• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Net/server prob

BobBarr

Ok so after my comp decided to call it quits I've been using my netbook to do everything. I installed steam today and installed cs and half life and all the games like richochet,day of defeat and team fortress. I knew people and my friends still play cs 1.6 however after installing the game and going to join a server the application does not find any server in every game I downloaded. I checked at my friends house and he has servers.

My netbook is using windows 7 ultimate x86 and my anti virus was Norton 360.

In windows i disabled uac and checked that nothing was being blocked.
I uninstalled norton to see if that was blocking it but norton wasnt.
I checked that the required ports are open on my router.

My game run perfectly fine offline, no major lag etc.

I think its through windows 7, is there anything I've possibly missed?

Thanks.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I had a problem with old CS through Steam because the Steam Community option was on. I shut it off and didn't have any problems after that.

File>Settings>Community Tab, uncheck In-Game Community

Hope this helps.

Processor AMD PHENOM 9950BE x4 (140W)
Motherboard ASUS CROSSHAIR II (BIOS 2003)
Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Memory 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT XXX (740/1000)
Storage WD250x2 RAID0/Maxtor 500GB STORAGE
Display(s) SAMSUNG 23"/ACER 20"
Case COOLMASTER 690 CUSTOM
Audio Device(s) SUPREME FX II
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
Make sure no server filters are active, if they are make sure they are set correct.

BobBarr

I had a problem with old CS through Steam because the Steam Community option was on. I shut it off and didn't have any problems after that.

File>Settings>Community Tab, uncheck In-Game Community

Hope this helps.

Tried this. Didn't resolve the issue however but thankyou!

werez

have you tried right clicking on steam tray icon and then go to servers . Try that and let me know if it works .
Also try going to local files tab and click on verify of game cache . Also make sure the steam client is up to date .

Uhm do you get the :
"Could not contact master game server to retrieve server list" error? when you refresh the server page ?

Try deleting the file named clientregistry.blob ( you can find it in the steam folder ! remember not to have the steam client running )
Then put the file i will upload in : \STEAM\Config folder ( make sure you make the file read only )
Then start steam , and after the update it should work .

Uploaded file ( it's just a cfg file with the ip for the masterserver - let's the game know where to get the server list from )
http://www.2shared.com/file/10900430/967b283c/MasterServers.html

Also make sure that these ports are not blocked :
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

Last edited:

BobBarr

have you tried right clicking on steam tray icon and then go to servers . Try that and let me know if it works .
Also try going to local files tab and click on verify of game cache . Also make sure the steam client is up to date .

Uhm do you get the :
"Could not contact master game server to retrieve server list" error? when you refresh the server page ?

Try deleting the file named clientregistry.blob ( you can find it in the steam folder ! remember not to have the steam client running )
Then put the file i will upload in : \STEAM\Config folder ( make sure you make the file read only )
Then start steam , and after the update it should work .

Uploaded file ( it's just a cfg file with the ip for the masterserver - let's the game know where to get the server list from )
http://www.2shared.com/file/10900430/967b283c/MasterServers.html

Also make sure that these ports are not blocked :
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

Thankyou!!!! I did everything you mentioned previously but verify the cache. Well this time i did it all again and verified at the end and servers came up! Thanks once again!:rockout: