• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Offers Batman Arkham Knight Refunds After Second Failed PC Launch

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
GameWorks isn't the problem whatsoever, it's the fact that it's a port done wrong; as badly as it can be done. You probably can't even explain what GameWorks is without having to look it up. GameWorks runs just perfectly fine in all other current games I can think of which I am playing, and it worked fine in Arkham Origins. Please don't spread sensationalist nonsense if you don't really understand the problem.

So much for all the hopeful thinking I saw on this forum when the new generations of consoles were released.

The thinking was they are pc's now, and ports will be easier to do and play much better on pc's.

Um....yeeeeaaaahhh.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is what you get when you hire an inexperienced company to port the game to PC, and then only give them 2 weeks to do it, then try to just patch the mess instead of just re-porting it like they should have.

But, but...

Nvidia's GameWorks and QA teams are helping fix Batman: Arkham Knight

Nvidias Tom Petersen said:
"They made a few mistakes in getting the game out, it wasn't fully performance-optimized for PC. So now we're deploying our QA resources and our engineers to make that game as good as it can possibly be," Petersen said. "And I gotta tell you, on the releases I've seen, it is a fantastic game. It plays great, it's a ton of fun, the effects are amazing, and I'm pretty sure when Warner Bros. makes it available on Steam again, that people are going to be delighted."

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I got this game free with a video card and started playing it over the weekend. I'm not having any issues at all. Pretty enjoyable I suppose.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Over the software lifetime, yes, they are. 10 years from now, people will still be buying the game on Steam, GOG, uPlay, Origin, and the like. 10 years from now, the only people buying Arkham Knight on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be the used market which generates very little revenue for the publisher. They're going to fix it--they can't afford to not fix it.

eh not really.
You can buy games digitally on the consoles as well and more and more older games are made to work for the newer platforms.
Hell Xbox One is getting full Xbox 360 compatibility and you can bet your ass they will put those games for sale digitally once that is here.
Future console market also still be a bigger market for games.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

This reminds me of Splinter Cell Blacklist and its crash after 20-30 minutes of gameplay which a lot of users still experience and has not been fixed to date.

I suppose business as usual, minimum investment and maximum return, just more severe bugs this time.

I am not sure if Gameworks was the main reason to be blamed for issues in Arkham Knight, but developers should take a note from this incident and be very cautious using Gameworks API in their game.
Gameworks API can't be the problem because many of the best AAA titles in the market use Gameworks API like MGS5 Phantom Pain and GTA 5 but the main problem is that the game built for the Sh***ty consoles XBOne and PS4 and then WB try to make the game as good as the old Batman titles while they used a cheap studio to do a reversed porting job from the cheap quality consoles and try make it look as good as Batman:AC or MGS5. No way.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
I got this game free with a video card and started playing it over the weekend. I'm not having any issues at all. Pretty enjoyable I suppose.

so it works on NV hardware on PC and on AMD consoles, but not on AMD pc's?

I don't get it seriously wtf is the issue and why can't they fix it? If anything I would expect it to work great with AMD soc's and suck on everything else.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
eh not really.
You can buy games digitally on the consoles as well and more and more older games are made to work for the newer platforms.
Hell Xbox One is getting full Xbox 360 compatibility and you can bet your ass they will put those games for sale digitally once that is here.
Future console market also still be a bigger market for games.
As Global PC Game Revenue Surpasses Consoles, How Long Should Console Makers Keep Fighting?
The Console War Is Over: The PC Already Won
PC gaming expected to be worth $35 billion in 2018
Console gaming is still dead - and the PC is only getting better

Look at the two major technologies over the horizon that will define gaming in the next decade: 4K and VR. VR requires, at bare minimum, 1080p * 2; 4K requires 1080p * 4. PlayStation 4 is doing great to hit 1080p, nevermind double that.

The reason why consoles are making a push to digital is because non-digital is on its deathbed for the same reason it is almost extinct on PC.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
The only game I can recall that went that way was Witcher 2 and it didn't go well. It took over a year to port and they found they pretty much had to recode the entire engine substructure to make it work. When developing for multiplatform, it's best to do them simultaneously. That's the way Witcher 3 was done. Optimizations that had to be made for consoles can also make the game run better on lower end hardware on Windows. Rockstar has the formula right: develop all simultaneously and give PC the extra TLC it requires.

I really see no obvious reasons why Arkham Knight is exceptionally poor in terms of PC release. I'm sure Warner Bros knows and probably Rocksteady too but they probably aren't saying anything. All four games use the same engine and Rocksteady developed all except one (Arkham Origins).

Yet what is funny about this is that the consoles are all x86. There isn't a RISC to CISC translation that needs to be done like the prior gen. Ideally all they'd have to do is slap a PC sticker on an Xbone game and be done with it. Granted it is more than that but still, just saying how much easier it is to port to PC than before.

How AK is still struggling like this just reeks to me of developer caused problems. Perhaps this title was originally in dev for 360/PS3 before changing to PS4/XB1. If it got into a later stage before dev was switched, I could imagine the trouble it's having now. Course at the same time I wonder how they've gotten it to work on PS4/XB1 so well. Unless of course the engine is just a utter mess of a patch job right now getting it to work in a CISC environment and PC implementation, even gameworks, is showing the holes in that patchwork mess.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
As Global PC Game Revenue Surpasses Consoles, How Long Should Console Makers Keep Fighting?

Look at the two major technologies over the horizon that will define gaming in the next decade: 4K and VR. VR requires, at bare minimum, 1080p * 2; 4K requires 1080p * 4. PlayStation 4 is doing great to hit 1080p, nevermind double that.

The reason why consoles are making a push to digital is because non-digital is on its deathbed for the same reason it is almost extinct on PC.

Ill im getting from that is that you yourself really want this to be the case and not so much an actual objective view.

4k is just a resolution, nothing more, nothing less, sure its being hyped as it gives monitor/tv makers new sh!t to sell you just like "full High definition omg fo realz?!?!" before that.
The great great great majority of gamers dont even know what resolution anything runs on and much less care.
These are the same people that also by 100 dollar HDMI cables cuz better quality....

"VR requires, at bare minimum, 1080p * 2"
yeah, fantastic, now how many people will want to sit with such a piece of gear on their heads?
Not that many in the grand scheme of things im afraid, its mostly a gimmick until they can actually make it work in tvs.

Consoles add in digital because more potential money, that much is pretty obvious.
My point was that older titles get released on go on deals etc just like older games do on Steam etc, so in future console installments older titles will still be bought on the consoles as well.

(that being said, imo consoles are becoming more and more like PC's anyway so soon the distinction will be meaningless)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Not that many in the grand scheme of things im afraid, its mostly a gimmick until they can actually make it work in tvs.
It'll never work on TVs which is another reason why it is a dead end for consoles. VR is the next huge thing in gaming. Valve and many others are pouring big bucks into solving the technical issues with VR. It is coming, and it is coming fast.

Consoles are just crippled PCs with stripped down operating systems
Ill im getting from that is that you yourself really want this to be the case and not so much an actual objective view.

4k is just a resolution, nothing more, nothing less, sure its being hyped as it gives monitor/tv makers new sh!t to sell you just like "full High definition omg fo realz?!?!" before that.
The great great great majority of gamers dont even know what resolution anything runs on and much less care.
These are the same people that also by 100 dollar HDMI cables cuz better quality....

"VR requires, at bare minimum, 1080p * 2"
yeah, fantastic, now how many people will want to sit with such a piece of gear on their heads?

Consoles add in digital because more potential money, that much is pretty obvious.
My point was that older titles get released on go on deals etc just like older games do on Steam etc, so in future console installments older titles will still be bought on the consoles as well.

(that being said, imo consoles are becoming more and more like PC's anyway so soon the distinction will be meaningless)
The XB1/PS4 CPU is less powerful than any CORE i5 since 2500k and the GPU is less powerful than GTX 650. So the consoles are two generations old at lunch day. And excepting any thing good from them is like giving a monkey a typewriter and expecting a best seller novel.

System Name Red Team Build
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory HyperX Predator 64GB 3200CL16 (4X16GB)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage OS: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB ;Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715h, Samsung 43RU7100
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Audio Device(s) AUDIO-GD NFB11.28 DAC-Headphone Amp, beyerdynamic T1mk2, Sennheiser HD58X, JBL LSR305 Monitors
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 LUX RGB (MX RED)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
The 8 core jaguar is like 2 quadcore atoms in term of performance,nothing even close to an i5 , and the GPU on the PS4 is actually almost a 7850 , but the one on the X1 is alot less powerfull . still playing on medium at 1920X1200 with a 2GB 270X even thought the game says it will use 2.7GB FOR MEDIUM TEXTURES ? WTF ? it uses closer to 1.8-9 an its playable at 40-45FPS , the 270X always at 99% usage and the my I5 3470 is at 35-40% usage , so i don't regret buying it 20$ , and i think the game it self is actually very good until it comes to coding .

System Name MainRig
Processor i5 3570K @3.8
Motherboard Asrock Z77E-ITX
Cooling Coolermaster
Memory 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 780 Ghz Edition 3GB
Storage Crucial 240GB mSATA | Crucial 480 GB | Seagate 1TB SSHD
Display(s) 3x LG 22" @ Custom Mount
Case Lian Li Q08b
Power Supply Antec HCG 620w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard TT Meka
Software Debian Jessie | Win 7 Ultimate
If I didn't know better (hell, maybe I'm right), I'd say all of the crap PC games are a conspiracy by publishers to damage the PC reputation (we know how much power they exert over devs). They don't like PC gaming, in fact, they hate it. They want everyone on console to double, triple and quadruple dip their profits.

Why produce good content if you can just force everyone to a locked platform, charge w/e you want, then charge more for a few "extras" that you didn't unlock originally? And make money off online subs!

There's literally no excuse with the money and talent behind the scenes of why shit can't get done properly. Are they Hollywood accounting or what?
This was RARELY a problem before the internet allowed easy patches (like this day 1 BS from every game).

I played tons of games in the 90s through the early '00s in which I never had to update. I completed them with no big bugs and no performance issues (every single one was smooth as butter). And you if you do a comparison of graphics quality vs hardware at the time vs now, then you'll realize what a joke games are today. All the HP in the world can't run some new titles.

Of course, maybe they're just that lazy and stupid. Even consoles have had major issues with crashing, abysmal performance and bugs.

I also blame Nvidia. They're not helping anything with their shadiness. Helping to ruin performance isn't doing the platform one bit of good. But what do they care? Short term profits rule!

Thank you. This is exactly the way I think.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yet another shithole game that nvidia infected with Gameworks, or doesn't work. Its a cheap 200 pound bondo filler fix to a series that frankly holds no interest with their shit ideas about forcing a specific hardware. I hope the studio gets sued by users unable to get a refund and dies the horrible death it deserves.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
It's a shame they buggered the performance so severely, because its actually a good/fun game. Better than Arkham Oranges I'd say.

Yet another shithole game that nvidia infected with Gameworks, or doesn't work. Its a cheap 200 pound bondo filler fix to a series that frankly holds no interest with their shit ideas about forcing a specific hardware. I hope the studio gets sued by users unable to get a refund and dies the horrible death it deserves.
Why everytime something go wrong some one try to put the blame on someone else . WB did a bad call and designed the game for consoles because it's cheaper and let the big job for a small company . In the first place they should make the game for PC and then down grade it for consoles. But no Sir we want to milk every piny we can.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It's a shame they buggered the performance so severely, because its actually a good/fun game. Better than Arkham Oranges I'd say.
Mmm, oranges.

I think Origins is my least favorite of them all but it also wasn't produced by Rocksteady.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
It'll never work on TVs which is another reason why it is a dead end for consoles. VR is the next huge thing in gaming. Valve and many others are pouring big bucks into solving the technical issues with VR. It is coming, and it is coming fast.

Not saying it aint coming, im saying it wont appeal to the real masses, which was your entire argument as to why PC users were the biggest userbase, which is just not the case.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
If you view steam forum for this game, there are kids who are demanding refund for this game which they got for free as a promo w/ their card purchase.

I find that more hilarious than this spectacular failure.

So...basically wanting something for nuthin. Ain't that some s%&t!

If you view steam forum for this game, there are kids who are demanding refund for this game which they got for free as a promo w/ their card purchase.

I find that more hilarious than this spectacular failure.

So...basically wanting something for nuthin. Ain't that some s%&t!
Well Nvidia marketed "a game" to incentify the purchase of card, and now such consumers have nuthin... I’m surprised the idea of "bait and vaporware" is not the foremost in this thread.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
"Brokenware" is more appropriate than "vaporware," methinks.