• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange flickering in certain games

Processor Intel Core i5 2500k 4.5ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Antec Kühler H2O 620
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866mhz
Video Card(s) Asus R9 280x DirectCUII
Storage Samsung 1TB F3 HD103SJ
Display(s) Asus VS228H + AOC 2369
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Antec Truepower 650w
Software Windows 7 SP1 64bit
Hello!

I have noticed a slight flickering on certain games, I only recently put this computer together but I have had the graphics card a few months now, and even on my old computer I noticed flickering in a few games. The flicking in GTA IV is probably the most noticeable aswell as the Skyrim menu screen.

Unfortunately I am unable to take a video of it as for some reason it just simply does not appear in the recording.

I have tried using the latest beta drivers, uninstalling them and using driver sweeper and trying the latest WHQL ones to no avail. My power supply is more than enough for the GPU so I am unsure what could be causing it.

My monitor is an Acer X233H using a VGA cable to connect. Could the cable be causing the flickering? As I said, its only noticeable in certain games, and as far as I can tell, the only thing the games have in common, is that they are "dark" and feature alot of darker colours, the flicking is most noticeable against black.

Last edited:
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Yeah, you are going to need more information than that if you want help. Full System specs, have you overclocked anything, and is this immediate and constant.

Off the top of my head, you should not be using VGA on a modern computer period. This issue could be the VGA signal is fluxuating the refresh rate. You need to connect your monitor with DVI or HDMI which are full digital signals. I am 100%, but this may stop the issue you are having.

As I own that exact monitor, I know it came with a DVI and HDMI cable so I don't understand why you are not using them.

Yeah, you are going to need more information than that if you want help. Full System specs, have you overclocked anything, and is this immediate and constant.

Yeah sorry thought you would be able to pull it from the forum. Specs to follow:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68
CPU : Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU : MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr
RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
PSU : Antec 650w Truepower

The CPU is overclocked to 4.5ghz but even at stock the flickering happens. Temperatures are in the mid 30s to 40s under load.

The flickering also happens regardless if I overclock the GPU or not, but as I said, its only certain games, not all. [/quote]

As I own that exact monitor, I know it came with a DVI and HDMI cable so I don't understand why you are not using them.

Mine does not have HDMI or DVI. As far as I can remember, there were 2 "versions" of the monitor, one that had all 3 inputs and one that only had VGA. Mine unfortunately only has VGA, I have had the monitor for 2 years now, and I never noticed any flickering before.

what have you overclocked in the past?
what Operating System are u using Windows xxx 32/64?
i would stick to the beta drivers and run everything stock and see if it happens if so then i would personally say it sounds like you may have overclocked your video card too much and possible damaged it. If you have a spare video card stick it in there and see if it does the same thing.

I did a little reading on the internet, people had the same problems and it was because he was using VGA>DVI and it was causing problems, I plan on getting a new monitor soon anyway!

could also be bent monitor pins, you should try a different monitor or video card and see what happens