• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Fanatics Review-bomb "Metro Exodus" on Metacritic

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
100% not gonna end up in the spam list and deleted :p
But review bombing hurts metacritic more than any one else so they really shouldnt do it.
Agreed.
They shouldn't lol, but they are unfortunately.

I have an idea, why not review bomb the publisher, not the game. :eek::D

Internet retards. Since the Epic Launcher move announcement, the two Metro games have 25% ratings on Steam. Pathetic people... Moreover, users on Metacritic are usually dumb too. Just watch BfA's and other games' ratings. Internet has gone waaaaay down.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Metro should have been on Steam. Steam and Metro have been synonymous succeses.

Nkd

this is just silly shit. Judge the game for what it is. Steam seems to have brainwashed people, the cult is real lol. This game is damn good, buy it and enjoy it. People need to forget the politics and enjoy the game.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
i have the same worries about people not caring that businesses conduct shady practices and blame the consumers for getting upset about it.
The tense is more than it should be for something that is supposed to entertain the people (gaming is an entertainmnent after all, apart from the people that make money of it). That worries me. In the recent years people take gaming much more seriously than they should. And that shows that they don't care as much for real life matters. Because if they did, they wouldn't spend themselves into hating persons or companies related to gaming matters.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I am deeply worried about where things are going with humanity. Especially when people are taking games so seriously in order to become infuriated and hate people, companies, platforms, etc. Generation by generation we are going more crazy by the mile... :shadedshu:

Yeah, hating people because of their actions is miles worse than when we used to just hate them because of the color of their skin or their religion.

So, apart from consoles and browsers, now we have DRM fanboys. Sheesh.

Hahaha, totally right, it's just distribution platform, I mean if you're a gamer you have minimum of 8 gig of ram, so what's wrong with another 50 MB, we should judge the game and not the distribution platform.

Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Yeah, hating people because of their actions is miles worse than when we used to just hate them because of the color of their skin or their religion.
Hating anyone for anything so small and unimportant for the real life is sickness, but whoever has the ability to understand that, wouldn't need to be told so.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
When society finally collapses in on itself because of a myriad of issues these kids will WISH they had something as silly as "platform wars" to complain about. You think when Pearl Harbor was bombed kids were complaining about silly things? No they were suiting up for war. Same with after the towers fell. Time for a little perspective to keep humanity strong.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hating anyone for anything so small and unimportant for the real life is sickness, but whoever has the ability to understand that, wouldn't need to be told so.

I totally understand that, but you are missing my point entirely. You statement that society is somehow getting worse because we hate people based on their actions is plain wrong and ignores history. I'm not saying it is OK, but it's better than what we've seen not all that long ago.

In my lifetime I've seen people murdered because of the color of their skin, murdered because of their religion, MURDERED because they come from the wrong country or because of their sexual orientation. And you are sitting here trying to tell us that you're worried about humanities direction because some pissed off consumers posted bad reviews about a company because that company did something the company knew would piss people off and would be unpopular. THAT is what concerns you about the direction humanity is going. Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
it wouldnt surprise me if Metacritic "removed" some of the negative score and reviews. An 84 still is not all that bad.

Keyboard Trust GXT280
I totally understand that, but you are missing my point entirely. You statement that society is somehow getting worse because we hate people based on their actions is plain wrong and ignores history. I'm not saying it is OK, but it's better than what we've seen not all that long ago.

In my lifetime I've seen people murdered because of the color of their skin, murdered because of their religion, MURDERED because they come from the wrong country or because of their sexual orientation. And you are sitting here trying to tell us that you're worried about humanities direction because some pissed off consumers posted bad reviews about a company because that company did something the company knew would piss people off and would be unpopular. THAT is what concerns you about the direction humanity is going. Sorry, but that bullshit.

You are the one totally missing the point here. You are bringing up the matter of the existence of people that are psycopaths and kill people for their skin colour or other differences between them (this has been happening since the beginning of the human existence on the planet) to cover the problem that is the existence of more people for every new generation that has been confusing the reality with games or virtual worlds and acting violently (vocally mainly atm) against others just for gaming matters. Since when should anyone defend this rapidly worsening behaviour just because there are psychopaths of every past generation? Gaming isn't real life people! Get on with it, stop wasting your life in virtuality and live your real life out of computers or consoles or smartphones! Just a friendly advice from a tech enthusiast who sees more and more people around him losing their precious time and spirits on such unimportant matters.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
the only review i have seen that did not like the game was jim sterling, and where as i usualy agree with him, i did not really agree with his rdr2 review as i played that through with my brother and didnt really notice any probkems, "well just the putting my guns back on the horse constantly, and not being able to sell the guns i no longer wanted in my inventory)

You are the one totally missing the point here. You are bringing up the matter of the existence of people that are psycopaths and kill people for their skin colour or other differences between them (this has been happening since the beginning of the human existence on the planet) to cover the problem that is the existence of more people for every new generation that has been confusing the reality with games or virtual worlds and acting violently (vocally mainly atm) against others just for gaming matters. Since when should anyone defend this rapidly worsening behaviour just because there are psychopaths of every past generation? Gaming isn't real life people! Get on with it, stop wasting your life in virtuality and live your real life out of computers or consoles or smartphones! Just a friendly advice from a tech enthusiast who sees more and more people around him losing their precious time and spirits on such unimportant matters.

i have to disagree.
Gaming as most things is a hobby for most, and is a lot like sports where people enjoy and compete in it. but if you compare it to sports you don't end up with riots because of gaming.
now publishers run a business. If a business decided to conduct shady practices then the people not only have a right to voice their opinions they have a duty to do so.
How they voiced their opinion initially was met with statements that basically amounted to "tough shit" So they then went and voiced their opinions in a different and non violent way.

what you are portraying is that they went out and started burning down buildings or something equally or even more aggressive.
If you honestly believe that "review bombing" is a sign of the world regressing in to anarchy then you have lead a sheltered life, the gaming comunity may be passionate about their hoby, but if you want to compare that to sports fans you would see the gaming community is acting a lot more reserved than some others.

Last edited:
System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
At this point I would like to remind everyone that 236 people review bombed meta-critic. there are 66M monthly active steam users... stop review bombing steam users in this thread...
And according to steam spy... 2-5M own the earlier metro games. On steam there have been 4-5k negative reviews on each of the redux titles in the past month... there is also a healthy amount of fake positive reviews in the past month detailing how to switch to epic...

Amusing that people are getting mad at a minority of consumers overreaction and do the same themselves... and somehow decide anticompetitive is A-ok.

(assuming 2m people own both titles and there is complete overlap, and that each review is unique) 0.4% of Metro 2033 consumers review bombed... it is probably closer to 0.2%.

Now can we get back to the merits of the discussion rather than being dismissive of arguments?

Last edited:
Reactions: 64K

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
At this point I would like to remind everyone that 236 people review bombed meta-critic. there are 66M monthly active steam users... stop review bombing steam users in this thread...

For such a small percentage of the total they did manage to cause a big stink.

System Name [H]arbringer
Motherboard SM GL
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Audio Device(s) yawn
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
For such a small percentage of the total they did manage to cause a big stink.

A lot more than 0.2% of the games owners are pissed at this anti-consumer move, but they aren't taking it out on the dev and previous games.

I don't get why aren't they simply selling on ALL platforms (that accept 3rd party games).
Jesus I really miss the time when you could have bought a game from a store, got a DVD and be done with it. No crappy online DRM and walled garden platform restrictions.

I despise Steam or any other DRM garden, if I am to like and defend something, it would only be GoG, because you get a DRM-free game that you just download and save on your USB stick or whatever and be done with it. NO FREEKIN' INTERNET NEEDED to play that game.
(Or any other online store that provided a digital copy to download and install like any other program, also DRM free)

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't get why aren't they simply selling on ALL platforms (that accept 3rd party games).
Jesus I really miss the time when you could have bought a game from a store, got a DVD and be done with it. No crappy online DRM and walled garden platform restrictions.

Epic paid Koch Media and Deep Silver to make it a timed exclusive on their store for 1 year. It will come back to Steam after that. Epic wants to get the bulk of the sales at full price in this way and draw gamers to their store.

System Name Sham Pc
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
its not a matter of defending steam for me.
If Steam had paid publishers Not to release on any other digital store for 1 year people would be in an uproar yelling anti competative anti consumer, and it would have probably ended up in court.
but for some reason because it was epic that did it some people dont see the issue, and they even turn around and say "well you can still buy it whats the problem" To me thats just missing the point.
I would say that i hope steam just starts paying other publishers to be exclusive for a year to steam and see how epic like that.
But I would have the same grievance with that as i do now.

now the people who have an issue because they want it on steam. I also understand. it was advertized on steam and steam has MANY advantages over epics launcher.
But i do not understand where people may want to defend epic by saying "its not an issue you can still buy the game or wait"
They 100% miss the point.
Not only was the game advertized as coming to steam and pulled at the last second "which people have a right to be angry about"
the reason why it was pulled from steam "because they were paid to pull it from all store fronts" is absolutely 100% anti competitive.
The same people not seeing this as an issue would have seen it as an issue if MS or STEAM pulled the same stunt.

also just to make it clear. i had no intention of buying this game on steam or anywhere else, but that does not mean that practices like this should be ignored by those of us with no vested interest in the game it is no good for any one.

If publishers/devs move to epic because they offer better % rates then thats one thing, and thats a fair market practice and would be up to steam to entice them back. but do you honestly believe that publisher saving isnt going to end up being the consumers cost to cover?
and what would happen if steam's costs stay the same and end users see better prices on steam so the publishers sell more compared to a better % on epic but the games cost more for the end users so tge publishers sell less..
OBVIOUSLY publishers understand that the difference in % is negligable compared to steams market reach. All epic had to do here was NOT pay to make the game exclusive and use that money to reduce the cost of the game (world wide) for the end users. That would have been acceptable.

Last edited:
Keyboard Trust GXT280
the only review i have seen that did not like the game was jim sterling, and where as i usualy agree with him, i did not really agree with his rdr2 review as i played that through with my brother and didnt really notice any probkems, "well just the putting my guns back on the horse constantly, and not being able to sell the guns i no longer wanted in my inventory)

i have to disagree.
Gaming as most things is a hobby for most, and is a lot like sports where people enjoy and compete in it. but if you compare it to sports you don't end up with riots because of gaming.
now publishers run a business. If a business decided to conduct shady practices then the people not only have a right to voice their opinions they have a duty to do so.
How they voiced their opinion initially was met with statements that basically amounted to "tough shit" So they then went and voiced their opinions in a different and non violent way.

what you are portraying is that they went out and started burning down buildings or something equally or even more aggressive.
If you honestly believe that "review bombing" is a sign of the world regressing in to anarchy then you have lead a sheltered life, the gaming comunity may be passionate about their hoby, but if you want to compare that to sports fans you would see the gaming community is acting a lot more reserved than some others.

Fanatics of any kind are a curse for any society. Comparing gaming ones with sports ones doens't make it any better as the last ones exist for over a century now, whereas not a generation has passed since gaming has become popular and thus, the signs are very bad in this act of life also. Which is totally virtual mind you...

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Fanatics and people voicing their legitimate grievances in a non violent way are 2 different things.
by your logic Gandhi was a fanatic.

also from the thread title, i would like to see where the proof that all of the bad reviews came from steam users angry that the game isnt on steam. (i dont doubt that a lot were) but to outright state it as a known fact is nothing more than yellow paper journalism.
Quite possible that a good % of people did not like the game, (although as mentioned the only reviewer so far i have found not liking it was jim sterling)

Last edited:
People have a choice to install Epic and play Metro Exodus now or simply wait for the Steam Version. But what people should not be doing is bashing the game because the publisher made a bad decision. Simply boycott the game for a year then buy it on Steam once available. If you are upset with this decision, e-mail the publisher and give them flack.
Your idea is great in theory, however it's one of those great in theory ideas that in reality is absolutely terrible. Here's how it would work: People boycott the game for a year, Epic do it again, and again, and again, until the whole industry is ****ed. This is one of those "once is once too many" situations.

I hate to use a WW2 analogy, but they're the easiest to do: If Europe had simply gotten on the same page and ragdolled Hitler when he invaded Austria then there wouldn't have been a problem, being civil about it and hoping he could be reasoned with is why another dozen countries fell. Likewise, if Epic are allowed to get away with this next level anti-consumer tactic once then they will have no issue doing it again and again.

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Your idea is great in theory, however it's one of those great in theory ideas that in reality is absolutely terrible. Here's how it would work: People boycott the game for a year, Epic do it again, and again, and again, until the whole industry is ****ed. This is one of those "once is once too many" situations.

I hate to use a WW2 analogy, but they're the easiest to do: If Europe had simply gotten on the same page and ragdolled Hitler when he invaded Austria then there wouldn't have been a problem, being civil about it and hoping he could be reasoned with is why another dozen countries fell. Likewise, if Epic are allowed to get away with this next level anti-consumer tactic once then they will have no issue doing it again and again.

its not just that..
what if steam now decided to pay publishers to be steam exclusives. then epic offer them more and steam then offer them more still. Who do you think will end up paying for that?? Epic? Steam? hell no it will be us.
there is no way that this sort of practice can be good for the consumers. and then in the end one of the company's will stop trying to compete and close down their store. Do you think the prices that they charged to pay for the competition will come down after it has become the norm??
(ask Nintendo what it took for them to stop charging ridiculous prices on games. it sure as hell wasn't because they cared about consumers)

People like to say "welcome to the free market" But that is not how it works.
And for consumers to get screwed over because of shady practices is just not on, and people should not just bend over and wait till its to late to say something.

Last edited:
System Name [H]arbringer
Motherboard SM GL
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Audio Device(s) yawn
Software Ubuntu 10.10

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
A lot of the negative reviews are about game breaking bugs and it being openworld for openworld sake and not story driven like the past 2....Not Epic.
I thought it was supposed to have a story, with the goal of finding a new home to the east?