1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange Memory problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Flake, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi to everyone, and thanks in advance for any assistance anyone cares to give!

I have a rather odd memory issue which no one else seems to have experienced or is able to fathom (at least on dome of the other forums or techies I've asked).

System is X99 Asus Deluxe 3.1 with a 5820K 32GB of Corsair 2666MHz 8GB X4 Ram ,780Ti OCZ 1000W Gold PSU & Two 850EVO in raid 0

The system works fine 90% of the time except when gaming when it falls over with BSOD which appear to be memory related, however the memory itself tests A OK and if there are two stick in then it's as stable as you could ever want a PC to be. Working through every combination possible with the sticks will not recreate the fault, it's only when there are all four sticks present that it falls over.

Currently the motherboard is being RMA's and I will be replacing it with the X99 Deluxe II, but that is only based on suspicions because there are other issues with the board anyways.

As I understand it the X99 memory controller is not on the motherboard, but the CPU the photos of which appear to show four distinct areas one for each channel. I am supposing that if the motherboard when returned does not cure the issue that the next place to look is the CPU ?

I have not tried increasing voltages on the memory which might possibly be an issue, but seeing as it falls over at 2133 and at 2666 I don't think it's going to be that.

Any ideas welcome !

2. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    First thing to check after BSOD is event viewer. 2nd is to see if you can duplicate the crash everytime and note the conditions for the crash. 3rd is to record a log using HWinfo64 or Aida64 or whatever to show temps and voltage changes.

Also post a system log from Speccy or whatever.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Capitan Harlock says thanks.
  3. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your reply.

I've used 'whocrashed' which indicates it's something to do with memory, although the BSOD is not consistent, it is consistent about memory. Going to be a bit difficult to post any system logs until I have a motherboard again though!

4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    On any system the more mem sticks you fit the more demanding it is on the mem controller
    while it may be stable with 2 (duel channel)
    fitting 4 sticks puts more load on the controller
    you usually need to increase the voltage to the controller to compensate for running 4 sticks

Post the above requested screenshots (requested data ) and people that run similar board will tell you if you are running correct voltage for your situation

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    DeathtoGnomes says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's running the stock unchanged voltage without any changes applied (or rather it has been) sounds like when I get the new one some tweaks need to be applied.

dorsetknob says thanks.
  6. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    what is whocrash? I assume thats not the windows event log.

EDIT: Maybe the issue will disappear with the new motherboard.

not all memory controllers are created equal, when using 4 sticks Luck becomes a factor when sticks are not on the QVL.

dorsetknob says thanks.
  7. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

WhoCrashed shows the drivers that have been crashing your computer with a single click. In most cases it can pinpoint the offending drivers that have been causing misery on your computer system in the past. It does post-mortem crashdump analysis and presents all gathered information in a comprehensible way.

8. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    Lazymans diagnosis. :banghead:

Knowing how to read windows event viewer when trying to repair your own PC is priceless. :rockout:

9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like memory to me but I would not rule out the graphics card at this stage, only because you have said that it only occurs whilst gaming. So for me the first thing I would do is download some memory benching software and thrash that CPU with some runs, this way you do keep the graphics card out of the equation, if she crashes then it would confirm you are probably right.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. therealmeep

therealmeep

Thanks Received:
    Run a memtest so you can confirm the ram is good. Work from there.

11. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    Done that and it passes every time

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Give us the hex code for the bsod, stats with 0x000, the less information you give us the less we can help you, the more the better.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    That suggests therefore that it's not a memory problem, if not it's possibly graphics card or maybe PSU, is it a multi or single rail unit?

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Won't that Depend on if he tested 1 stick at a time or 2 sticks or all 4 at the same time ???
    each stick may be OK but you cannot rule out mem problems using 2 sticks or all 4 ??

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    can we stop using the magic 8-ball now? :banghead:

17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    dorsetknob says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I got the new X99 Deluxe II today and rebuilt the system, and it all appeared to work with the BIOS post recognising all the RAM, and all the storage devices plus the CPU and GPU correctly. Alas when i powered it down and turned it back on again it failed to post, stuck on A2 which indicates it can't find a HDD, which it was fine with only a few minutes previous. So it's out with all the other SATA cables save the main ones, and check power is connected but nothing changes.

I've tried the memory flashback with latest BIOS, and clear CMOS, even took the battery out, but no change. It seems the SATA controller failed and can't see the attached drives. Unless of course anyone has any alternative suggestions ?

19. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Check the timings.

20. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    How when the BIOS won't post ?

21. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I was replying to the original post of this thread.

22. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah

23. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Could the BIOS have altered the SATA type? You mentioned you had a RAID system in the OP: perhaps the BIOS has changed it to AHCI option instead of RAID?

24. Flake New Member

Thanks Received:
    When it posted originally it was set in the EZ bios to off but was enabled before I F10'd it even if it changed it to non raid it should still post so long as it detects a HDD

25. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    But you said you cleared CMOS and this resets the value to it's default, which may not be the value you need.

Still, the HDDs should be detected by the BIOS: something is amiss. Have you tried the HDDs individually, and on each SATA port? Just to rule out damaged SATA port(s).