• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries Ikari Laser Gaming Mouse

The SteelSeries Ikari Laser mouse is the first ever mouse to be designed by legendary mouse pad maker SteelSeries. The mouse features a 3200 DPI laser sensor and boasts a lift-off distance of only 1.8 mm. Coupled with some never before seen features this mouse is clearly a winner.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodiuh

Is it better than the Deathadder?

calvary1980

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield L724A629 @ 3.8Ghz 423x9 1.47v
Motherboard Abit IP-35 Pro Beta 16.B04 (vDroop)
Cooling 6x Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, EK Multi Option 2 Port, dB-1 Compact, Swiftech MCR80, Swiftech Apogee GT
Memory 2x1 OCZ Flex XLC PC-9200 @ 5-5-5-18 1220 2.3v
Video Card(s) Inno3D Geforce 8800GTS 320
Storage Western Digital Raptor X 150
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22"
Case Cooler Master RC-690
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1
Power Supply Thermaltake ToughPower 1000
I love steelseries products from keyboards to mice and headset, the basic functionality of their products are so impressive for example the 6G Keyboard it doesn't have many features like the G15 however the tactile response time, ergonomics and connectors make it the better keyboard in my opinion, I agree there products are not for the budget gamer. great review it was well written thank you :)

- Christine

Darkc

Im looking to buy the SS mouse, or Deathadder. rly dont want to wait for 5 days for this SS to get shiped, and the deathadder is just right in my local bestbuy, but wuts this problem with "Scroll wheel problems (random press and jam)" I got really upset when i saw the con.

The SteelSeries Ikari Laser mouse is not better than the DeathAdder for low or medium sensitivity for that matter. The SteelSeries has slightly better ergonomics and the sensor is a wee bit better for high sensitivity gaming. The scroll wheel is very sensitive to sideways pressure, if you try and scroll while putting even the tiniest bit of sideways pressure on the wheel will make it jam.

kysg

System Name Workhorse lappy
Processor AMD A6 3420
Memory 8GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) ATI radeon 6520G
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD SATAIII
Display(s) 15inch LCD
Software Windows 7 64bit
How would it compare to the g9 laser mouse.

The G9 is a horrible mouse so it is much better, tracking is equally good but the ergonomics of the SS is better and it is less gimmicky.

kysg

System Name Workhorse lappy
Processor AMD A6 3420
Memory 8GB DDR3 1066
Video Card(s) ATI radeon 6520G
Storage OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD SATAIII
Display(s) 15inch LCD
Software Windows 7 64bit
it's horrible???

hmmm I gotta think about this.

I find that oddd....my it just looks the like it supports both hand orientations left and right has the same dpi.

and then the feet may be different 4 instead of 3 on G9,

then there are the weights which I don't bother with and then there would be the grips. not sure if they use any material but on my g9 there is some film coming off on the right side. and the little g9 logo is starting to rub off but I may just buy a new grip and clean it up.

not trying to sound like a fanboy.

but still guess I should do more research on mouses and keyboards. Since I've always gone logitech. Maybe it is time for change. Razer or SS might not be a bad move.

Well I have used the G9 a couple of times and the ergonomics is killing my wrist. I have a few other friends who had the exact same experience. And when it comes to sensor placement, balance, and glide the G9 is not nearly as good as the SS, the DeathAdder or the older MX518 which is the last great gaming mouse from Logitech in my opinion.

I find the weight system useless you should always go for a mouse that is in balance to begin with not one where you can even it out by adding lumps of metal. A mouse should be balanced and light when of the mat.

There are a lot of factors to consider, but ultimately you should go with what you are comfortable with, and fell provide you with a good "tool" for games or work. The G9 does not cut it for me as I feel there are too many obvious errors in the design.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the Logitech designers should know all the pitfalls in mice design by now, but they have not been able to come up with a halfdecent design since the MX518 which really combined it all for me, a great sensor that can track movement precisely and at great speeds with good ergonomics. Plus it had buttons that were great to use and were placed correctly. The G5 missed a button and had a way inferior laser sensor, the G9 has a better sensor (still not as good for low and medium sensitivity gaming as that of the MX518), but it has bad ergonomics and a lot of useless features.

Darkc

****QUOTE**** The SteelSeries Ikari Laser mouse is not better than the DeathAdder for low or medium sensitivity ****QUOTE****

Well, im a very hardcore FPS gamer, and my main game is CSS, and 1.6, now I know DPI = to your sensitivity level, and for me I like mine low in those two games around 2.7

Now does DPI affect that or no, like I have 2.7 sens in css, and my mouse is set to 2000DPI, will that change my gameplay/sensitivity.

If the deathadder is set for high sensitivity levels, i might re-think about geting it, im trained for low, even though i heard about how you can change DPI setting on that mouse. I have also heard that the lower you put DPI on deathadder the mouse doesnt work as affencient as it should? True or False?

Also, if some one could explain the DPI setting on mouse to Gameing sensitviity, whats the difference?

THANK YOU! :D

I will try and answer both you questions.

First of all if you set you sensitivity to 6/11 in the windows mouse handler you have the sensitivity of your mouse in windows applications. 2000 DPI without any scaling whatsoever in your case (remember to remove mouse acceleration and "Enhance pointer precision). For games you are adding another sensitivity parameter since they allow you to adjust the in-game sensitivity. So in games ones sensitivity relative to the sensitivity of the mouse DPI count x Windows sensitivity x in-game sensitivity (and acceleration in some games).

If you have a mouse with its own driver suite that gets added into the equation after the windows sens, although some mice software only manipulates the windows sens.

So what is to be regarded as respectively, low, medium and high sensitivity. I use this general rule: make a 180 degree turn in a FPS game and see how far a distance the mouse has traveled. Low is over 12 cm (4.8 inch), high is when you use less than 5 cm which is roughly 2 inches to do a 180 degree turn, medium is basically anything in between from like 5-12 cm.

A high sensitivity gamer usual makes full 180 degrees turn by a flick of the wrist while a medium sensitivity gamer uses roughly half of a normal sized mat for the same operation. A low sensitivity gamer uses a big mat and makes big arm movements and constantly resets the mouse to the center of the mat after each turn.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
its look like left hand mouse ..... odd thing

edit: more strange in review says its Not for left handed people.

It is a right handed mouse, thumb buttons on the left side of the mouse. The arch is also only suited for right handed use.