• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Idea: Get your account back when compromised.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I realize this isn't a steam forum but a good many of us here on TPU use steam. I also realize that most us that do use steam are safe and secure and know better to avoid phishing sites and the likes. However, there are people who are extremely unlucky or not as wise who unfortunately do get their steam account hacked. And no matter how many games you have bought, this is bad. I believe steams current method of getting your account back effective but extremely inefficient. 2 Days of waiting (Or More) is far to long for a hacker to have your account. This should be the last attempt to get your account back.

So I've thought a bit for ways that would be safe and effective and not spamable (Or in the event someone did spam it easily taken care of).

Solution for Stolen/Hijacked Accounts

Steam should have the options for CC or Paypal verfication the moment an account is reported as Stolen or Hijacked.

For example.

I used certain CC information or perhaps a paypal account to purchase something on steam.

My account gets stolen.

I report through steam my account is stolen.

Steam should then instantly suspend the account. And require you to go through the Account Hijacked/Stolen Process.

Here is how I image the process to be.

Most likely your account got stolen due to a compromised computer (Keyloggers, virus, etc...) all you would be required to do is install steam on a known safe PC, click the My Account has been Stolen/Hijacked button insert your steam account name and go through the process. It would post a warning message something like "WARNING! Get on a PC other than the One you Got Hacked on before Proceeding." Due to keyloggers be sure you are on a safe PC scanned and free of all virus and maleware." You would then type in your Steam Account name and be required to either login to paypal or type in relevant CC information used to purchase previous games on your Steam Account. Once verified it will ask you for a new email address (Never before used) don't have one, make one and then change your pass from there. If for some reason this fails or for some reason you can't use this method, you can proceed with the longer steam account retrieval process.

Perhaps they could even release a septate program just for events like this. So you would download and use to get your PC back. Maybe it would even know the IP address you've used to login to steam and require you to use steam on a new PC at a different location.

Thoughts on this? Bad, Good, Well maybe if you did this..., waste of time and effort?

Last edited:
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
yeah but then people can just randomly claim your account stolen and lock you out of it. people are p#$@ks like that.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Good post. :) I'll read it properly later and comment. At work now.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
linking it with an SMS to reset your password would be nice. in the same way internet banking is linked to my phone number, if i try to send more then $XXXX money it will send a code to my phone witch i then have to input to complete the transaction.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
yeah but then people can just randomly claim your account stolen and lock you out of it. people are p#$@ks like that.

I thought about that, thats what I meant about spamable... But if your PC isn't really stolen then you have nothing to worry about. You just put your info in and get back in. Take maybe 5 min at most and you get play again.

Also you could make it so that you can't spam the account hijacked button for a ceratin account. Once its been done and your account has successfully been retrieved, you have to wait like a day before being able to do it again. With a message like "Account has been Retrieved. Wait time 23:59:22..."

linking it with an SMS to reset your password would be nice. in the same way internet banking is linked to my phone number, if i try to send more then $XXXX money it will send a code to my phone witch i then have to input to complete the transaction.

Yeah or that would be great too! If they could do that I'd set it up.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I keep a print out of most of my game purchases on paypal just in the event this happens.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
I keep a print out of most of my game purchases on paypal just in the event this happens.

Yea but submitting a ticket and waiting for them to reply can take a bit. Sometimes its relatively fast. But IMO 2 Days is far to long. My account got recently hacked and I'm on my second day here still waiting for a reply to my ticket.

The idea is to obtain your account as fast and reliably as possible.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
There is really no fast way to do it cause in the end your still waiting on steam to review your case and give you the account back

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
I thought about that, thats what I meant about spamable... But if your PC isn't really stolen then you have nothing to worry about. You just put your info in and get back in. Take maybe 5 min at most and you get play again.

Also you could make it so that you can't spam the account hijacked button for a ceratin account. Once its been done and your account has successfully been retrieved, you have to wait like a day before being able to do it again. With a message like "Account has been Retrieved. Wait time 23:59:22..."

Yeah or that would be great too! If they could do that I'd set it up.

i see where you are going and like it, im all for extra security on an account i have spent thousands of dollars on.

but with the recent security change, a secure email and password, the system is pretty secure. i know what happened to you, and it sucks - i also dread the day it may happen to me...

but i simply don't want a solution that may make it so i get locked out of my legitimate account, for any period of time. i hate having to type my password in when it "refreshes", etc. I do not want to have to verify I am the owner of my own account , simply because someone else hit a button,

I also don't want there to be a lock out period, where i can't use my games for a day or even hours , because it got marked as hacked once already.

I know you are just trying to consider options, and it's a good thing to do. just remember 99% of users are like me in this area, and Valve knows it. that's why they have not made a more intrusive security system as of yet. the chances of your account getting hacked if you follow precautions is very low, and to inconvenience customers (even a tiny bit) to lower the already low chances is not a smart business move.

fast or secure, it's a choice not a combo.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
i see where you are going and like it, im all for extra security on an account i have spent thousands of dollars on.

but with the recent security change, a secure email and password, the system is pretty secure. i know what happened to you, and it sucks - i also dread the day it may happen to me...

but i simply don't want a solution that may make it so i get locked out of my legitimate account, for any period of time. i hate having to type my password in when it "refreshes", etc. I do not want to have to verify I am the owner of my own account , simply because someone else hit a button,

I also don't want there to be a lock out period, where i can't use my games for a day or even hours , because it got marked as hacked once already.

I know you are just trying to consider options, and it's a good thing to do. just remember 99% of users are like me in this area, and Valve knows it. that's why they have not made a more intrusive security system as of yet. the chances of your account getting hacked if you follow precautions is very low, and to inconvenience customers (even a tiny bit) to lower the already low chances is not a smart business move.

fast or secure, it's a choice not a combo.

The lockout wasn't for you. The 24 Hours lock prevents any person attempting to spam your account as Hijacked from doing so.

I understand I'm like that too! Thats why I'm exploring the idea. Like I said 5 min and make it so it can only be done once a day. That way if a hacker targets your account and manages to get through the next day you can get your account back versus waiting 2+ days via Support Ticket.

There is really no fast way to do it cause in the end your still waiting on steam to review your case and give you the account back

No. Thats to be a last resort. This is more of an automated process to get your account back faster.