capability, it's not likely to correctly work.

With thanks to u/ThreeSon for a comment here.
No, your current Steam Deck storage choice is final for your reservation. If you wish to swap, your only choice is to cancel your reservation and reserve the size you now want. This will put you back at the end of the queue.
Yes, at your own risk. Depending on local laws, opening your Deck will invalidate your warranty. Please follow a tutorial for taking your Steam Deck apart, like the one from iFixIt. You need an M.2 2230 size, which is smaller than the typical M.2 size, as well as the EMI shielding (you can re-use the one the Deck SSD came with). Here is a list of drives that are expected to work - this hasn't been officially confirmed as we don't have hands on at the time of writing. Links are an example, and may not be the best price / in stock.

As of the time of writing, we do not have hands on with a 64GB to confirm, however what we do have is micro SD card tests.

Linus Tech Tips did a few loading tests, and found in GhostRunner the loading time was 19 seconds on SD card compared to 8 seconds on the 512GB SSD. See the video. This is only a single game test, but it will highly depend on a game by game basis as to how well it works.

The 256GB/512GB models do have faster storage, so the best experience will always be had on these. If you're handy, check the previous FAQ question to look in to upgrading your storage.
The Steam Deck is, in most games, the most powerful handheld PC thus far. Therefore, if you see any videos with games running on a different portable PC, such as an AYA NEO, it will only run better on the Steam Deck (generally).

Here are a few games, and the respective settings and frame rate to give a rough idea.

This depends on your specifications, but is also not a great basis to work off. The Steam Deck will have a smaller resolution than most modern (2015+) gaming laptops/PC monitors, whilst also having one of the most powerful integrated graphics. Please see the previous question as to how well it runs games - that is the best way of showcasing the performance. You can then look up how well the games run on your hardware / test your own hardware in comparison, and then you'll get a more definitive answer.
The screen is a 1280x800 60HZ IPS panel, with a size of 7". Whilst this might sound low, that gives it a Pixels per Inch (PPI) of 215. To put this in comparison, a 1920x1080 24" gaming monitor has a PPI of only 92. Whilst a gaming monitor is placed further away from you than the Steam Deck likely will be, it is still very unlikely to look 'blurry', though this is dependent on how close you hold it and your personal eyesight.

If you have a regular Nintendo Switch, you can use that a rough basis for what you expect from the Deck. The Switch has a slightly higher PPI at around 235, but it's close enough that if you find the Switch blurry/not blurry, you can pretty safely assume the same on the Steam Deck.

The screen is not the most colour accurate, though the screen does have a good response time, and can get very dim, whilst also being able to get fairly bright.
This is dependent on your hand size. For many, the Nintendo Switch is uncomfortable due to a very cramped control in order to ensure portability. The Steam Deck has much more space dedicated to the controls, including full-height joysticks. It's hard to tell specifically if you'll enjoy them or not without trying for yourself, but reports from reviews are positive, which is a good indicator as it gets to more people.
The Steam Deck does not support cellular/mobile connectivity, it only supports WiFi. You can hotspot your phone to your Steam Deck, though do be warned that this will drain your phone battery quite quickly.
Once your time comes to purchase a Steam Deck, you will receive an email from Steam (noreply@steampowered.com) advising you that you are next in line to purchase. The email looks like this. If you have received the email, you can also go here and choose to purchase. You have 72 hours from receiving that email to purchase your Deck, otherwise your reservation will be forfeited.

As part of the payment process, you will select your shipping address. This needs to be in the same region you reserved, but it does not need to be the same billing address used to place the reservation. You can change address after purchasing within 24 hours of placing the order. To do so, go here and select 'Shipment Details' next to your Steam Deck purchase (you need to be logged in).

You can use Steam Wallet Funds (either for the entire amount, or just a partial amount), as well as any other payment method Steam supports (e.g. PayPal, Credit Card, etc). You will receive Steam Points for the purchase. You can only purchase the storage size you reserved. All Euro and GBP (£) amounts are the final price, including shipping, and all other fees. USD ($) price does not include any sales taxes, which will be shown at checkout if applicable.

Once purchased, you should receive further updates on when to expect your Deck via email, including tracking. See the full shipping FAQ here.
You will receive the 45W charger, with an appropriate plug for your specific region. The Steam Deck supports up to a 45W adapter. If you are using a USB-C Hub/Dock, you will need more power to account for that, including any extra USB devices.
Yes. Thanks to Steam Input, any game that has been originally designed for mouse & keyboard only, can be played without a mouse or a keyboard just using the Steam Deck's own controls, even if the game requires hundreds of hotkeys / keyboard combinations (such as WoW, ARMA, Elite Dangerous).

You'll be able to create custom touch menus for both of the two touch pads, with up to 16 different keys / macros assigned to each. But that's not the limit, you can also make it so that when you hold one of the four back buttons on the controller (or any other buttons of your choosing), the touch pad keys / macros change to a completely different set, so you can theoretically assign more than a hundred keys onto a single touch pad. The same can be done for the DPad and thumbsticks.

These touch menus can either show the keyboard key that they activate, or you can add custom icons to them, so for example, if you play Skyrim and have your sword hotkey assigned to 1, and bow to 2, you can add icons with a picture of a sword and a bow, making your on-screen touch menu simpler to understand.

The Steam Deck also has a touch screen, so playing games that normally use a mouse, such as Civilization, Cities: Skylines or Don't Starve should work great on that.

Even FPS games like CS:GO will be very playable on the Steam Deck, thanks to the possibility of using the built-in gyro for aiming.

Steam Input supports non-Steam games too, though you do need to manually add these yourself.

Credit to u/apinanaivot on the original FAQ for this answer.
Anything marked as a 'Hardware Review' released around the 7th Feb 2022, when the full embargo had not lifted. Anything marked as a 'UI Review' released around the 25th Feb 2022, when the full embargo was lifted. They may not specifically focus around the topic mentioned.

Longer list, with French and German reviews, here!
It's more than likely that your question is asked in a different way to how I have worded it, so search the FAQ by keyword. For example, if your question is "What are the Steam Deck's controls", search for "controls" - you'll find your answer that way. Please also check the Valve FAQ.

Secondly, search the sub for the question - many questions have already been asked so it's unlikely that nobody has asked your specific question yet.

If it definitely isn't here, then ask in the comments. It helps keep the subreddit from being flooded with the same question! I'll be active and responding where I know in the comments, and as will others in the community. I'll look to keep the main list updated (and credit users for their contributions) in order to make it as simple as possible.

With thanks: u/torac for many useful suggestions, the r/SteamDeck moderators for being great, and all the helpful users in the commenters below for helping to answer questions and for smaller suggestions.
Source

News Coverage​

Source

Steam Deck Game Verification Progress​

• Steam Deck Verified: 426 titles
  • Steam Deck Playable: 399 titles
  • Total: 825 titles
  • Right now we have on average 23.2 new validated titles added on a daily basis to that list.
Verified = The game works great on Steam Deck, right out of the box.
Playable = The game may require some manual tweaking by the user to play.
Unsupported = The game is currently not functional on Steam Deck.
Unknown = We haven't checked this game for compatibility yet.
You can see the most up to date verified and playable titles here.
You can see what specific games in your library are ready here.

Source

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
As expected it did not take too long to reach this new milestone for the Steam Deck with more than 1000 games working on the device! The Steam Deck now has an exact count of 1004 qualified Games, split in two categories:

• Steam Deck Verified: 533 titles
  • Steam Deck Playable: 471 titles
  • Total: 1004 titles

You can see the ongoing progression on this chart:

Right now we have on average 25 new validated titles added on a daily basis to that list, which is increasing versions the previous rate of 22 to 23 titles on a daily basis.

Source

Although there are only 1000 games verified or playable, that is a strict standard for working flawlessly out of the box. Even games that are listed as unsupported can be played on the steam deck with a little elbow grease that nearly any PC gamer should be capable of.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Windows 10 Install guide from The Phawx! (totally not copied from my thread)

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
I had never heard of Phawx before the Deck. He has by far the best content for the Deck.

I had never heard of Phawx before the Deck. He has by far the best content for the Deck.
I hadn't either. Looks like his older videos were focused on other handheld PCs.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
There's a quote from the driver page that worries me.

"We are providing these resources as is and are unfortunately unable to offer 'Windows on Deck' support".

Does that mean Windows GPU drivers will be stuck at whatever version this one is? That would be a decent blow to this device and does affect my excitement for it a bit.

I don't understand why AMD can't add this to their normal GPU drivers. It's basically a hypothetical Radeon 670M (right between the 680M and the 660M with its shader count and also the same architecture).

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
There's a quote from the driver page that worries me.

"We are providing these resources as is and are unfortunately unable to offer 'Windows on Deck' support".

Does that mean Windows GPU drivers will be stuck at whatever version this one is? That would be a decent blow to this device and does affect my excitement for it a bit.

I don't understand why AMD can't add this to their normal GPU drivers. It's basically a hypothetical Radeon 670M (right between the 680M and the 660M with its shader count and also the same architecture).
Valve says they are not providing any further support for windows on the Deck besides drivers and potential driver updates.

I have seen a few users have posted their windows results and are getting significantly less FPS than Linux. One user claimed they fixed the problem by enabling game scope via the launch options.

We will have to wait and see how the windows experience evolves. Personally, I have little interest in windows on the Deck.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Howdy Steam deck people
So im wondering about the steam decks ability to run games like Dirt 3 and Grid 2
Can somone explain fi they will be able to run cause they obviously wont be certified

Howdy Steam deck people
So im wondering about the steam decks ability to run games like Dirt 3 and Grid 2
Can somone explain fi they will be able to run cause they obviously wont be certified
As long as their DRM or anti-cheat (if they have any) doesn't interfere with Proton, and there aren't any other technical issues, then they should run fine.

Of course, Windows is an option if you aren't sure.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Low quality post by Nordic
Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
SteamOS is the best feature the deck has over other handheld options. It looks like the competition agrees.

OneXPlayer looking at shipping handhelds with SteamOS like the Steam Deck
By Liam Dawe - 31 March 2022 at 1:17 pm

OneXPlayer are a series of handheld gaming devices, they're somewhat popular and it appears they've been keeping a close eye on SteamOS and how it's been working on the Steam Deck.
Currently they offer various models like the OneXPlayer Mini, OneXPlayer 1S, two AMD models and the One-GX 1 Laptop. However, all of them currently ship with Windows. Some of them are pretty powerful too, like the currently sold-out "ONEXPLAYER AMD® - 8.4 inch Ryzen® 5700U" model. Their prices are quite a bit higher than Steam Deck too, with that model in particular retailing at $1,419.

Overall it took Valve a bit more than 3 months to move from zero games validated to 2000. There are now almost 2000 games (1997 at the time of writing) working on the Steam Deck – in two categories as usual:

• Steam Deck Verified: 1033 titles
  • Steam Deck Playable: 964 titles
  • Total: 1997 titles

You can see the ongoing progression on this chart:

Source

Last edited: