• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Issue

System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Every time I try to open steam it causes my computer to freeze. I can't start task manager or anything... and I'm forced to turn off the computer completely.

When I click on steam it says "installing platform"... loads to 99% and then the screen goes away and the computer freezes. So I tried uninstalling steam and then installing it again.. now a screen comes up that says "running steam in compatibility mode is not recommended"... so I press cancel or OK... and as soon as the box goes away the computer freezes. I checked the properties on steam and none of the compatibility modes are checked off.

I don't know what to do anymore... I have uninstalled and reinstalled steam twice now with the same results... steam won't open and the comp freezes. I tried uninstalling a bunch of programs that are listed on the steam website as programs that may interfere with steam... I also tried doing a system restore... and so far nothing has worked. I also deleted client registry.blob and deleted all the other files expect the steam.exe, steamapps and userdata.. just as steam recommends.

I didn't do anything differently when this problem first occurred on Thursday October 4th. I didn't install anything new and I don't recall my comp updating or anything... I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden. I tried scanning the computer and checking my firewall settings... but I still can't find the answer to this problem.

I also did the following:

To fix the issue:
Hit start->run->regedit
Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe
Delete that entry
If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

And still it freezes. I truly appreciate any help, Thank You